Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
thank you slave of Allah

Jazzak Allah kheer
may Allah reward you.

the Quran is full of nice notes.
Slave of Allah Don't slaves usually feel like killing their slaveholder?

Sincerely,
A freed slave aka atheist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Slaves. Well, that definitely puts Islam on my "Never In a Million Years Will I Convert" list.
the origin langauge of the Quran is arabic
and the Quran is the actual saying of Allah and any translation for the Quran to any other langauge then that translation is not consider the word of Allah but it is called the translation of the meaning of Allah saying.

and there are many translation for the Quran done by many different people.

it might be happened that one of them did not pick up the perfect english word for the actual arabic word said by Allah.

here is another translation for the same verse.

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
the origin langauge of the Quran is arabic
and the Quran is the actual saying of Allah and any translation for the Quran to any other langauge then that translation is not consider the word of Allah but it is called the translation of the meaning of Allah saying.

and there are many translation for the Quran done by many different people.

it might be happened that one of them did not pick up the perfect english word for the actual arabic word said by Allah.

here is another translation for the same verse.

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Nope, still not gonna work on me.

Sorry, I'm just a lost cause for you.

For what it's worth, I don't need any forgiving, by your Allah, by Yahweh, by no one's god. I don't expect you to understand that or to agree with it, any more than I understand or agree with your faith...but that's ok.

I like my faith, where all are welcome, regardless of sexual orientation or marital status, and where disagreements are common and the Divine Feminine is exalted, not feared.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
.......and the Divine Feminine is exalted, not feared.
So, is the Divine Feminine near or far?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
So, is the Divine Feminine near or far?
For me, it's basically the tangible--Mother Earth...for other pagans it equates to female deities to which I do not subscribe (I'm agnostic).

It's as near, to me, as my garden, the forest, the ocean. The creative life force.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
For me, it's basically the tangible--Mother Earth...for other pagans it equates to female deities to which I do not subscribe (I'm agnostic).
I am really curious now that the question has arisen, as to how a god or goddess can be either near or far. I would think that if one were a true follower that god would be close regardless of what the person does. On the other hand, if a follower can be far from their god, then their god is a bit less than personal.

I know the god I talk to is close enough that I can hear him whisper. Likewise he can hear me well even if I mumble. It is really funny, though, when I talk to my god I am never asked for money or for obedience. It seem that he trusts me to do what is right because that is what is needed, and I don't have to be blackmailed into doing it. I've also learned that when I talk to god that he is patient and understanding and is willing to wait until I have a moment to focus on him.

But I have seen other religions pray loudly as though their god is deaf or far away. Makes it seem as though their god ignores them except when their god wants some attention......a lot like a petulant child or a lap dog jumping on you....ignore him long enough and he will punish you. I suppose if their god is so powerful and righteous that it is expected that all the followers shower him or his representatives with money. After all, such a god, without a job, has no income except what his followers give. And those other gods are so insecure, they need people to bow down on a rug several times a day just so their god is reassured that the followers actually are followers. Wouldn't you hate to be a god and have someone you thought you could trust as a follower chose to not follow you any more? makes it pretty important to have the faithful pass laws that require prayer on a regular basis. I suppose mandatory prayer is better than no prayer at all.

I really am interested in the divine femininity....can you tell us more about it? I must admit I am a bit ignorant of that concept.....although I have often said that any world where there are women and butterfly's is a wondrous and beautiful place to be............

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I am really curious now that the question has arisen, as to how a god or goddess can be either near or far. I would think that if one were a true follower that god would be close regardless of what the person does. On the other hand, if a follower can be far from their god, then their god is a bit less than personal.
You make a very good point. I would be similarly interested to know how Allah is viewed--the answers thus far have not been exactly enlightening.

Quote:
I know the god I talk to is close enough that I can hear him whisper. Likewise he can hear me well even if I mumble. It is really funny, though, when I talk to my god I am never asked for money or for obedience. It seem that he trusts me to do what is right because that is what is needed, and I don't have to be blackmailed into doing it. I've also learned that when I talk to god that he is patient and understanding and is willing to wait until I have a moment to focus on him.
The money issue is a major issue with me, but that's a separate thread lol. Seems quite a lot of organized religion (and some smaller sects) are cashing in in a big way. I wonder: how much of that hard-earned money does god actually use? Why does he need it?

Quote:
But I have seen other religions pray loudly as though their god is deaf or far away. Makes it seem as though their god ignores them except when their god wants some attention......a lot like a petulant child or a lap dog jumping on you....ignore him long enough and he will punish you. I suppose if their god is so powerful and righteous that it is expected that all the followers shower him or his representatives with money. After all, such a god, without a job, has no income except what his followers give. And those other gods are so insecure, they need people to bow down on a rug several times a day just so their god is reassured that the followers actually are followers. Wouldn't you hate to be a god and have someone you thought you could trust as a follower chose to not follow you any more? makes it pretty important to have the faithful pass laws that require prayer on a regular basis. I suppose mandatory prayer is better than no prayer at all.
Just my opinion, but Allah sounds very....um....needy. Insecure. High on adoration.

Sounds like my father. :: drum rim shot ::

Quote:
I really am interested in the divine femininity....can you tell us more about it? I must admit I am a bit ignorant of that concept.....although I have often said that any world where there are women and butterfly's is a wondrous and beautiful place to be............
I hope the mods will allow me a short diversion so I may answer...

Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert on this subject (but Joseph Campbell is). That said, the earliest religious artifacts (such as the Venus of Willendorf figurine, which dates to between 24,000 and 22,000 BC) are not depictions of male deities, they are decidedly female.

Goddess/Mother Earth/Gaia in many prehistoric and indigenous faiths, represented earth's bounty in its most basic sense. The earth was life-giving, which was seen as feminine. Goddess worship existed in pre-Judaism just as it did in pre-Islam...the rewriting of the myths to delete the feminine references are significant as both religions then became patriarchal and then subjugated women.

Goddesses existed usually alongside male deities, and are found in the mythologies of Egyptians (Isis/Horus, viewed by many to be the model for Mary/Jesus), Sumerians, Mesopotamians, Greeks, Romans, Celts, etc.

In modern neopaganism, the goddess is seen by some as part of a pantheon or simply as a metaphor, and in some paths she exists alongside a male god. Some pagans view the goddess as comprising all of nature, others see her as a transcendant deity, others still as the One Cosmic Force--existing both externally and internally.

For me personally, the concept of a goddess is extremely metaphorical, a way to deeply meditate and to attempt to 'tune in' to the natural world and with those around me.

And above all, it is definitely not driven by testosterone.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 AM

18 posts, read 22,439 times
rayneinspain

u will find the right information if u want. So, continue and write more question please.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 AM

^^If it's your assumption that I am seeking enlightenment through Islam, you would be grossly mistaken. 1) I will not and cannot worship a male deity, especially one who would glorify polygamy and treat women with such disdain, and 2) there is nothing I have yet read about the Quran I would deem as enlightening.

None of the tenets of Islam fit my life or worldview, nor do the tenets of Christianity.

What neither religion's followers have yet been able to do is ACCEPT the fact that the people who reject their faith are not evil, are not lost, and are not doomed.

Can you imagine how our world could change for the better if there didn't exist the fighting about religion and all the nauseating PROSELYTIZING?

"To each their own."

Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The term slave for /of Allah was on the business card of the terrorist that murdered those people at Fort Hood. Go figure. Allah is the Chief terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam