Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

that's so true. i live in downtown dubuque, and have lived here intentionally for going on 10 years. in a rental apartment. my landlord is a responsible guy, works hard to keep the place nice, as do i. we have a neighborhood committee that meets, as elected parties, and we do things together throughout the year. we sponsor a cleanup in june, with free mulch, dirt and compost. i pick trash up daily from people that drive past my house and pitch it in the bushes rather than do the responsible thing and throw it away.

there is NO ghetto in dubuque. i lived in south central Los Angeles for 13 years. i laugh when people call anywhere in dbq 'the hood.' i guess they figure if there's more than 3 or 5 minority faces on the street, it's automatically a 'ghetto.' some of the landlords here are at fault. they just want their money, and don't care about the property.

i say move here! we'd love to have you! i'll be happy to privately message you my name and number if you'd like to talk more, just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 41,934 times
I will be relocating to Dubuque in the near future and woould like to rent a house that would allow me to keep my dog that I have had for 5 years. looking for something under $750.00 a month. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
People who refer to areas like Dubuque's Iowa Street as a "ghetto" typically lead very sheltered lives, and don't have a strong sense of what real poverty-stricken, crime-infested neighborhoods are like. Dubuque DOES NOT HAVE A GHETTO... on Iowa Street or anywhere else, for that matter. period. lol.

Iowa Street has no vacant/abandoned houses or cars, gangs, street people, or anything of that sort. As with any densely-populated neighborhood with rental properties, there is some crime in the area (of course), but even this tends to be sporadic and low-level (mostly domestic) issues. Keep in mind... the ENTIRE city generally has 1 or fewer murders per year!!

As I see it..., people who throw around terms like "ghetto" in reference to the Iowa Street area, either:
1.) have only been through the neighborhood (usually by car) on rare occasions, and have little in-depth knowledge about it, or
2.) heard a story once-upon-a-time from a friend of a friend who had a bad experience there, or
3.) jump to silly, ridiculous conclusioins like: older houses + density = ghetto

I think the person you talked with was exaggerating a bit. As a 20+ year resident of Dubuque, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

I agree with above. Dubuque does not have a ghetto. I don't think that they plan on building one either.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree with above. Dubuque does not have a ghetto. I don't think that they plan on building one either.

No city plans to have a ghetto but it happens. And YES Dubuque does have a developing ghetto.

Mark

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatten162 View Post
I will be relocating to Dubuque in the near future and woould like to rent a house that would allow me to keep my dog that I have had for 5 years. looking for something under $750.00 a month. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
This might help
AD - Apartments

We just moved to the area, though we chose to live across the river in Platteville. Finding something with allowing a pet doesn't seem too hard to do though.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Default I lived there

We lived in the gray, Victorian apartment house on Iowa Street right across from Jackson Park. Parking isn't the greatest, but we loved the place. Huge apartment. Lots of room. We were on the second floor and since that is where the parades would line up, you could watch the parades from the apartment. The neighbors were nice. At least when we lived there.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 30,455 times
Dbqer at least be straight with the person. Iowa St. in that area is a bit rough. 2 blocks away there was a murder right in the street in front of people. I believe Emmet would be a better area. You have to watch who you believe here as the people in power here do not allow any bad things to be said about Dubuque. This city is like any other city, good points and bad points. I myself love this town, but have been here for ever. I wouldn`t be worried about moving here. The Dubuque of 2009 is a complete makeover of the Dubuque of 20 years ago. Some better, some not. There is more voilent crime but unless you have lived here for awhile you don`t here about it.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbqr4ever View Post
Dbqer at least be straight with the person. Iowa St. in that area is a bit rough. 2 blocks away there was a murder right in the street in front of people. I believe Emmet would be a better area. You have to watch who you believe here as the people in power here do not allow any bad things to be said about Dubuque. This city is like any other city, good points and bad points. I myself love this town, but have been here for ever. I wouldn`t be worried about moving here. The Dubuque of 2009 is a complete makeover of the Dubuque of 20 years ago. Some better, some not. There is more voilent crime but unless you have lived here for awhile you don`t here about it.
A lot of the downtown area is a bit rough and I wouldn't advise living in that part of town.

Jasper

Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
So how much random violent crime happens in Dubuque? Not to sound callous, but if one low-life drug dealer guns down another one in the street over a drug deal gone sour I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'd consider that to be a case of natural selection---those too stupid to resolve their differences without resorting to violence are doing us all a favor by taking themselves out of the equation. How likely would someone be to walk down Iowa Street on a Sunday afternoon and get shot in the face at random as part of a gang initiation? Obviously I've never been to Dubuque so I may be uninformed, but I can hazard a guess to say that 99.9% of violent crimes committed in Dubuque are probably between people who know each other (and most likely who are both on the wrong side of the law to begin with).

Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
uninformed, but I can hazard a guess to say that 99.9% of violent crimes committed in Dubuque are probably between people who know each other (and most likely who are both on the wrong side of the law to begin with).

Probably. Dubuque is not a high crime city at all and is generally a very safe one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa