Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Did any of you read this story?

Florida pastor oversees Quran burning - USATODAY.com

I am speechless, maybe because the whole thing is so ridiculous, or maybe because I can't stop laughing.

I mean, after they found the poor Quran guilty, they had to decide how to punish it, and they actually considered drowning it or having it face a firing squad.

Since our Supreme Court has decided there is nothing wrong with burning the American flag, I don't see any problem with burning a Quran. How do you all feel about this?

P.S. I just read the story again. It said the 'trial' took six hours! Can you believe the people stayed around that long? It sure is fun being an American, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
The fact that this guy is a Pastor is what makes this terribly ridiculous. This isnt about what the constitution or supreme court says. Its about this stupid guy who is supposedly a "man of god" who does something just so outlandishly ridiculous. What an idiot.

EDIT: I responded just to your question. I clicked on the link after I responded and saw that it was that idiot from last year who did it. Such old news. Hope not all people in that area are not as stupid as the people who are parishiners of his church. He's borderline Jim Jones stupid.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
It's just a book, same as the bible, there just books. If a person puts their faith in a book rather than within themselves then there will be problems. These books are mass produced by the thousands, I'm sure God didn't write everyone of them. I'm sure there will be those that will put out a death warrent on this pastor, demand his head on a stick, for burning their holy book, then they will go back to doing what is important, blowing up other people.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
It's just a book, same as the bible, there just books. If a person puts their faith in a book rather than within themselves then there will be problems. These books are mass produced by the thousands, I'm sure God didn't write everyone of them. I'm sure there will be those that will put out a death warrent on this pastor, demand his head on a stick, for burning their holy book, then they will go back to doing what is important, blowing up other people.
It is just a book, but you are totally missing the point on this. If it were you, or me, just plain dudes who did this, no big deal. But here is a guy who calls himself a man of god, a theologist, a PASTOR, THIS is what makes this such a horrible thing. Do you NOT get that?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
It is just a book, but you are totally missing the point on this. If it were you, or me, just plain dudes who did this, no big deal. But here is a guy who calls himself a man of god, a theologist, a PASTOR, THIS is what makes this such a horrible thing. Do you NOT get that?
Just because they SAY they are of some God, it means nothing. Hypocrisy is rampant in religion. I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
This is sad. If someone wanted to burn the bible it probably would have gone to court via the Christian churches many lawyers. If we only had more religious tolerance, this world would be a better place.

What is so wrong with simply loving one another and respecting their religious beliefs and other lifestyle choices. We all want peace, but most want it through their own ways.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Ah yes, USA Today, that paragon of journalistic virtue.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
A Koolaide flavor trial?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

563 posts, read 929,890 times
Do you think they are going to become the Westboro Baptist 2.0 ?

A book is just a book. The papers burn, not the ideas.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I burned one of my bibles....Is that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam