Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When will people realize that condoning actions such as calling others out in public for wearing things they don't like is indicative of a larger problem?
Agreed. The behavior of the other patrons was shameful. I would like to think that some of the patrons were simply in shock, and so did not speak up. Poor women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
What would happen if I draped myself in the Israeli flag and walked down the street in Dearborn, or San Francisco for that matter?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
how can non-humans know what it feels like to be dehumanized?

was trying to figure out how to say something like this.

would anyone tell a non-human to go back to Saudi Arabia?
no, of course not.
so how the heck is this 'dehumanizing'?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I didn't say it was their right to discriminate. What I said is that I am surprised they are so surprised.

The news headlines don't stop at the US borders. Every single day we're "treated" to some form of terror by the same group. Sometimes, it's several times a day.
Maybe they aren't surprised.

Maybe they are sick and tired of being judged by ignorant people. Maybe they just want to live their lives quietly and peacefully like the rest of us. Maybe they just want to go outside without being targeted and criticized because of the words and acts of others.

I, personally, applaud their decision to go public. We need more people to stand up against this dangerous and toxic environment we are creating.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I find this kind of thing reprehensible. People show their ignorance when they tell fellow Americans to go back to where they came from.

These women are American. How they dress is up to them. Shame on anyone taking the current sad state of affairs in our world out on them. They've done nothing to deserve it.

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
What would happen if I draped myself in the Israeli flag and walked down the street in Dearborn, or San Francisco for that matter?
I don't know. Try it. You might be surprised.

That said, something that is unethical and wrong doesn't suddenly become ethical and right when someone else does it. Does it become OK for you to murder someone just because there are murderers in this world? OK to rob your neighbor's house because someone else robbed you? No. The same goes for treating our fellow humans with dignity and respect - either you do, or you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe they aren't surprised.

Maybe they are sick and tired of being judged by ignorant people. Maybe they just want to live their lives quietly and peacefully like the rest of us. Maybe they just want to go outside without being targeted and criticized because of the words and acts of others.

I, personally, applaud their decision to go public. We need more people to stand up against this dangerous and toxic environment we are creating.
did you read the article I posted? they were completely shocked, and said as much more than once.

right, wrong or indifferent, people are pissed, angry and scared, and lashing out.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I don't know. Try it. You might be surprised.

That said, something that is unethical and wrong doesn't suddenly become ethical and right when someone else does it. Does it become OK for you to murder someone just because there are murderers in this world? OK to rob your neighbor's house because someone else robbed you? No. The same goes for treating our fellow humans with dignity and respect - either you do, or you don't.
yeah I'd love to try it but I don't want every bone in my body broken.

people are asked not to judge all for an action of a few, but do those people give others that right?

think about it.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
did you read the article I posted? they were completely shocked, and said as much more than once.

right, wrong or indifferent, people are pissed, angry and scared, and lashing out.
Its wrong. No question about it.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
"If you see something, say something." ~DHS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam