Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times

Advertisements

The city of Jackson continues to shrink, according to recently released population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. The population is at 171,115 in 2014, down from 172,806. Other cities in the metro:

Bolton 554
Brandon 23,156
Byram 11,556
Canton 13,713
Clinton 25,411
Edwards 1,028
Flora 1,888
Florence 4,306
Flowood 8,556
Madison 25,455
Pearl 26,388
Pelahatchie 1,358
Raymond 2,177
Richland 7,071
Ridgeland 24,221
Terry 1,108
Utica 852

The full list of Mississippi cities:
American FactFinder - Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times
It will continue to fall until people can feel safe. People need to wake up and vote out the whole city council.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:35 AM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
It will continue to fall until people can feel safe. People need to wake up and vote out the whole city council.
Well we know Kenny Stokes needs to go!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:03 PM

I'm OK with the city council as a whole, sans Stokes. I'll give him some credit: he hasn't sounded like the buffoon that he is lately.

While there's definitely room for improvement, it's more than just crime that needs attention. The infrastructure (which is finally starting to be addressed) has a ways to go, and all the abandoned buildings need to torn down. We also need to bring in good jobs.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I'm OK with the city council as a whole, sans Stokes. I'll give him some credit: he hasn't sounded like the buffoon that he is lately.

While there's definitely room for improvement, it's more than just crime that needs attention. The infrastructure (which is finally starting to be addressed) has a ways to go, and all the abandoned buildings need to torn down. We also need to bring in good jobs.
A lot things that are keeping businesses from coming to Jackson. Crime, bad reputation and infrastructure are three of worst. It will take a while for the infrastructure improvements to come to pass.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
A lot things that are keeping businesses from coming to Jackson. Crime, bad reputation and infrastructure are three of worst. It will take a while for the infrastructure improvements to come to pass.
Add horrible leadership to the top of the list

Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 PM

With Yarber in office, I believe he's the most competent leader we've had in a long time. Granted, he can't do it by himself, but he's putting wheels in motion.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:05 AM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Add horrible leadership to the top of the list
What's your proof that there is horrible leadership? Seriously, why are you crapping on Yarber for? He was handed the crap pile and he's just trying to fix it! Granted I'm not an Obama fan, again I compare this to when Obama was first elected in 2008, and everyone was saying that he was handed the mess George Bush had made. Yarber was handed the mess made by Kane Ditto, Harvey Johnson Jr., Frank Melton, & Chokwe Lumumba! Yarber is the first competent leader Jackson has had since Dale Danks!

And I have proof of that! Crime was at an all time low during Danks' tenure as mayor because the criminals were scared of Danks! That carried on over to Madison County, where Danks is now famous for setting $1M bonds! Ditto came in in 1990, and crime SOURED to unbelievable heights! 92 murders in 1995! Wow! Ditto also had a lot of empty promises conceding the then-abandoned King Edward Hotel. Then Harvey Johnson Jr. was elected in 1997, being Jackson's first Black mayor, he too ignored crime and even acted like Jackson didn't have a crime problem. Oh and yeah, for these past mayors, infrastructure never even came up I believe. It wasn't even on their agenda, nor was it even in the farthest reaches of their minds! Heck, Harvey had the chance to located the Mississippi Braves stadium in downtown Jackson, and told the developers that "The city of Jackson ins't interested." ... Really? Hm. So anyway, out with Johnson, in with Frank Melton, who again, didn't do any favors for our city. Melton in ways resembled Hitler and his Gestapo, going around illegally tearing down homes thought to be drug dens, and I think even at one point Melton drug out Allen C. Thompson's Thompson's Tank, which is basically a huge SWAT van, to go around the city and interrogate people. Again, Melton did not do any favors for our city, and actually created a bad reputation for us through his actions. Melton passed away, and in with Harvey again ... Same s***, different day. Then there was Chokwe ... A man from Detroit, who came to Jackson, got himself elected mayor of Jackson, and installed tons of native-Detroitians in his cabinet here in Jackson ... Many people were scared and rightfully so! A man that had obviously come from a city in ruins, coming down to another city that was struggling as well had many people scared Chokwe would turn Jackson into another Detroit. Well, one of those people was me, and I became scared after Chokwe suspended funding for The District at Eastover, which is one of Jackson's biggest construction projects since MetroCenter Mall, coupled along with The Meridian at Fondren. Developer Ted Duckworth even said that the city council was "Mickey-Mousing around.". I became very concerned for the future of the development, as well as the future of Jackson under Chokwe's leadership. But then, a blessing in disguise if you will, Chokwe passed away. So then, a fight to see who could become the next Jackson mayor. In all honesty, when I saw Harvey was running again, I honestly thought he would be reelected.

Under Yarber though, crime in Jackson has gone down, maybe not to the numbers to satisfy Mary Hawkins-Butler, but compared to previous years, crime in Jackson today isn't near as bad. Roads are being paved, neighborhood roads are being paved. The city's website has a list of roads they are doing, and they are starting with neighborhood roads in South Jackson first, but then they will slowly make their way up through the city. Several bad intersections that have decayed over the years have finally seen new pavement, the section of North State between Northside and Meadowbrook has also seen new pavement after years of breaking apart. Capitol Street is again two-way and it is beautiful than ever. Loft apartments are really catching on downtown, as right now there are at least 3 loft apartment developments happening right now! Like I said earlier, The District at Eastover & The Meridian at Fondren are on the way and both are under development as we speak. More businesses have come to locate in the city. The Mississippi Civil Rights Museum & the Mississippi History Museum are both under development right now and are expected to be down by 2017. Westin is coming to Jackson and it will be the first 5 star hotel for the city. A lot of good things are happening under Yarber and more good things will continue to happen under him. I have no doubt the people of Jackson will reelect Yarber when it comes time for a second term. He's certainly the best thing we've had in awhile!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Don't forget our "leaders" who let Worldcom (though they couldn't have foreseen what ended up happening) and Puckett Machinery walk.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:40 AM

77 posts, read 132,272 times
You bring back the Jim Crow way of doing things, enforce it to the full extent of the law, and my dear beloved friends, you will see a veritable renaissance in your heretofore fallen city.

Just this ones 0.02.

Freedom of speech and opinion in America folks. Not asking anyone to agree, only to acknowledge and respect the 1st amendment.

-tips hat- Evenin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson