Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 04:34 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times

Advertisements

Watch as the video maker, and his girlfriend join 20,000 others as they ride across Iowa, a yearly event. And meet those welcoming folks who live there as the huge group stops at smallish towns along the way. I loved this series. Sounds like so much fun. Here are all four of the videos. Enjoy a side of Iowa that many didn't know existed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdexkSKD18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjIkh7-D92w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtbWlu5Agyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki_ck9Um6I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 04:41 AM

77 posts, read 135,201 times
Brings back a lot of memories. I rode RAGBRAIs XII thru XV. Can't believe next year is going to be RABRAI L!

Old 09-20-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
Brings back a lot of memories. I rode RAGBRAIs XII thru XV. Can't believe next year is going to be RABRAI L!
I bet they were a blast. I love all the positive energy out there from everyone involved. I enjoyed these videos so much I had to watch them a second time yesterday, getting my bicycling kicks vicariously lol.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:43 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
RAGBRAI is likely one of the best-known non-racing multi-day bicycle tour events in the USA. Iowa was one of the first states to come up with the idea that such a cross-state cycling event from town to town could be a way to bring visitors (Iowans and non-Iowans) to "off the beaten track" towns. It turned into a good way to promote the state too.

It works good in Iowa because the rural population is spread throughout most parts of the state. That means that the route does not have long stretches of desolation or unpopulated regions, which would be the case if such an event were held in many western states. That means almost every town along the route can become a rest stop, and overnight stops can be hosted at those locations that happen to work best for the one week long event. It just so happens that Iowa is just about the right distance from east to west to plan a one week bicycle tour, regardless if the tour crosses the northern or southern part of the state.

Next years 50th anniversary will likely be a big RAGBRAI event!

Old 09-21-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
RAGBRAI is likely one of the best-known non-racing multi-day bicycle tour events in the USA. Iowa was one of the first states to come up with the idea that such a cross-state cycling event from town to town could be a way to bring visitors (Iowans and non-Iowans) to "off the beaten track" towns. It turned into a good way to promote the state too.

It works good in Iowa because the rural population is spread throughout most parts of the state. That means that the route does not have long stretches of desolation or unpopulated regions, which would be the case if such an event were held in many western states. That means almost every town along the route can become a rest stop, and overnight stops can be hosted at those locations that happen to work best for the one week long event. It just so happens that Iowa is just about the right distance from east to west to plan a one week bicycle tour, regardless if the tour crosses the northern or southern part of the state.

Next years 50th anniversary will likely be a big RAGBRAI event!

Yes, I also like the idea that the route changes from year to year so that new small towns can take a turn to be highlighted while the others who worked hard before can take a break. It's a very positive event, and seems to bring out the best in people. Iowa is beautiful, not fly over country at all.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:17 PM

46 posts, read 35,292 times
I moved back to Iowa 5 years ago, and I live in a community that served as an overnight stop for this year's event. As it turned out, the route the cyclists took involved riding right down the street I live on-the street was reduced to one lane of traffic for the afternoon. I took the day off from my job so I could watch-and I really enjoyed it. There were people from all different walks of life that rode by, quite a few different bikes they rode, etc. (One young woman was on a bike that didn't even have a seat-she had to stand up to ride it. That had to be challenging to ride for 40-50 miles at a time.) A lot of the cyclists waved to us as they rode by, there was one group who stopped and chatted with some of the spectators, etc. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Fan View Post
I moved back to Iowa 5 years ago, and I live in a community that served as an overnight stop for this year's event. As it turned out, the route the cyclists took involved riding right down the street I live on-the street was reduced to one lane of traffic for the afternoon. I took the day off from my job so I could watch-and I really enjoyed it. There were people from all different walks of life that rode by, quite a few different bikes they rode, etc. (One young woman was on a bike that didn't even have a seat-she had to stand up to ride it. That had to be challenging to ride for 40-50 miles at a time.) A lot of the cyclists waved to us as they rode by, there was one group who stopped and chatted with some of the spectators, etc. It was a lot of fun to watch.
It must have been quite a day, or two. I think it really puts Iowa in a very favorable light. I especially liked the Driftless area towards the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa