Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times

Advertisements

29:45. Recite [in prayer] that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship [prayer]. Lo! Worship [prayer] preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do.
Most of the interpreters used 'and' instead of 'but,' which give the impression 'worship' and 'remembrance' are exactly the same.

Note 20:14
20:14. Lo! I, even I, am Allah. There is no God save Me. serve Me and establish worship for My remembrance.
Note 2:200
2:200. And when ye [Muslims] have completed your devotions, then remember Allah as ye remember your fathers or with a more lively remembrance. But of mankind is he [the infidel] who saith: "our Lord! Give unto us in the world," and he [the infidel] hath no portion in the Hereafter.
In this case, remembrance is compared with remembrance of fathers. Surely in this case it does not mean worshipping and 'praying' to one's fathers.

I think there is a fine difference between 'worship' and 'remembrance'.

How do Muslims differentiate 'remembrance' from 'worship'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:05 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
29:45. Recite [in prayer] that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship [prayer]. Lo! Worship [prayer] preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do.
Most of the interpreters used 'and' instead of 'but,' which give the impression 'worship' and 'remembrance' are exactly the same.

Note 20:14
20:14. Lo! I, even I, am Allah. There is no God save Me. serve Me and establish worship for My remembrance.
Note 2:200
2:200. And when ye [Muslims] have completed your devotions, then remember Allah as ye remember your fathers or with a more lively remembrance. But of mankind is he [the infidel] who saith: "our Lord! Give unto us in the world," and he [the infidel] hath no portion in the Hereafter.
In this case, remembrance is compared with remembrance of fathers. Surely in this case it does not mean worshipping and 'praying' to one's fathers.

I think there is a fine difference between 'worship' and 'remembrance'.

How do Muslims differentiate 'remembrance' from 'worship'?
I think the Islamic concept of worship differs from the western world concept. To us all our actions, Words, thoughts and intentions are worship. Remembrance is a very important act of worship. Even more important than prayer.

We strive to be mindful that our 'Worship" is a true reflection of our love for Allaah(swt) Prayer is simply a reminder that all we do is known to Allaah(swt) and should guide us to all things in a manner that dignifies and praises Allaah(swt)

Old 10-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think the Islamic concept of worship differs from the western world concept. To us all our actions, Words, thoughts and intentions are worship. Remembrance is a very important act of worship. Even more important than prayer.

We strive to be mindful that our 'Worship" is a true reflection of our love for Allaah(swt) Prayer is simply a reminder that all we do is known to Allaah(swt) and should guide us to all things in a manner that dignifies and praises Allaah(swt)
I should have noted what is being said.

Al-'Ankabut (The Spider) - 29:45
اتْلُ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ إِنَّ الصَّلَاةَ تَنْهَى عَنِ الْفَحْشَاء وَالْمُنكَرِ وَلَذِكْرُ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا تَصْنَعُونَ (29:45)

Otlu ma oohiya ilayka mina alkitabi waaqimi alssalata inna alssalata tanha AAani alfahshai waalmunkari walathikru Allahi akbaru waAllahu yaAAlamu ma tasnaAAoona

CONVEY [unto others] whatever of this divine writ has been revealed unto thee, [40] and be constant in prayer: for, behold, prayer restrains [man] from loathsome deeds and from all that runs counter to reason; [41] and remembrance of God is indeed the greatest [good]. And God knows all that you do. - 29:45 (Asad)

Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt. And Allah knows the (deeds) that ye do. - 29:45 (Y. Ali)

Recite that which hath been inspired in thee of the Scripture, and establish worship. Lo! worship preserveth from lewdness and iniquity, but verily remembrance of Allah is more important. And Allah knoweth what ye do. - 29:45 (Picktall)

The word which Pickthal is translating as worship is Salat. The Arabic word for worship is aibada

Salat is a formal, mandatory prayer we say 5 Salat daily

In the other ayyats
Ta-Ha - 20:14
إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي (20:14)

Innanee ana Allahu la ilaha illa ana faoAAbudnee waaqimi alssalata lithikree

"Verily, I - I alone - am God; there is no deity save Me. Hence, worship Me alone, and be constant in prayer, so as to remember Me! [10] - 20:14 (Asad)

"Verily, I am Allah. There is no god but I: So serve thou Me (only), and establish regular prayer for celebrating My praise. - 20:14 (Y. Ali)

Lo! I, even I, am Allah. There is no God save Me. So serve Me and establish worship for My remembrance. - 20:14 (Picktall)
The word in question is لِذِكْرِي
Which does mean in rememberance. The phrase used is lithikree But again Salat (prayer) is used not aibada (worship)

Al-Baqara (The Cow) - 2:200
فَإِذَا قَضَيْتُم مَّنَاسِكَكُمْ فَاذْكُرُواْ اللّهَ كَذِكْرِكُمْ آبَاءكُمْ أَوْ أَشَدَّ ذِكْرًا فَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَقُولُ رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا وَمَا لَهُ فِي الآخِرَةِ مِنْ خَلاَقٍ (2:200)

Faitha qadaytum manasikakum faothkuroo Allaha kathikrikum abaakum aw ashadda thikran famina alnnasi man yaqoolu rabbana atina fee alddunya wama lahu fee alakhirati min khalaqin

And when you have performed your acts of worship, [continue to] bear God in mind as you would bear your own fathers in mind-nay, with a yet keener remembrance! [185] For there are people who [merely] pray, "O our Sustainer! Give us in this world" -and such shall not partake in the blessings of the life to come. - 2:200 (Asad)

So when ye have accomplished your holy rites, celebrate the praises of Allah, as ye used to celebrate the praises of your fathers,- yea, with far more Heart and soul. There are men who say: "Our Lord! Give us (Thy bounties) in this world!" but they will have no portion in the Hereafter. - 2:200 (Y. Ali)

And when ye have completed your devotions, then remember Allah as ye remember your fathers or with a more lively remembrance. But of mankind is he who saith: "Our Lord! Give unto us in the world," and he hath no portion in the Hereafter. - 2:200 (Picktall)

Again aibada (worship) is not used

Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The word which Pickthal is translating as worship is Salat. The Arabic word for worship is aibada
Salat is a formal, mandatory prayer we say 5 Salat daily
Note the OP I have insert [prayer] along with Pickthall's 'worship'.

In any case I think prayers [salat] are a part of 'worshipping' which is a part of 'remembrance.'
The Quran is also asserted as a 'reminder' therefore remembering the Quran is also remembrance.

My point is I want to be as precise as possible in my critique of the subject.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Note the OP I have insert [prayer] along with Pickthall's 'worship'.

In any case I think prayers [salat] are a part of 'worshipping' which is a part of 'remembrance.'
The Quran is also asserted as a 'reminder' therefore remembering the Quran is also remembrance.

My point is I want to be as precise as possible in my critique of the subject.
Yes the Qur'an is a remembrance and the meaning of Qur'an is:

he meaning is "Continous Recitation" and not only "recitation". Qira means = Recitation Quran means = Continous recitation. Mad on top of Alif makes a meaning of umbrella or sky or continuous. The later is more correct.
Adding Al in the beginning of Quran, changes the meaning in classical Arabic, it becomes "The book which is to be recited continuously" OR "the book which is to be recited" however classical Arabic explains Quran "continuous recitation".

quran - What is the literal meaning of the word "Qur'an"? - Islam Stack Exchange

A meaning of rememberance is justified as in order to recite continuously one would have to memorize it.

While memorizing the Qur'an is Sunnah it is not fiqh, meaning there is no sin or punishment if a person does not memorize it, but there are rewards and blessings if they do. Up until recent times the majority of Muslims were Hafiz, meaning they had memorized the Qur'an with proper pronunciation of every letter. In today's world less than 10% of Muslims are Hafiz.

Worship is a bit complex. To a Muslims all thoughts, actions, words and intentions are acts of worship. they reflect our true belief and submission more than any prayer or ritual.

Quote:
The concept of worship in Islam is misunderstood by many people including some Muslims. Worship is commonly taken to mean performing ritualistic acts such as prayers, fasting, charity, etc. This limited understanding of worship is only one part of the meaning of worship in Islam. That is why the traditional definition of worship in Islam is a comprehensive definition that includes almost everything in any individual's activities. The definition goes something like this:

"Worship is an all inclusive term for all that God loves of external and internal sayings and actions of a person."

In other words, worship is everything one says or does for the pleasure of Allah. This, of course, includes rituals as well as beliefs, social activities, and personal contributions to the welfare of one's fellow human-beings. Islam looks at the individual as a whole. He is required to submit himself completely to Allah, as the Quran instructed the Prophet Muhammad to do:

"Say (O Muhammad) my prayer, my sacrifice, my life and my death belong to Allah; He has no partner and I am ordered to be among those who submit, i.e.; Muslims." (6:162, 163)

Concept of Worship

Old 10-07-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Yes the Qur'an is a remembrance and the meaning of Qur'an is:

he meaning is "Continous Recitation" and not only "recitation". Qira means = Recitation Quran means = Continous recitation. Mad on top of Alif makes a meaning of umbrella or sky or continuous. The later is more correct.
Adding Al in the beginning of Quran, changes the meaning in classical Arabic, it becomes "The book which is to be recited continuously" OR "the book which is to be recited" however classical Arabic explains Quran "continuous recitation".

quran - What is the literal meaning of the word "Qur'an"? - Islam Stack Exchange

A meaning of rememberance is justified as in order to recite continuously one would have to memorize it.

While memorizing the Qur'an is Sunnah it is not fiqh, meaning there is no sin or punishment if a person does not memorize it, but there are rewards and blessings if they do. Up until recent times the majority of Muslims were Hafiz, meaning they had memorized the Qur'an with proper pronunciation of every letter. In today's world less than 10% of Muslims are Hafiz.

Worship is a bit complex. To a Muslims all thoughts, actions, words and intentions are acts of worship. they reflect our true belief and submission more than any prayer or ritual.
If the Quran is a reminder thus it is a 'remembrance.'
It is not just memory and recitations that are important.
Obvious what is most critical are the contents, i.e. the 6,236 verses of the Quran.
Since remembrance is more important than 'worship' and 'prayers' [salat],
therefore compliance to the contents, the 6,236 verses of the Quran is most important.

Note my proposals on using the 6,236 verses as a checklist for compliance to assess one degree of being a Muslim. Verses re degrees or ranking for judgment on Judgment Day. [mine]
6:132. For all [of mankind] there will be ranks [degrees] from what they did Thy Lord is not unaware of what they do.

8:4. Those [Muslims] are they who are in truth believers. For them [true Muslims] are grades [degrees] (of honour) with their Lord, and pardon, and a bountiful provision.
NOTE: There are many other verses supporting the above concept.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
If the Quran is a reminder thus it is a 'remembrance.'
It is not just memory and recitations that are important.
Obvious what is most critical are the contents, i.e. the 6,236 verses of the Quran.
Since remembrance is more important than 'worship' and 'prayers' [salat],
therefore compliance to the contents, the 6,236 verses of the Quran is most important.

Note my proposals on using the 6,236 verses as a checklist for compliance to assess one degree of being a Muslim. Verses re degrees or ranking for judgment on Judgment Day. [mine]
6:132. For all [of mankind] there will be ranks [degrees] from what they did Thy Lord is not unaware of what they do.

8:4. Those [Muslims] are they who are in truth believers. For them [true Muslims] are grades [degrees] (of honour) with their Lord, and pardon, and a bountiful provision.
NOTE: There are many other verses supporting the above concept.
The problem is very few ayyats are commands. Also as I noted memorizing the Qur'an is not fiqh (required) in fact there is no requirement to read the Qur'an. But in the Qur'an there is a requirement to obey the teachings of Muhammad(saws) which are laid out in the Madhabs.

6:132 is speking about degrees of quilt/responsibility

Quote:
Al-An'am (The Cattle) - 6:130

[And thus will God continue:] "O you who have lived in close communion with [evil] invisible beings and [like-minded] humans! Have there not come unto you apostles from among yourselves, who conveyed unto you My messages and warned you of the coming of this your Day [of Judgment]?" They will answer: "We do bear witness against ourselves!"-for the life of this world had beguiled them: and so they will bear witness against themselves that they had been denying the truth. - 6:130 (Asad)

"O ye assembly of Jinns and men! came there not unto you apostles from amongst you, setting forth unto you My signs, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?" They will say: "We bear witness against ourselves." It was the life of this world that deceived them. So against themselves will they bear witness that they rejected Faith. - 6:130 (Y. Ali)

O ye assembly of the jinn and humankind! Came there not unto you messengers of your own who recounted unto you My tokens and warned you of the meeting of this your Day? They will say: We testify against ourselves. And the life of the world beguiled them. And they testify against themselves that they were disbelievers. - 6:130 (Picktall)

And so it is that thy Sustainer would never destroy a community [116] for its wrongdoing so long as its people are still unaware [of the meaning of right and wrong]: - 6:131 (Asad)

(The apostles were sent) thus, for thy Lord would not destroy for their wrong-doing men's habitations whilst their occupants were unwarned. - 6:131 (Y. Ali)

This is because thy Lord destroyeth not the townships arbitrarily while their people are unconscious (of the wrong they do). - 6:131 (Picktall)

for all shall be judged according to their [conscious] deeds [117] - and thy Sustainer is not unaware of what they do. - 6:132 (Asad)

To all are degrees (or ranks) according to their deeds: for thy Lord is not unmindful of anything that they do. - 6:132 (Y. Ali)

For all there will be ranks from what they did. Thy Lord is not unaware of what they do. - 6:132 (Picktall)
(Picktall)

And thy Sustainer alone is self-sufficient, limitless in His grace. If He so wills, He may put an end to you and thereafter cause whom He wills to succeed you - even as He has brought you into being out of other people's seed. - 6:133 (Asad)

Thy Lord is self-sufficient, full of Mercy: if it were His will, He could destroy you, and in your place appoint whom He will as your successors, even as He raised you up from the posterity of other people. - 6:133 (Y. Ali)

Thy Lord is the Absolute, the Lord of Mercy. If He will, He can remove you and can cause what He will to follow after you, even as He raised you from the seed of other folk. - 6:133 (Picktall)

Verily, that [reckoning] which you are promised is bound to come, and you cannot elude it! - 6:134 (Asad)

All that hath been promised unto you will come to pass: nor can ye frustrate it (in the least bit). - 6:134 (Y. Ali)

Lo! that which ye are promised will surely come to pass, and ye cannot escape. - 6:134 (Picktall)

8:4 Needs to be read as a full paragraph which includes 1-6 to understand how surah 8 defines a true believer

Quote:
Al-Anfal (The Spoils of War) - 8:1

HEY WILL ASK thee about the spoils of war. Say: "All spoils of war belong to God and the Apostle." [1] Remain, then, conscious of God, and keep alive the bonds of brotherhood among yourselves, [2] and pay heed unto God and His Apostle, if you are [truly] believers! - 8:1 (Asad)

They ask thee concerning (things taken as) spoils of war. Say: "(such) spoils are at the disposal of Allah and the Messenger. So fear Allah, and keep straight the relations between yourselves: Obey Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe." - 8:1 (Y. Ali)

They ask thee (O Muhammad) of the spoils of war. Say: The spoils of war belong to Allah and the messenger, so keep your duty to Allah, and adjust the matter of your difference, and obey Allah and His messenger, if ye are (true) believers. - 8:1 (Picktall)

Believers are only they whose hearts tremble with awe whenever God is mentioned, and whose faith is strengthened whenever His messages are conveyed unto them, [3] and who in their Sustainer place their trust - - 8:2 (Asad)

For, Believers are those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a tremor in their hearts, and when they hear His signs rehearsed, find their faith strengthened, and put (all) their trust in their Lord; - 8:2 (Y. Ali)

They only are the (true) believers whose hearts feel fear when Allah is mentioned, and when the revelations of Allah are recited unto them they increase their faith, and who trust in their Lord; - 8:2 (Picktall)

those who are constant in prayer and spend on others out of what We provide for them as sustenance : [4] - 8:3 (Asad)

Who establish regular prayers and spend (freely) out of the gifts We have given them for sustenance: - 8:3 (Y. Ali)

Who establish worship and spend of that We have bestowed on them. - 8:3 (Picktall)

it is they, they who are truly believers! Theirs shall be great dignity in their Sustainer's sight, and forgiveness of sins, and a most excellent sustenance. [5] - 8:4 (Asad)

Such in truth are the believers: they have grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness, and generous sustenance: - 8:4 (Y. Ali)

Those are they who are in truth believers. For them are grades (of honor) with their Lord, and pardon, and a bountiful provision. - 8:4 (Picktall)

EVEN AS thy Sustainer brought thee forth from thy home [to fight] in the cause of the truth, although some of the believers were averse to it, - 8:5 (Asad)

Just as thy Lord ordered thee out of thy house in truth, even though a party among the Believers disliked it, - 8:5 (Y. Ali)

Even as thy Lord caused thee (Muhammad) to go forth from thy home with the Truth, and lo! a party of the believers were averse (to it), - 8:5 (Picktall)

[so, too,] they would argue with thee about the truth [itself] after it had become manifest [6] - just as if they were being driven towards death and beheld it with their very eyes. - 8:6 (Asad)

Disputing with thee concerning the truth after it was made manifest, as if they were being driven to death and they (actually) saw it. - 8:6 (Y. Ali)

Disputing with thee of the Truth after it had been made manifest, as if they were being driven to death visible. - 8:6 (Picktall)

Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The problem is very few ayyats are commands.
I have spent a lot of time to understand there are a lot of commands [of various seriousness] in the Quran.
What do you mean by 'few'? less than 10, 50 or 100?
At present it your word against mine but I intend to review the 6,236 verses later and count them to get the real answers.

Quote:
Also as I noted memorizing the Qur'an is not fiqh (required) in fact there is no
requirement to read the Qur'an. But in the Qur'an there is a requirement to obey
the teachings of Muhammad(saws) which are laid out in the Madhabs.
To 'obey Muhammad' does not mean absolute obedience but rather it must be in line with what is in the Quran, i.e. God's word to ensure it is not Muhammad's own thinking and personal interests.
There is nothing in the Quran that mention a Muslim must obey what is laid out in the 'Madhabs'. In fact there are verses that condemned elements that are external to the Quran.
I have raised objections and caution to this earlier and this need to be debated in detail.

I pick 6:132 and 8:4 as a sample amongst many other verses to represent degrees of performance by infidels [evil deeds] or Muslim [good deeds].

Quote:
6:132 is speaking about degrees of guilt/responsibility
My point is the Quran speak about degrees of performances. In this case, it refers to the degrees of ill-deeds by infidels. They are punished in accordance to the degree of their evil deeds.

Quote:
8:4 Needs to be read as a full paragraph which includes 1-6 to understand how surah 8 defines a true believer
My point was above 'degrees.'
Do you agree there are degrees of performance by a Muslim and s/he will be rewarded by in terms of degrees of performance.
A Muslim who has a higher degree of performance [say 80%] will be rewarded greater than one who has a lower degree of performance [20%]. Of course a truer Muslims will have a higher degree of performance than a laggard Muslim.

Do you agree with the above?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 PM

There are many verses in the Quran where Muslims are exhorted to compete [to the best of one's capability] with one another to be the best, i.e. 1st class Muslim.
35:32. Then We gave the Scripture as inheritance unto those [Muslims] whom We elected of our bondmen. But of them are some [sinners] who wrong themselves and of them are some [moderates] who are lukewarm and of them are some [1st class Muslims] who outstrip (others) through good deeds, by Allah's leave. That is the great favour!

Those 1st class truer Muslims will be given much better rewards than the moderate Muslims.

The point is the only terms and conditions a Muslim can rely upon to compete with one another is from the 6,236 verses of the Quran and no where else.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
There are many verses in the Quran where Muslims are exhorted to compete [to the best of one's capability] with one another to be the best, i.e. 1st class Muslim.
35:32. Then We gave the Scripture as inheritance unto those [Muslims] whom We elected of our bondmen. But of them are some [sinners] who wrong themselves and of them are some [moderates] who are lukewarm and of them are some [1st class Muslims] who outstrip (others) through good deeds, by Allah's leave. That is the great favour!

Those 1st class truer Muslims will be given much better rewards than the moderate Muslims.

The point is the only terms and conditions a Muslim can rely upon to compete with one another is from the 6,236 verses of the Quran and no where else.
It is true there are different levels of heaven and each person will be rewarded for the good the do.

I do not equate that to competition. I am very pleased to see a person receive all the rewards and pleasures they receive. a Muslim is to be happy to see another person receive more than what they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam