Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:34 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times

Advertisements

Trying to get some insight on this college and town for a college bound child. Can anyone give me some feedback on the reputation of this school as well as info on its athletic programs. How is the weather compared to the West Coast? What is the town/city atmosphere like? Is the college right in town or more on the outskirts? Would be looking at the baseball program hear if anyone knows about.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:22 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Grinnell has an EXCELLENT, nationally rated, liberal arts academic program. In fact, US News and World Report ranks the college #13 in liberal arts colleges in the entire US! Sorry, I don't know anything about sports.

The town is very small, but also very cute and economically healthy. The college is right in town, so it is very integrated into town life. The students come from all over the country and also from many other countries, and seem to be very nice well mannered kids, which makes sense because they have to be intelligent and hard working to even be admitted to Grinnell College.

Middle Iowa weather is much more extreme than CA weather. Summers are very hot and humid and winters are very cold and snowy.

I used to live near Grinnell and would go into town to go to the farmers market, movie theater, and special events, and have always liked the town very much.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 10-08-2020 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 03:39 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
Any other insight on this school?
Thanks

Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Any other insight on this school?
Thanks
I am an independent college advisor, so I do have some thoughts.

Grinnell College is one of my personal favorite Liberal Arts Colleges. I prefer it to some Ivy Leagues and East Coast "almost Ivies". It ranks 25 or 26 among US LACs, which is not at all shabby.

Grinnell offers a rigorous and comprehensive liberal arts education. It is ranked "highly selective". It is not known as a party school. The students their are serious.

It's a nationally ranked college and draws applicants from all over the US, many from the United States, including the East and West coast.

I really do not know much about their sports program, probably because it is not a "sports oriented" school.

This may be of help - https://www.niche.com/colleges/grinnell-college/

Old 10-11-2020, 06:30 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am an independent college advisor, so I do have some thoughts.

Grinnell College is one of my personal favorite Liberal Arts Colleges. I prefer it to some Ivy Leagues and East Coast "almost Ivies". It ranks 25 or 26 among US LACs, which is not at all shabby.

Grinnell offers a rigorous and comprehensive liberal arts education. It is ranked "highly selective". It is not known as a party school. The students their are serious.

It's a nationally ranked college and draws applicants from all over the US, many from the United States, including the East and West coast.

I really do not know much about their sports program, probably because it is not a "sports oriented" school.

This may be of help - https://www.niche.com/colleges/grinnell-college/
Glad to have your input on Grinnell because I have a friend who went there and he can't say enough good things about it. And in the plains states it certainly is considered top notch.

The only criticism I've ever heard about Grinnell is that the town of Grinnell is kind of small and that some kids say they have to drive over to Des Moines or Iowa City for their nightlife and such.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:10 AM

40 posts, read 44,137 times
I attended Grinnell, so did my sibling.

Academically a solid school.

I would NOT even send my own kid there even if they were smart enough to get in. No way these days.

It is a LEFTIST bastion, nope, I'm not talking about "liberal" either. It has unanimity of leftist thought by left-wing professors and administrators. It's also full of left wing homosexual activists.

Nope, the place is too expensive to get indoctrinated. It's not worth the money. The only other school is worse is Wisconsin -Madison. Grinnell used to be called The Harvard of the Midwest.

If you kid wants balance of social and academic thought, he's not going to get it at Grinnell College. Pick a cheaper State School. A "Liberal Arts" School these days is practically worthless.

My sibling wouldn't send his own daughter there either - not now, not ever. I declined the acceptance to Dartmouth to attend Grinnell - and what a mistake. I ended up in grad school in the South, and law school. I rec'd a far more balanced education and social construct.

My opinion? PASS, if not really RUN

Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
You don't have to be an extremist Republican to disagree with some of the doctrines advocated on college campuses.

Many state schools are just as bad. Best alternative are the higher ranked private schools run by a religious denomination.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:43 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Grinnell is a great, small liberal-arts college. Lots of intelligent students and faculty from all around the country and world; there's little wonder why Grinnell is so highly rated... A good friend of mine years ago went there and loved it. It is isolated in the Iowa cornfields, but is in a very progressive, industrious small town that really supports the college.

As for being some 'liberal bastion', if your politics is so important to you and that everybody in a school must think exactly like you, then by all means, go somewhere where you/your kids, will be comfortable... Hilsdalle College, Oral Roberts, BYU or Liberty would probably be more your speed, and that's your right. And btw, even at those so-called 'liberal bastions' like Grinnell or Wisconsin or Berkeley, there are plenty of right-leaning students and Republican and strong pro-Christian groups on campus.

But some people want a college to be total right-wing group think otherwise, it's too liberal/radical/communist for them. And even the prior posters negative comment about "homosexuals" shows where his/her mindset is. Folks like that are better off going somewhere else because people like me or my kids wouldn't want him/her there, anyway.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:10 AM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzyhippie View Post

It is a LEFTIST bastion, nope, I'm not talking about "liberal" either. It has unanimity of leftist thought by left-wing professors and administrators. It's also full of left wing homosexual activists.

Archie Bunker, is that you?

Good grief.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:19 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Archie Bunker, is that you?

Good grief.
Sadly Archie Bunker is dated to younger generations, and Carroll O'Connor is gone... Even more sadly, an updated REAL LIFE Archie Bunker is a certain major national politician, who will remain nameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa