Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:01 PM

66 posts, read 179,757 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from Texas to Mississippi in the next few months, most likely the Jackson area. We know Madison is supposed to be the best, but also the most expensive. We can afford it, but what are other nice/safer towns other than Madison?

I have never been to Mississippi; we are moving for my husband's work. I am wondering how different it is from Texas? I am originally from California so I know it will be way different from there. Truth is - I love Texas way more than California. Any information would be helpful, pros and cons to Mississippi.

Thanks Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
Just about all of the towns and suburbs around Jackson are good options. How far out do you want to live, and do you have kids?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:55 PM

Our son is out of school already. We would like to live within 30-45 minute if possible, an hour at most. While my husband's job is done remotely, I will need to find a job. Probably our biggest concern is crime/safety. We want to buy a home and can afford Madison, but it would be nice to have something just a little cheaper.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:13 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYeera View Post
Our son is out of school already. We would like to live within 30-45 minute if possible, an hour at most. While my husband's job is done remotely, I will need to find a job. Probably our biggest concern is crime/safety. We want to buy a home and can afford Madison, but it would be nice to have something just a little cheaper.
Ridgeland is between Madison and Jackson. You could try that. If you want safe you are looking at Madison or Brandon. You will just need to come to the area and see them for yourself.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
When it comes to violent crime, very little happens in Madison. In fact, they had their first murder there last year--Madison became a city in the 70s or 80s.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 AM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
The farthest away would probably be Gluckstadt, but those subdivisions out there are pricey too! But yeah, Ridgeland is a good option for homes that are cheap but not too cheap to concern you about the area. It's got good, diverse schools, & it's continuing to grow! There are also cheap housing options in both Brandon & Flowood!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYeera View Post
30-45 mins from where? The heart of downtown? You said your husband could work remotely, but if you are moving to Jackson I'm assuming he has some sort of business location somewhere... otherwise you could remote in from Texas. If his employer is on the south side of the metro it would be silly to look for housing all the way up in Madison.

What type of job are you looking for? Would you be looking in downtown, or somewhere else?

When I lived in the area I lived in Ridgeland and worked at an engineering firm in Madison (farther out from downtown). The commute was amazing... cruising right along at the speed limit (lots of cops around) while waving at the line of bumper-to-bumper cars heading the opposite direction.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Mu husband works for a company in Texas that wants their regional officers to be local now, hence our move as his region is the state of Mississippi. I will be looking for a job in accounting/bookkeeping, so I don't want to be too far out where their are no job opportunities whatsoever, but I also don't think I want to go into downtown Jackson. Honestly though, I am not too familiar with Jackson. I have lived in the Houston and Los Angeles areas where it takes an hour just to get across the city. I would hope to find a job in the town we live in, but I realize that may not be possible.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Here's a good article on the subject. Follow Mississippi Business Journal's link, in the article, to the quoted survey, and you'll see a list with the best suburbs.

Madison named best place to live in Mississippi - Mississippi Business Journal

But really, you don't need to look any farther than Madison. The best of everything (available in the Deep South, anyway) is offered in (or very near) Madison. Moving there, you can just exhale deeply, and RELAX.

Life made easy.

But (and you don't sound as if you or yours would be problematic in the least): if you have a loud muffler, or your kid drives around with sound system thumping, you'd best consider someplace other than Madison. Problem people tend to mysteriously get fired and blacklisted, after their boom cars have driven past the wrong houses a couple of times. And the worst offenders seem to mysteriously disappear and die. There are high-ranking members of various 'parallel power structures' living in Madison, who will "arrange a little something" for people whose behaviors threaten their property values and way of life. But this is no different from how things are in Rancho Santa Fe (and, I hear, Palos Verdes Estates and Beverly Park). The big boys are reputed to employ pros: many ARE pros: nobody will even know. Nobody will even SUSPECT. It will look like a wreck. It will look like an illness. These big men's daughters and granddaughters can be debutantes there (around Jackson, about all it takes is enough money, and you're a deb - you're in a sorority - you're a "socialite" - the big boys hang around, because they can buy their descendants' way "in", with ease. They don't want to move, for social reasons.) So, they have problems removed. But as long as you and your kid behave well and don't habitually make big noise, you'll be fine.)

Let me put it this way: the Westboro Baptist Church was, on separate occasions, reportedly planning to come to Madison and Rankin Counties, to picket/harass military funerals. But the well-developed 'parallel power structures' in those counties are so formidable, Westboro backed out. I shudder to think what WOULD have have happened to their bus caravan, had Westboro persisted. Those boys in Rankin County don't play. And Madison County, where everybody says there are Former KGB and Active Yakuza (among other varieties of highly-trained folk), may have similar 'capabilities'. So really, I would not consider Madison or Brandon, unless I was capable of staying within reasonable parameters of middle class decorum. In the unlikely event that Madison/Brandon behavior standards are too high (and if you fit in, in Palos Verdes, I'm pretty sure you'll be welcome in Madison), there are some fantastic bargains, on absolutely spectacular homes, within Jackson-proper (6470 Old Canton, Jackson, MS 39211 | ID: 275581 | HomeFinder.com), where problem folk don't stand out so much - and it's easy to get their 'charges' dropped. "Rich" white people with problem kids move FROM Madison and Brandon, and back to Jackson, all the time. Much of Jackson-proper is still lovely. What you'd save on a home can offset the cost of Wackenhut patrols https://www.facebook.com/pages/G4s-W...56052301102279.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 07-01-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 04:39 PM

772 posts, read 999,915 times
What's wrong with downtown Jackson? You could work down there just fine! But I understand if somewhere else would make for an easier commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson