Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:55 AM

159 posts, read 54,314 times

Advertisements

I confess to being very ignorant about the religion of Islam. I hear Islam described by its adherent as "The religion of peace". I've also heard critics claim that the Prophet Mohammad engaged in violence, including killing. What's true, please? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:21 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
I confess to being very ignorant about the religion of Islam. I hear Islam described by its adherent as "The religion of peace". I've also heard critics claim that the Prophet Mohammad engaged in violence, including killing. What's true, please? Thanks in advance.
Islam is a code of life.
You heard about the Prophet's engagement in "act of violence" and you made a thread here.
Have you ever heard about prophet's act of kindness and mercy, and started a thread about it?

Anyway, to address your question.

Muslims are supposed to try to live their lives in the guidance of Islam and in the example of the prophet (saw) - and gist of the matter is, if you are in a state of combat or war, where you will either kill or be killed, then saving one's own life takes precedence.

When wars were instigated against Muslims and/or indulged upon Muslims and their homes, then the prophet (saw) showed an example for Muslim armies to reply with war.

When in a state of war, what does the army commander tell it's soldiers who are under attack?
"If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also." ???

NO! the general tells his army, kill or be killed.

This is how some situations are dealt with, and Muslims have the permission from their religious guidance to reply war tactics with war tactics.

On personal level and on a social level, Islam gives a message of peace and forgiveness.
Islam NEVER tells it's followers to start or instigate a war and take the lives of innocent people. And Islam talks about justice that WILL be rendered to everyone - including those Muslims who have in-justifiably done wrong to others.

Do some more research upon it and see if you come back and create a thread about it.

Here is an example of Quran, listen and read the text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB14FKhqDwA

Old 04-24-2020, 04:26 PM

159 posts, read 54,314 times
It's not my intention to be critical or disrespectful. Yes, I know that Islam preaches peace and tolerance. I have heard the aforementioned claims and, rather than mistakenly believing a falsehood, I thought this might be an appropriate place to obtain an informed response. So, thank you for the explanation.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 12,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
It's not my intention to be critical or disrespectful. Yes, I know that Islam preaches peace and tolerance. I have heard the aforementioned claims and, rather than mistakenly believing a falsehood, I thought this might be an appropriate place to obtain an informed response. So, thank you for the explanation.
Hello, this is my first post here. I have a dissenting view based on my nearly 20-year study of the Qur'an and Islamic history. I do NOT claim to be a scholar, but rather a well informed amateur. There are holes in my knowledge that I am trying to fill.

Mohamed did indeed have people killed. It is my opinion that he was solely responsible for the war between the Muslims and the pagans of Mecca (you might not be aware of that history).

Rather than give you the context now, I'll wait to see if you're interested in learning more. In the meantime, here is a link to a massacre of a Jewish tribe called the Banu Qurayza that was sanctioned by Mohamed. One of his followers (a Jewish convert to Islam) decided that all men and boys should be beheaded, and that their families be taken as slaves. When Mohamed heard of his decision, he agreed that God (Allah) would have pronounced the same sentence, and allowed it to be carried out (Mohamed held absolute sway. If he had wanted to spare their lives, he would have done so). As a result, between 600 and 900 Jewish men and youths were slaughtered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Banu_Qurayza

My hope is to have a civil conversation about the teachings and history of Islam.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:19 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Before this thread goes any further, let me make sure you all know the forum rules.
"The is not the place to post derogatory remarks about Islam, the Qur'an, or any Muslim. This forum exists for discussion about Islam and for people to ask questions about Islam. Posts that generalize blame of Muslims for terrorism or violence, even in veiled terms, will earn the member an infraction that could be as severe as being banned, even on a first offense. This will be at the judgement of the moderators."

Old 05-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Before this thread goes any further, let me make sure you all know the forum rules.
"The is not the place to post derogatory remarks about Islam, the Qur'an, or any Muslim. This forum exists for discussion about Islam and for people to ask questions about Islam. Posts that generalize blame of Muslims for terrorism or violence, even in veiled terms, will earn the member an infraction that could be as severe as being banned, even on a first offense. This will be at the judgement of the moderators."
Yes, I understand. Everything I say about Islam is verifiable. Mohamed did preside over the genocide of the Banu Qurayza. My hope is that the truth is allowed.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch49 View Post
Yes, I understand. Everything I say about Islam is verifiable. Mohamed did preside over the genocide of the Banu Qurayza. My hope is that the truth is allowed.
If you came in here to criticize the religion of Islam, you will not be a member very long.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
If you came in here to criticize the religion of Islam, you will not be a member very long.
I came here to criticize the religion of Islam based on verifiable truths. Emphasis on VERIFIABLE. How can that not be allowed?

Old 05-10-2020, 08:21 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
YES! Moving on!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:

Is there a place (thread) where one can criticize? I hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam