Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 02:55 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. Thanks for the excellent critique, brother Khalif, it is appreciated.
I live in the UK and whenever I go to London, I look for a mosque and wudu (ablution) facility at prayer time. Having a mosque nearby is most helpful.

There is a mosque just 2 minutes walk from where I live. It has three large floors (prayer halls) and are almost full on Friday.

Brother GoCardinals is correct to criticize so called Islamic countries. They are going backwards and away from Islam. It's all due to corruption which is rampant in all those third world countries.

Judging by the discussions here, Muslims in the West are most likely to stick to Islam in their everyday lives than those in so-called Islamic countries. Whenever I visit my mother and siblings in such a country I can see how much they have gone away from Islam. Even the clerics there know very little about Islam described in the Qur'an. It is really worrying to see them in that state. I even had to have meetings with my own brothers there to tell them what Islam is all about and not the way they are carrying on in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim. As salaamu alaykum. I may have found a new home!

London Closes 500 Churches; Opens 423 New Mosques London Closes 500 Churches; Opens 423 New Mosques

Wassalaam. devotee

Religion, among Anglo-Saxon/Celtic-descended British, has been dying off for a long time in the UK. Prior to the re-energization of Islam among minority communities in the UK, the UK had become one of the most agnostic/atheistic countries in Europe. The rate of "conversion" to Islam among Anglo-Saxon/Celtic- descended British is still quite low.

In general most in the UK are still, especially due to the inherent flaws of religions (especially Abrahamic ones), its sexism, homophobia and other problems - like the holy books of Islam and Christianity mentioning slavery without condemning slavery..... are skeptical. Once people realized the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was a more perfect document of how one should treat one another, and without waving the big stick of punishment from above or promising the rather suspect prize of "everlasting life", many people realized that religions were basically a guess at best, were less perfect than a clearly manmade document, and something that should at least be treated in the context of common sense.

In general, the largely agnostic UK was clearly a better place to live than every Islamic theocracy, and virtually every other Islam-dominated country that wasn't a theocracy. Does Allah prefer the British to his own believers? Or perhaps....

While churches will continue to close, Mosque openings will plateau at some point.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Religion, among Anglo-Saxon/Celtic-descended British, has been dying off for a long time in the UK.
Since when? For how long?

Quote:
Prior to the re-energization of Islam among minority communities in the UK, the UK had become one of the most agnostic/atheistic countries in Europe.
What do you mean by "re-energization of Islam" among minority communities in the UK? Was there a decline of Islam among minority communities in the UK before re-energization?

Quote:
The rate of "conversion" to Islam among Anglo-Saxon/Celtic- descended British is still quite low.
I do not have the correct figures but judging by the number of Islamic community members joining the Christian worshipers in churches compared with Anglo-Saxon/Celtic descended British joining the Muslim worshipers in mosques in Britain, conversion into Islam can only be higher.

Quote:
In general most in the UK are still, especially due to the inherent flaws of religions (especially Abrahamic ones), its sexism, homophobia and other problems - like the holy books of Islam and Christianity mentioning slavery without condemning slavery..... are skeptical.
You are using the same brush for both Christianity and Islam. There is no comparison. Islam clearly requires freeing of slaves and consequence of such requirement is elimination of slavery. There isn't even one verse in the Qur'an that commands us to enslave anyone.

Quote:
Once people realized the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was a more perfect document of how one should treat one another, and without waving the big stick of punishment from above or promising the rather suspect prize of "everlasting life", many people realized that religions were basically a guess at best, were less perfect than a clearly manmade document, and something that should at least be treated in the context of common sense.
Nothing man-made is ever perfect as it does not last for long before it needs repair work.

As for Universal Declaration of Human Rights, it is not a perfect document. It does not cater for every human's rights.

Quote:
In general, the largely agnostic UK was clearly a better place to live than every Islamic theocracy, and virtually every other Islam-dominated country that wasn't a theocracy.
I didn't come to the UK because it was a largely agnostic country. I came here to earn more money. I found the country, in those days, very much a religious country. Church bells used to ring every Sunday all over the place. It is still a Christian country with a church even inside the Houses of Parliament (where all the main laws were made and certainly will be made in future after the Brexit).

Quote:
Does Allah prefer the British to his own believers? Or perhaps....
Perhaps Allah prefers British believers, the reason there are mosques opening and churches closing down.

Quote:
While churches will continue to close, Mosque openings will plateau at some point.
Churches will continue to close as long as the number of worshipers in them keep declining. Churches will begin to open again if the number of worshipers begin to rise. The same can be said about the mosques, in reverse. Mosques will keep opening as long as the number of Muslim worshipers keep rising and begin to close if the number of Muslim worshipers decline drastically.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:57 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I live in the UK and whenever I go to London, I look for a mosque and wudu (ablution) facility at prayer time. Having a mosque nearby is most helpful.

There is a mosque just 2 minutes walk from where I live. It has three large floors (prayer halls) and are almost full on Friday.

Brother GoCardinals is correct to criticize so called Islamic countries. They are going backwards and away from Islam. It's all due to corruption which is rampant in all those third world countries.

Judging by the discussions here, Muslims in the West are most likely to stick to Islam in their everyday lives than those in so-called Islamic countries. Whenever I visit my mother and siblings in such a country I can see how much they have gone away from Islam. Even the clerics there know very little about Islam described in the Qur'an. It is really worrying to see them in that state. I even had to have meetings with my own brothers there to tell them what Islam is all about and not the way they are carrying on in their lives.

How going are you to preserve your religion, if you were already divided? If brother hates brother or thinks low of him? How different are you then from another religion, that took over the world and is now in decay?
Humans, only humans..... So sad.
Have you forgotten that god forsaken wisdom of slave masters - DIVIDE ET IMPERA? And already divided and ruled over are you, instead of standing like one impenetrable faith.
Isn't it same in Islam, as it is in any Abrahamic religion - only god may judge as no human has a measure to judge with?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
How going are you to preserve your religion, if you were already divided?
You can't preserve your faith by being united or divided. You preserve it by sticking to its principles, guidance and doing good deeds.

Quote:
If brother hates brother or thinks low of him?
No, but by highlighting the straight path to the brother if he is astray.

Quote:
How different are you then from another religion, that took over the world and is now in decay?
You are unable to differentiate between a religion and humans. Humans can be in decay by doing evil deeds but religion can't be in decay as long as its principles are preserved.

Quote:
Humans, only humans..... So sad.
I am glad you said "human, only human" rather than "religion, only religion".

Quote:
Have you forgotten that god forsaken wisdom of slave masters - DIVIDE ET IMPERA? And already divided and ruled over are you, instead of standing like one impenetrable faith.
There is nothing wrong with the faith. It is just as indestructible now as it was 1440 years ago when its adherents were less than hundred, severely persecuted and forced to leave their homes. Even three wars waged against them after their migration did not destruct their faith. Instead their faith had become stronger and more widespread. They had built their first mosque at Quba after migration; now the faith adherents are building mosques everywhere, even in London.

Quote:
Isn't it same in Islam, as it is in any Abrahamic religion - only god may judge as no human has a measure to judge with?
Final judgment is with God but there is nothing wrong in trying to guide your brother to be a righteous person by doing good deeds rather than deeds not approved by his faith.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 567 times
as a male 34 white convert to islam on the subject of mosques all over the uk all I will say is wonderfull access to islam every where its a good thing as we as muslims have so much to offer

Old 11-22-2018, 02:16 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Religion, among Anglo-Saxon/Celtic-descended British, has been dying off for a long time in the UK.
It's simple ... it's called development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam