Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Agreed. The behavior of the other patrons was shameful. I would like to think that some of the patrons were simply in shock, and so did not speak up. Poor women.
That place is typically full of young hipster types.
I'm not surprised no one stood up to defend those women.
They were probably all looking for their cellphones to get their 5 minutes of fame on youtube.

The manager didn't even do anything but try to seat the disruptive person in a different spot.

The restaurant issued a public apology about what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.

It bothers me that people think its just fine to tell people to leave our country because of dislike of one's dress or religion. WTF is wrong with this country?
What's wrong with this country is 9/11. People have become so prejudiced against ALL Muslims they feel it's perfectly OK to bash them, hate them, make fun of them, be cruel to them, dehumanize them, and advocate exile and even violence against them. It's pathetic that they are so angry and afraid of a whole religious group that they actually think having these thoughts and beliefs is OK in a free country which is supposed to allow freedom of religion. I'm not a religious person. I don't believe in any gods, but this country has become a total embarrassment with this situation. And the government exacerbates this by constantly reporting on terror this and terror that. Remember what happened in Germany to the Jewish people in the 1940s? I would not be one bit surprised if that ends up happening here.

And the irony is that it's considered unacceptable to be racist, bigoted or predjudiced against anyone but Muslims. Somehow people who hate Muslims are given a pass. What did these women do? Nothing except wear scarves on their heads. One more thing. I challenge anyone within the view of my keystrokes to prove to me Christianity is better than Islam. (The Bible doesn't counts, especially since it advocates violence). That's right; you can't.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
how can non-humans know what it feels like to be dehumanized?

Lame joke.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Don't follow the religion of a terrorist if you are so touchy. Religion is a choice.
Sina's Challenge

Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What's wrong with this country is 9/11. People have become so prejudiced against ALL Muslims they feel it's perfectly OK to bash them, hate them, make fun of them, be cruel to them, dehumanize them, and advocate exile and even violence against them. It's pathetic that they are so angry and afraid of a whole religious group that they actually think having these thoughts and beliefs is OK in a free country which is supposed to allow freedom of religion. I'm not a religious person. I don't believe in any gods, but this country has become a total embarrassment with this situation. And the government exacerbates this by constantly reporting on terror this and terror that. Remember what happened in Germany to the Jewish people in the 1940s? I would not be one bit surprised if that ends up happening here.

And the irony is that it's considered unacceptable to be racist, bigoted or predjudiced against anyone but Muslims. Somehow people who hate Muslims are given a pass. What did these women do? Nothing except wear scarves on their heads. One more thing. I challenge anyone within the view of my keystrokes to prove to me Christianity is better than Islam. (The Bible doesn't counts, especially since it advocates violence). That's right; you can't.
What's "wrong" with this country is that we were victimized on 9/11 (and a number of times since then) by a group of fanatic terrorists whose point of commonality is that they all claim the religion of Islam. I'm actually not advocating treating those women as they were treated, as I do believe in the "innocent until proven guilty" concept, and that "guilt by association" isn't always right. But the fact remains that there are quite a few Muslims out there who are our enemies, and the people who publicly identify themselves with the religion of our enemies must expect that some people will take issue with them.

"And the irony is that it's considered unacceptable to be racist, bigoted or predjudiced against anyone but Muslims." Try being an evangelical Christian in some of our more "progressive" environs and you'll see that Muslims aren't the only ones who are on the receiving end of that sort of treatment.

"I challenge anyone within the view of my keystrokes to prove to me Christianity is better than Islam." Look at how women, or homosexuals, are treated in predominantly Christian countries. Now look how they are treated in predominantly Muslim countries. Need I say more?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Let's keep things in perspective here. Some loud mouthed jerk said some hurtful things to the women. They expected both the manager and the patrons eating their meals to go to bat for them in response. They didn't get the support they felt was warranted, and left angry.

The manager should have asked the loudmouth to leave. That was the only mistake they made. An inexperienced shift manager who didn't know how best to handle the matter.

The patrons weren't under any obligation to strike up a battle with an unknown person. The women were wrong to expect them to involve themselves, then get angry when they wouldn't.

It's not against the law to be an ahole and say stupid things. These were hurtful words, not a physical attack. There is a difference! The women exchanged words back, and did not appear to be in harm.

The women in question are UT students who happen to be part of a growing anti-Israel movement on campus. They recently participated in a protest during an Israeli professor's speech there, effectively cutting him off and not allowing him to speak. So now they got a little taste of the *other* side of free speech. At the end of the day, this was nothing more than an exchange of hurtful words.

This is a non-issue.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
how can non-humans know what it feels like to be dehumanized?

Some animals are clearly lucky enough to be able to bang some words together on a left-on computer.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post

It's not against the law to be an ahole and say stupid things. These were hurtful words, not a physical attack. There is a difference!
Actually it is. In Texas simple assault is exactly that.

Assault by provocative or offensive contact refers to an act that does not cause physical injury or pain but is upsetting or causes the victim to feel violated. http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...ault-texas.htm

Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
UT student, friend leave Kerbey Lane amid anti-Muslim backlash from other customers - Story | KTBC

I hate to even pause on this one... on the one hand I feel sorry for these 2 women. On the other hand, I can't help but feel surprised that they're so surprised this happened - given the news lately. They're putting themselves out there by wearing those scarves and making a statement. They have a right to do it, but if someone doesn't like it, it makes the news.

Let me go roam Basrah, see what their kind will do to me. I guarantee it will be A LOT worse than just telling me to go back to America.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
UT student, friend leave Kerbey Lane amid anti-Muslim backlash from other customers - Story | KTBC

I hate to even pause on this one... on the one hand I feel sorry for these 2 women. On the other hand, I can't help but feel surprised that they're so surprised this happened - given the news lately. They're putting themselves out there by wearing those scarves and making a statement. They have a right to do it, but if someone doesn't like it, it makes the news.
The "news" is not... it is propaganda designed to brainwash those who listen to and believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam