Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM

762 posts, read 1,217,310 times

Advertisements

I've read that Mohammed pbuh was 40 years old when the Quran was revealed to him. That is quite old for those times I think. Arabia at that time was mainly Pagan as they had not yet accepted the word of God. So who did Mohammed worship? I read that the name Allah was considered a moon God at that time and he had three daughters ...goddesses attributed to him Uzza, Manat an al Lat.

If this is historically correct does this mean that Mohammed was guilty of polytheism at some point in his life? If so how did he atone for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I've read that Mohammed pbuh was 40 years old when the Quran was revealed to him. That is quite old for those times I think. Arabia at that time was mainly Pagan as they had not yet accepted the word of God. So who did Mohammed worship? I read that the name Allah was considered a moon God at that time and he had three daughters ...goddesses attributed to him Uzza, Manat an al Lat.

If this is historically correct does this mean that Mohammed was guilty of polytheism at some point in his life? If so how did he atone for it.
His Family was monotheistic. We do know that they worshiped the same God(swt) that the Jews and Christians in Madinah Worshiped. We also know that at least one of Muhammad(PBUH) Uncles by Marriage was a Christian Monk and that the Christians in the region called God Allah(swt)

All we can say for certain was that He and His Family worshiped the God of Abraham. Which in Arabic is Allah(swt)

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,310 times
I have heard of the Christian monk the Uncle of one of Mohammed's wives, Kadijah I think. If they worshipped the one God, Yaweh or Elohim as the God of Abraham was known. Would that make them either following Old Testament, Jewish or New Testament Christian? It is known that Mohammed came into contact with both. Although mostly The Arabian Penisula at that time was Pagan I believe.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
I have heard of the Christian monk the Uncle of one of Mohammed's wives, Kadijah I think. If they worshipped the one God, Yaweh or Elohim as the God of Abraham was known. Would that make them either following Old Testament, Jewish or New Testament Christian? It is known that Mohammed came into contact with both. Although mostly The Arabian Penisula at that time was Pagan I believe.
Most of Arabia was Pagan. But The Quyesh tribe, Muhammad (PBUH)'s tribe, in Madinah was monotheistic the Hebrew word Elohim is Allah(swt) in Arabic. They are spelled with the same letters when Arabic is written with Hebrew Characters.. Hebrew and Arabic are closely related languages and share some words Allah/Elohim is one of them In Aramaic ( another related language ) it is Eli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam