Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 AM

235 posts, read 424,826 times

Advertisements

District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way - Mississippi Business Journal

This project seem to be ready to go. Does anyone have any hopes for retail, restaurants, etc.?

I'm really happy that it seems Jackson proper will get a movie theater. And while I hope more for unique, local retail, I wouldn't mind a Cheesecake Factory and Urban Outfitters to be the anchors of this development.

What would you like to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,571 times
I would like to see a lot of upscale clothing stores, Jackson needs a lot of these in the District. Jackson residents have to travel out to Ridgeland or Madison to go to good, quality clothing stores and that shouldn't be the case. Maybe a J.C. Penney's, or how about a Belk! If you live in the city you should be able to shop, eat, and such IN the city. You shouldn't have to travel 10-20 minutes out of the way to do all of that. THAT has been Jackson's problem for the past 20-30 years and it's time we correct that.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Maybe a J.C. Penney's, or how about a Belk!
I was actually thinking a Macy's, but I'm not sure if the development allowed enough room for such a large anchor. And not that I've given it more thought, I would actually like a Microsoft Store or Crate and Barrel. Something new and exciting for the metro area and think some high-end local stores, restaurants, cafes, etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,896,342 times
I just hope it goes through, many grand projects have been envisioned over the past few years (including one that was brought to 75% completion, then abandoned), but died on the vine.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM

Out of curiosity, what project are you referring to, viverlibre?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,896,342 times
Farish Street between Amite and Griffith. Jackson Jambalaya has several articles on it: Jackson Jambalaya: Repost: Over $21 million spent on Farish Street "revitalization".

Many of us who work downtown where looking forward to it. Now it is a boarded up ghost town with several of the windows broken out and has become a magnet for vagrants and others up to no good.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Oh yes, I, sadly, know all about Farish Street. It's so sad that that development continues to languish. I really hope JRA, Watson and whoever the next mayor is can get together to make that development a reality. Even if it isn't as grand as originally hoped. I just want Farish Street to be completed in time for 2017, Mississippi's bicentennial. Can you imagine the opening of the Civil Rights Museum and then people shopping in Eastover and finally heading over to Farish Street for late night bites and drinks? It could be a real turning point for Jackson, and I hope a bunch of political backhanded deals and hurt feelings don't stall what could be a true turning point for Jackson.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
I just looked at the images that have been generated for 'The District'. Goodness! They sure did load up those pictures with pretty young white people. Pretty young white people, casually strolling with shopping bags, after dark, even! I'm not sure how the developers plan to deliver all those pale-n'-trendy young things, though. Will there be controlled access? Will there be a high, embassy-style fence surrounding the development, with a check-point and guards? Why, exactly, would these ideal beings be drawn to the place?

Are those butt-ugly Danish Modern buildings (Nice touch, hiring a firm named 'Nelsen' as Architects) going to receive fabulously luxurious finishes and fittings, in order to take the stink off the rather typical ugly Modern design? Is slathering the proposed buildings with the best marbles, the most expensive metals, and veneers of tropical hardwoods, what is expected to draw in these sleek young white professionals? (not that there's any chance of premium finishes being applied here) And from where are these ideal young people expected to be drawn? Are there really enough young doctors willing to live those bleak buildings? The developers had better pray that Mid-century Modern stays 'in'.

Fact is, you can drive around Jacktown and see a plethora - a panoply - a cavalcade - of ugly modern buildings pretty-much the same as the new ones in the Eastover District 'renderings'. They're depressing. They look cheap. They do not draw hipsters: not the ones built in the Fifties, nor the ones built in the Sixties, nor the ones from the Seventies, nor the ones from the Eighties or the Nineties. And considering Jackson's demographic decline, they seem not to have attracted pretty young white people. If anything, those buildings have repelled them.

OK... What would I put in a building like that, in order to skew the demographic mix toward mod young Whites and Asians? What would be on-theme for that bleak architecture? Marimekko, of course! Marimekko's modish crap looks about like those buildings. And some Sushi franchise with a carefully-controlled image (don't know of any, because I don't eat raw fish). And, by all means, try getting a stand-alone Jil Sander store. Her signature greasemop hair and minimalist garb are soooo like those buildings. And why not a Comme des Garçons store? I'd love to be a fly on the wall, when you ring them up and try to persuade them to come to fabulous, happening Jackson.

"OH! But we have RENDERINGS! Are you looking at our array of renderings on Pinterest? Ya? See all the people shopping in the renderings? See? It's gonna be HIP! Oh, yaaaaa... we can offer you three years, rent-free, and maybe.... how many million just to come here? Really? Saks Off Fifth only asked... "

Once the dust has settled, I predict the usual skankynail boutiques, wig shops, and barbecue places.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
Yawn. The usual rant against Jackson doing anything to improve itself might actually have made some sense. But then anyone with a brain realizes that Highland Village (with the brand new Whole Foods right next door) is literally one block away from The District. And HV manages very well to maintain a young white demographic, with not a single wig shop on the premises.

If they get The District built, it will be a success. The problem is Jackson has a poor record of getting these things completed.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I just looked at the images that have been generated for 'The District'. Goodness! They sure did load up those pictures with pretty young white people. Pretty young white people, casually strolling with shopping bags, after dark, even! I'm not sure how the developers plan to deliver all those pale-n'-trendy young things, though. Will there be controlled access? Will there be a high, embassy-style fence surrounding the development, with a check-point and guards? Why, exactly, would these ideal beings be drawn to the place?

Are those butt-ugly Danish Modern buildings (Nice touch, hiring a firm named 'Nelsen' as Architects) going to receive fabulously luxurious finishes and fittings, in order to take the stink off the rather typical ugly Modern design? Is slathering the proposed buildings with the best marbles, the most expensive metals, and veneers of tropical hardwoods, what is expected to draw in these sleek young white professionals? (not that there's any chance of premium finishes being applied here) And from where are these ideal young people expected to be drawn? Are there really enough young doctors willing to live those bleak buildings? The developers had better pray that Mid-century Modern stays 'in'.

Fact is, you can drive around Jacktown and see a plethora - a panoply - a cavalcade - of ugly modern buildings pretty-much the same as the new ones in the Eastover District 'renderings'. They're depressing. They look cheap. They do not draw hipsters: not the ones built in the Fifties, nor the ones built in the Sixties, nor the ones from the Seventies, nor the ones from the Eighties or the Nineties. And considering Jackson's demographic decline, they seem not to have attracted pretty young white people. If anything, those buildings have repelled them.

OK... What would I put in a building like that, in order to skew the demographic mix toward mod young Whites and Asians? What would be on-theme for that bleak architecture? Marimekko, of course! Marimekko's modish crap looks about like those buildings. And some Sushi franchise with a carefully-controlled image (don't know of any, because I don't eat raw fish). And, by all means, try getting a stand-alone Jil Sander store. Her signature greasemop hair and minimalist garb are soooo like those buildings. And why not a Comme des Garçons store? I'd love to be a fly on the wall, when you ring them up and try to persuade them to come to fabulous, happening Jackson.

"OH! But we have RENDERINGS! Are you looking at our array of renderings on Pinterest? Ya? See all the people shopping in the renderings? See? It's gonna be HIP! Oh, yaaaaa... we can offer you three years, rent-free, and maybe.... how many million just to come here? Really? Saks Off Fifth only asked... "

Once the dust has settled, I predict the usual skankynail boutiques, wig shops, and barbecue places.
another long winded rant by someone who doesn't live in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson