Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 12:55 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the good wishes.

Cordial conversation was appreciated.

Best wishes from a freezing Birmingham morning.

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 09:08 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Thank you
Birmingham? I worked in Gadsden for 2 years. With main office in Birmingham. World is small. Hard to imagine freezing there right now, unless it's global warming sneaking onto Alabama.

Peace and love be with you

Old 11-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Oops

I should have made it clear; Birmingham in the West Midlands UK rather than in Alabama or Michigan.

It looks like a better day tomorrow here. As a keen gardener, I must prune my roses and save my geranium (pelargonium) before the winter sets in.

Warmest regards

Old 11-06-2021, 08:17 AM

A scholar and a gardener.
Great match.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
A scholar and a gardener.
Great match.
I do not regard myself a scholar but I do regard myself a gardener.

I got myself involved in religious discussion on another site, by chance, when I had hurt my back and couldn't go to work in 1999. That's when I realized that despite being a Muslim I knew far less about Islam than I should have known. I couldn't answer questions from non-muslims about Islam. I had to do something about this embarrassment.

I decided at the time to study the Qur'an in depth and understand Islam better. That's when my study of the Qur'an began with Arabic Qur'an and several different translations of the Qur'an. The more I studied the more I understood Islam. It has been an eye opener for me. It has also made me understand my real life goal which has brought me peace in my heart and mind, and made me content with what I already had in terms of possessions. No more greed in my life.

My Qur'an study has been a part-time study without involvement of any scholar or imam. This study has also helped me to be wary of quite a few of so-called scholars and imams. Unless you have studied the Qur'an in depth, they can easily make you go astray or twist your mind. Quite a few of them do not do what they preach. So I am wary of such people.

Islamic discussions on site like this one is my part-time hobby, for spare time such as when it is raining and I can't go into my garden.

In real life situation, I am an ordinary family man, husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather with several interests. In my younger days, I played several sports as an amateur. Gardening has been my main interest since 1974. I am also a very good painter & decorator, wall paper hanger, electrician, plumber, central heating installer etc.

So, you are discussing religious matters here with a very quiet, simple type of family man. None of the Muslims in my community know that I have studied the Qur'an in depth and know about Islam more than them. To me, it was for my personal benefit rather than to impose anything on someone else. With no chip on my shoulder, I can carry on with my life in peace and let others live their life in peace.

Sorry about all this rambling. I had to make clear that I am not an Islamic scholar. I just happen to know a bit more about Islam than many of the Muslims today.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:35 PM

That makes you a scholar. No need to be mullah to learn and understand. I firmly believe, connection with the Superior is personal and personal only. It may be through studies or just through being opened to the inner voice. Paths are many. Final destination is always same.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That makes you a scholar. No need to be mullah to learn and understand. I firmly believe, connection with the Superior is personal and personal only. It may be through studies or just through being opened to the inner voice. Paths are many. Final destination is always same.
I agree with all in bold except that to get to the final destination there is always a straighter path than the rest. That is if you are aware of your destination and are striving to get there.

Study helps to see different angles. It helps to see logic and decision can then be made using reason. The inner voice of your soul can of course play a vital role.

Sometimes it is just common sense that makes us make vital decisions. I was on holidays in Kashmir with my wife during March 2020 when Covid was on the up. I cut my holidays short and changed our flight from 28th March to 17th March. My brother there couldn't understand why I changed my flight. Suddenly, without any notice, all flights to the UK were cancelled from there on 21st March. My brother wanted to know how I knew the flights were going to be cancelled. I told him it was just common sense and nothing more. I told him that I thought UK might stop incoming flights. Yes, you may call it inner voice but even with the inner voice one has to use reason and logic.

My study of the Qur'an hasn't been without reason and logic. The Qur'an is not a spoon-feeding book. It is also not a text book with beginning, middle and an end. Some verses, if taken in isolation, would give wrong impression. I had to gather all the verses from all over the Qur'an on the same topic, issue or subject in order to discard wrong interpretations of certain verses. Nothing was accepted blindly. Whatever was accepted, it was accepted because it made sense, was reasonable and there was no other better alternative after taking everything into account. This is why I do not accept everything that many other Muslims accept as part of Islam.

And of course I fully understand your view point. Just as I won't accept anything that doesn't make sense to me, you too are unlikely to accept anything that doesn't make sense to you. For that, I respect you for your honestly held views.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam