Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
And on that note, if the Republican party would throw the crazy christian wing overboard and never look back, I would come back in a heartbeat.
There's still a lot of high money donors in that crowd, so don't expect total rejection, but their influence is waning from what I'm hearing in my wanderings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Probably still no closer to a party split even if the dichotomy continues to grow. There does seem to be a lot of mutual resentment between mainstream Repubs and the far-right.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:46 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Probably still no closer to a party split even if the dichotomy continues to grow. There does seem to be a lot of mutual resentment between mainstream Repubs and the far-right.
You're right, there is. However, this has not been a recent phenomenon just because Trump became President.

The hard left turn that the Democratic Party has taken starting with Obama's reign and the followers of the economically challenged Bernie Sanders has created an even bigger party divide when it comes to it's voters. This is especially true in a state such as Iowa where core values are still important. Nancy Pelosi's panic to identify more with the radicals taking over the party is disenfranchising the independent voters in states like Iowa and it's neighbors as well.

Barring any radical change to the direction of the existing status quo, I feel real confident in my assessment that Iowa will be leaning more red come 2020.

Last edited by jmgg; 02-04-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 10:22 AM

People like to mock Iowa when it comes to selecting presidential candidates because it whiffs so much. But in general, Iowans also tend to favor candidates such as Bill Clinton and GWB because neither of them stray too far from the center. Both HRC and Donnie T. were fairly well-disliked throughout Iowa, and Trump won mainly because the western 1/4 of the state carried him.

Although many Dems and Repubs alike would like to see Trump get bumped off the Republican ticket, there probably isn't a conservative candidate charismatic enough to defeat him in the primaries. And the Democratic side doesn't look too promising either. He may be a longshot to secure the nomination, but Jay Inslee might be the Dem's best bet to win Iowa should that happen.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:40 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
People like to mock Iowa when it comes to selecting presidential candidates because it whiffs so much. But in general, Iowans also tend to favor candidates such as Bill Clinton and GWB because neither of them stray too far from the center. Both HRC and Donnie T. were fairly well-disliked throughout Iowa, and Trump won mainly because the western 1/4 of the state carried him.

Although many Dems and Repubs alike would like to see Trump get bumped off the Republican ticket, there probably isn't a conservative candidate charismatic enough to defeat him in the primaries. And the Democratic side doesn't look too promising either. He may be a longshot to secure the nomination, but Jay Inslee might be the Dem's best bet to win Iowa should that happen.
I agree with everything you just stated, except that I can't respond to your mention of Jay Inslee. I try to stay pretty up on politics, but I'll have to admit that I needed to Google his name just to find out where he was from. I had only heard of him previously in passing. He is pretty much an unknown right now, but who knows.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Yes, he's not a big name right now, but he seems to be one of the more palatable candidates thus far. The media is absolutely fawning over the diversity of the Dems' field (record number of minorities, women, and gay candidates) but most of these candidates either are too extreme politically, have some sort of agenda, or both.

He's probably not quite as close to the center as Bill Clinton, but he's almost certainly closer than the field.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:44 PM

I had to google him, as well. I will predict that he'll test the waters and then back out. He's got a nice gig out West. Why ruin it?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess Iowa is just a swing state that rarely votes along party lines. Similar to Wisconsin in many ways.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Iowa/Midwest democrats are old school blue collar democrats. Jobs, unions, workers rights etc.

Trump talked about jobs. In hindsight it's easy to see why Trump won.

All Hillary had to do was park her ass in Wisconsin/Michigan and beat on the union drum. IIRC she never even stepped foot in Wisconsin.

No one cares about transgender bathrooms and inclusiveness when they can't find even a $35k a year job.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
No one cares about transgender bathrooms and inclusiveness when they can't find even a $35k a year job.
Yep. It's still about the economy. When people can't afford their beer and bling, they get really restless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa