Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
Corporate businesses are a result of capitalism, and that is what makes America the great place to live that it is. Unfortunately liberals want small businesses to STAY small businesses and fail to succeed. There are A LOT of people who drive SUV's and trucks in Iowa - and shouldn't need to feel guilty about it. The global warming scare is a result of liberal media - there are plenty of silenced qualified scientists who prove it wrong wrong wrong.

Maybe Iowa isn't the place for you - because unless you live in a larger city, you're going to need an SUV or truck here - we have harsh winters, floods, and tornadoes - AKA the kind of weather that a PRIUS will never be able to withstand.
Sorry to hear you're so unread. I'm hoping the rest of the state isn't the same. I won't even elaborate or address your ignorance. I will say this...newsflash: there are vehicles made that don't guzzle gas and can handle the conditions you speak of...ex: Ford Escape Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Subaru Forester.

By the way, perhaps you and your party should pull your head out of the sand, things in this country aren't so hot right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
[SIZE=3]As I try to think of similar sized cities to Cedar Falls and Council Bluffs, I can’t help but notice that most of the more progressive, growing, and liberal minded cities are usually attached somehow to a larger city (located in close proximity to or a suburb of). The independent cities (cities not attached to a larger city) are largely staunchly conservative places that have struggled to transform their economies away from primarily agriculture, i.e. Ft. Dodge, Ottumwa, Burlington, Mason City, Marshalltown.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think Cedar Falls would be a god fit for you. And as already mentioned, Dubuque is definitely worth checking out. I personally wouldn’t think Council Bluffs to be what your after – it has traditionally been the “blue collar” suburb of Omaha.[/SIZE]

Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry to hear you're so unread. I'm hoping the rest of the state isn't the same. I won't even elaborate or address your ignorance. I will say this...newsflash: there are vehicles made that don't guzzle gas and can handle the conditions you speak of...ex: Ford Escape Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Subaru Forester.

By the way, perhaps you and your party should pull your head out of the sand, things in this country aren't so hot right now...
Just because I don't have the same views doesn't mean I'm unread or ignorant.

And people in Iowa generally are the same. We are 98% white and many of us have ancestors who farmed here or still farm here. Enjoy! Hope we're sophisticated enough for you!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Kyle,
Don't be one of them tree-hugging, prius driving, snootie douche bags. Its getting old.

I think the hot air leeking out of your ears is contributing to global warming more than trucks and suv's.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Kyle,
Don't be one of them tree-hugging, prius driving, snootie douche bags. Its getting old.

I think the hot air leeking out of your ears is contributing to global warming more than trucks and suv's.
I'm not a tree-hugger or snootie. I do not have a car currently, living in a large city, it's a liability. If I did, it wouldn't be a Prius...too expensive for someone on my salary...more like a used Tercel or Civic. Not sure if snootie douche bag refers to being aware of current events, if thats' the case in your little mind, I wear it proudly. I like trees, but not over the top in love with them...wouldn't stand in front of a bulldozer to save one for whatever thats worth.

Actually what's getting tiresome is listening to, or having to read about you air-bag conservatives who constantly rant about the liberal press....which is pretty laughable. Go stand under a glacier cliff in the Arctic..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It always strikes me as odd when "conservatives" like to argue with "liberals" who are into conservation, energy efficiency, the environment, buying locally grown food, etc. Many conservatives have lost the root meaning in the word "conserve." We as a nation can continue to grow the economy, and become more energy efficient as well as energy independent. Investing in green collar jobs is one of the arenas that promises good job growth here in the US in the 21st century as we become global leaders in finding ways to reduce carbon emissions as well as pollution.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
Default Pacific Junction

Looking for Dustin Felos, graduated in 1988 I believe. He has an internet business....dts outdoor world. Thanks for any leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa