Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 02:52 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times

Advertisements

There's just something about crabmeat that brings out the best in Jackson's young people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBXZdt2Ti8n And I'm all for anything which gets the kids up off the couch, and motivates them toward some physical exertions, for a change.

Seems like only yesterday, when I reported that Crab Rangoon topped the list most-delivered foods in Jackson. https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...itrs-most.html
However, come to think of it, in that thread, someone informed me that there's no actual crab in Crab Rangoon. Could the discovery of this fact be what inspired these wholesome teens to such heights of athleticism?

But truly, this is the most excitement since the Cantaloupe Throwdown at the Food Depot: https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...ood-depot.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 04:28 PM

560 posts, read 785,956 times
It is nice to see these fresh-faced youths engaging in vigorous activity. The Springtime Of Life! And young adults who exercise, and most importantly, socialize together, just may achieve better mental health than their more sedentary counterparts. After all, socializing is an important part of exercising!

If these young people were encouraged to exercise as a group for 20 minutes each day they could improve on overall physical endurance, balance, and flexibility. Group activities such as the video illustrates helps to encourage our youths to challenge each other, and forge friendships outside of this daily group exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBXZdt2Ti8

With the written consent of the Kickin Crab I am donating two dartboards to help facilitate what I hope will become a lasting fellowship among these promising young members of Jackson. In addition to the dartboards, my gift will include "The Mirror." "It's not just a mirror, It's a Sweat Session. It's a Boxing Ring." https://www.mirror.co/shop/mirror?ut...saAlkgEALw_wcB

The Kickin Crab. Where our youth gathers for Good Health! For Fraternity. And to get crabs.

Last edited by Seadory; 04-26-2021 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 06:24 PM

Default Update! Even BETTER VIDEO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
It is nice to see these fresh-faced youths engaging in vigorous activity. The Springtime Of Life! And young adults who exercise, and most importantly, socialize together, just may achieve better mental health than their more sedentary counterparts. After all, socializing is an important part of exercising!

If these young people were encouraged to exercise as a group for 20 minutes each day they could improve on overall physical endurance, balance, and flexibility. Group activities such as the video illustrates helps to encourage our youths to challenge each other, and forge friendships outside of this daily group exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBXZdt2Ti8

With the written consent of the Kickin Crab I am donating two dartboards to help facilitate what I hope will become a lasting fellowship among these promising young members of Jackson. In addition to the dartboards, my gift will include "The Mirror." "It's not just a mirror, It's a Sweat Session. It's a Boxing Ring." https://www.mirror.co/shop/mirror?ut...saAlkgEALw_wcB

The Kickin Crab. Where our youth gathers for Good Health! For Fraternity. And to get crabs.
Thank you, Seadory!! Following your first link, showed me that the video I'd linked to the thread's Original Post, now requires signing-in to YouTube for age verification (apparently, it was one young lady's bikini bottom which offended someone - not that that's anything worse than you'd see, on any given day, up in the Frontage Road Kroger, where some customers do things to Cheetah-print Jeggings, which totally defy the Limits of Lycra). No wonder the thread hasn't been getting much action. Nobody could see the video.

So, here's the NEW VIDEO: https://www.wapt.com/article/jackson...roups/36258157

In the foreground, is that a long blonde weave? Or is one young lady being swallowed, head-first, by a giant octopus? Did the Jeep come crashing through the wall, in order to save her and others from the octopus? Are there other maneating octopi, elsewhere, unseen by the camera? Is this why these heroic young people are throwing chairs?

Nonetheless, as you have said, nothing says 'Socialization and Bonding', better than the attempted use of chairs as murder weapons. So, when you suggested a dart board, were you thinking along the lines of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB159KmrK9I ? It's more participatory... offering more bonding.

I like 'The Mirror', too. In this case, should the mirror be wall-sized, and chairproof, featuring Man-in-the-mirror images of Charles Manson, Satan, and Judge Judy?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,656 times
A friend of mine who is a former Jackson resident I had to make aware of this.

Jackson acting like typical Jackson. Drove through there in 2019, place scared the hell out of me. It's like a low-rent Memphis.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:53 PM

Default UPDATE: Just down Ridgewood, "The Murder Bar" is EXPANDING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
A friend of mine who is a former Jackson resident I had to make aware of this.

Jackson acting like typical Jackson. Drove through there in 2019, place scared the hell out of me. It's like a low-rent Memphis.
Apologies for my delayed response. Current events have had us "distracted", to put it mildly. Your assessment of Jackson was accurate and wise. And the comparison with Memphis, has considerable merit. Memphis, at least, has Victorian Village and Overton Square (and "Moe-wuuuuud Eye-LAAAN", as the hokey commercials used to scream at us).

Jackson has a collection of bleak, Modernist, government-subsidized projects, devoid of color and ornament and interest, which have basically been deserted since each was completed. Then, there are "iconic" local "institutions", which have grown organically. When Professional Food Aesthetes from up in Yankeeland, accompanied by camera crews, visit these "local icons", locals throng to them, for however-long the camera crews remain. From a distance, the Pig Ear Sandwiches are delicious and "soulful". And the brick sidewalks, bought, decades-back, with government monies, are packed with revelers enjoying..... as long as those camera crews are around. Cameramen, of course, know how to avoid lensing what lies contiguous with those brick sidewalks: long walls composed of the remnants of storefronts, through whose gaping apertures, one can see entire blocks of vacant lots. With the right angle, you can show that lone building with an actual business inside, along with the twenty or thirty young, trendy locals, who're there to see the filming of the whatever. Add some street musicians, and it looks and sounds - momentarily - like Bourbon Street or Beale Street .... as long as it's viewed from precisely the right angle.

However, there is an economy in Jackson. And there is activity. There are actually some young people. Capturing the local market, just down Ridgewood a bit from The Kickin' Crab, is the club unofficially known - in some circles - as THE MURDER BAR. It's expanding: Jackson Jambalaya: M-Bar Wants to Expand I love those scale figures in the illustration. I don't know whether to call them aspirational, delusional, or deceptive. (one assumes they were chosen to reassure or mollify a zoning board or somesuch)

Ridgewood Road, as someone recently explained, is "to Jackson, what Westheimer is to Houston". It's the spine of what remains of the affluent sliver of the city, known as "Fashionable Northeast Jackson".

As for the REALITY of what the venue's history should tell us to expect, a quick google reveals: https://www.google.com/search?client...aya+Murder+Bar

Still, I like the Kickin' Crab's video better, than ones from even the most pungent, poignant, pugilistic events at The M-Bar

Old 11-17-2021, 04:09 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Is Jackson really as bad as I hear here and elsewhere? If so, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there.

The last time I was there was driving through on the way from New Orleans to New Orleans, some 20 years ago. It was after dark so I didn't really see much. Before that, I suppose it was attending a couple of college football games in the '60s, and it seemed fine then. Of course, that was through the eyes of a late teens/early twenties person. Before that, we took a field trip to the Capitol in junior high, and I remember hearing on the news about the controversy of Ross Barnett putting gold fixtures in the bathrooms of the governors mansion.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is Jackson really as bad as I hear here and elsewhere? If so, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there.

The last time I was there was driving through on the way from New Orleans to New Orleans, some 20 years ago. It was after dark so I didn't really see much. Before that, I suppose it was attending a couple of college football games in the '60s, and it seemed fine then. Of course, that was through the eyes of a late teens/early twenties person. Before that, we took a field trip to the Capitol in junior high, and I remember hearing on the news about the controversy of Ross Barnett putting gold fixtures in the bathrooms of the governors mansion.
You know the answer. It's like any other southern city. The city is crime-ridden save for a few areas. Corrupt government, etc. The suburbs in the metro are fine.

The other guy was correct. It's a smaller Memphis or Birmingham, except it's a capital city. It also gets a worse rap because it's located in Mississippi, which also gets a bad rap, #50 and so forth. It's a bigger Montgomery maybe, without a military base. Or perhaps a bigger Macon with a capitol but without Atlanta. Baton Rouge or Columbia without major universities. It's also a river city that's why Memphis and NOLA are similar.

If you're from Mississippi, you can make fun of Jackson. If you're from somewhere else, you can't, you can go kick rocks and pound sand. I know you're from Mississippi, but you speak as if you aren't and it seems your love is for Huntsville and Alabama now. So you don't count.

It's not my preferred place to live, but it's where the jobs are.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:50 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You know the answer. It's like any other southern city. The city is crime-ridden save for a few areas. Corrupt government, etc. The suburbs in the metro are fine.

The other guy was correct. It's a smaller Memphis or Birmingham, except it's a capital city. It also gets a worse rap because it's located in Mississippi, which also gets a bad rap, #50 and so forth. It's a bigger Montgomery maybe, without a military base. Or perhaps a bigger Macon with a capitol but without Atlanta. Baton Rouge or Columbia without major universities. It's also a river city that's why Memphis and NOLA are similar.

If you're from Mississippi, you can make fun of Jackson. If you're from somewhere else, you can't, you can go kick rocks and pound sand. I know you're from Mississippi, but you speak as if you aren't and it seems your love is for Huntsville and Alabama now. So you don't count.

It's not my preferred place to live, but it's where the jobs are.
MAL, you have a strange way of interpreting things. I've read my post several times and nowhere do I see where I was making fun of Mississippi or Jackson. As I said, most of my data on Jackson and the state is from reading here and a couple of sports boards. When I grew up in Meridian, it was a nice place - good schools, friendly people, and nice neighborhoods. I went back 10 years ago for a high school reunion and, other than the hotel we stayed in, the place was dead. Went downtown and the once vibrant stores were literally and figuratively boarded up. That's not making fun, just stating facts. When I was a kid you could go downtown on a weekend and barely be able to walk the sidewalks for the people. It was a very urban place at the time, though relatively small. It's not that way any longer. I know little about Jackson, but it doesn't sound like a place I'd want to visit right now. Just like downtown Birmingham and some of the environs.

Plus, I'm not sure how you can refer to typical Southern cities as being crime-ridden. Some are, many are not. But no more than cities in other parts of the country.

And yes, I like Huntsville. The fact that I stayed after retiring ten years ago it evident. I have no particular love for Alabama in general, however.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:52 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
MAL, you have a strange way of interpreting things. I've read my post several times and nowhere do I see where I was making fun of Mississippi or Jackson. As I said, most of my data on Jackson and the state is from reading here and a couple of sports boards. When I grew up in Meridian, it was a nice place - good schools, friendly people, and nice neighborhoods. I went back 10 years ago for a high school reunion and, other than the hotel we stayed in, the place was dead. Went downtown and the once vibrant stores were literally and figuratively boarded up. That's not making fun, just stating facts. When I was a kid you could go downtown on a weekend and barely be able to walk the sidewalks for the people. It was a very urban place at the time, though relatively small. It's not that way any longer. I know little about Jackson, but it doesn't sound like a place I'd want to visit right now. Just like downtown Birmingham and some of the environs.

Plus, I'm not sure how you can refer to typical Southern cities as being crime-ridden. Some are, many are not. But no more than cities in other parts of the country.

And yes, I like Huntsville. The fact that I stayed after retiring ten years ago it evident. I have no particular love for Alabama in general, however.
Sorry. I do offer my apology, I can see where I wandered into a$$hole territory.

I guess I'm tiring of the constant bashing of Jackson (metro), because to me, all Mississippians have a stake in the state's capital city being a viable place. Basically I'm just tired of the negativity.

Of course, you're not going to see me support most of Jackson Proper. It's near unsalvageable from the outside, like most similar cities. But living in the metro area is not a whole lot different than anywhere else.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:17 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:

It is as bad as you hear. I've lived in Jxn since 1995, the city was still in good shape (although clearly in decline) at that time. Downtown was bustling, on breaks office employees were out and about walking all over, there were several restaurants and weekend festivals a few times per year. I can even remember a portable ice skating rink being set up in the late 90s. Before COVID, downtown had already become a shell of itself, I'd see less and less people out and about every year. The Landmark Center was likely the busiest downtown building, with restaurants, shops, a dentist office and branch of Bank Plus. One day while needing to visit the bank, I walked to the Landmark Center, pulled on the door and it was padlocked shut! This was 2010ish (?), it has been closed since. A colleague from Nashville visited in 2016, his first remark, "when did Jackson turn into this?" Most of the rest of Jackson is near a third world city. Jackson does have some good areas, Fondren/Belhaven, and the Eastover Area (the richest people in MS live in Eastover), but are very small and have little impact on the city - and still have crime. The biggest problem with Jackson is poor leadership (at all levels). I believe most of the current city leadership has little interest in bettering the city, more interested in playing the victim instead.

What happened to Jxn?
1. Suburbs grew with low crime and good public schools
2. City leadership putting virtually no effort in keeping businesses in (or attracting businesses to) the city
3. Katrina - we got a lot of NOLA refugees who stayed
4. Nissan - the Nissan Plant took a lot of working class families out of the city as they relocated closer to the plant (and better schools) as their incomes grew
5. Crime
6. Incompetence of city leaders

There's an old saying, "with no vision, people will perish." Other than Frank Melton, I can't think of another mayor with a realistic vision for the city.

Last edited by viverlibre; 11-24-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson