Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 09:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

https://www.wlbt.com/2023/01/07/anal...-major-cities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 05:49 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Great news! And Jackson won by such a wide margin, it looks like her title may be safe for next year, too! Isn't this the first time she's been Number One, for two years in a row? In the past, Saint Louis or Memphis would edge ahead, and break Jackson's winning streak.

The competition's fierce, but, as the pageant queens sing: "A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins"!

I just did a casual google, looking for the world's cities with the highest murder rates. Instead, I found a Wikipedia graph of the world's most dangerous nations. El Salvador, which is like the Miss Universe of Murder Rates - winning by an incredibly-wide margin, with a murder rate around 82 - had better be glad she's a nation and not a city. Because Jackson, with a murder rate of 88.8, would snatch that crown right off her head - and keep it.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-07-2023 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-09-2023, 02:46 PM

8,331 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Great news! And Jackson won by such a wide margin, it looks like her title may be safe for next year, too! Isn't this the first time she's been Number One, for two years in a row? In the past, Saint Louis or Memphis would edge ahead, and break Jackson's winning streak.

The competition's fierce, but, as the pageant queens sing: "A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins"!

I just did a casual google, looking for the world's cities with the highest murder rates. Instead, I found a Wikipedia graph of the world's most dangerous nations. El Salvador, which is like the Miss Universe of Murder Rates - winning by an incredibly-wide margin, with a murder rate around 82 - had better be glad she's a nation and not a city. Because Jackson, with a murder rate of 88.8, would snatch that crown right off her head - and keep it.
That 82 rate for El Salvador was in 2016 and a 21% improvement over 2015 where their rate was 104 per 100k. Insane.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:22 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Most of the time, the fact that Jackson Proper's population dipped below 200K keeps us off the lists, or we'd be the reigning #1 on many lists for like 20 years!!

Appears this one set the cut off at 130K. Most of them use 200K.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:48 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Very interesting piece. And very troubling. Ole Miss criminal justice department chair Wes Jennings made some good points about the changing demographics and increasing police visibility. "The low number of JPD officers plays a role in that too, Jennings added, though the actual number of active-duty officers has not been disclosed in months."

Budget Invests in Reducing Gun Crime to Make Our Communities Safer. From The White House.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/brief...unities-safer/

Old 01-12-2023, 08:12 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Most of the time, the fact that Jackson Proper's population dipped below 200K keeps us off the lists, or we'd be the reigning #1 on many lists for like 20 years!!

Appears this one set the cut off at 130K. Most of them use 200K.
Another problem with these lists is that it's based on the city limits of individual municipalities, not the metro area. All metro areas have "bad" areas, but lots of major metro areas actually have the "bad" areas in adjacent cities. Take St. Louis, which only includes St. Louis, MO. Add in the much smaller but much worse East St. Louis, IL and it changes all the numbers.

The city limits of Jackson, MS just happen to include all the "bad" areas, while the much safer adjacent cities (and their population) aren't counted.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:55 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
Another problem with these lists is that it's based on the city limits of individual municipalities, not the metro area. All metro areas have "bad" areas, but lots of major metro areas actually have the "bad" areas in adjacent cities. Take St. Louis, which only includes St. Louis, MO. Add in the much smaller but much worse East St. Louis, IL and it changes all the numbers.

The city limits of Jackson, MS just happen to include all the "bad" areas, while the much safer adjacent cities (and their population) aren't counted.
Yeah no question about this. I tell people that all the time, folks just absolutely cannot grasp the concept of a metro area.

A good example is the people in Huntsville, AL who claim they are biggest (or soon to be biggest) city in Alabama. Factually true, but a laughable notion. Then they'll say, "well is it true or is it not?", and all I can do is sit there and drool.

However, fractured metro areas without a solid core city do signal issues with other things. But it still tends not to matter, they are invisible borders. Take Atlanta, for instance, population of less than 500K in the city limits, with a metro population of over 6 million. No one would ever say that Atlanta isn't a successful metro area, that would be silly.

Bottom line, I don't know why these publications just can't rate metro areas? It would be much closer to the truth. I mean I have people asking me about water problems and crime, and I live way out in the rural county. I'm more worried about skunks under my porch than crime. It's like common sense left the building years ago.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:47 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yeah no question about this. I tell people that all the time, folks just absolutely cannot grasp the concept of a metro area.

A good example is the people in Huntsville, AL who claim they are biggest (or soon to be biggest) city in Alabama. Factually true, but a laughable notion. Then they'll say, "well is it true or is it not?", and all I can do is sit there and drool.

However, fractured metro areas without a solid core city do signal issues with other things. But it still tends not to matter, they are invisible borders. Take Atlanta, for instance, population of less than 500K in the city limits, with a metro population of over 6 million. No one would ever say that Atlanta isn't a successful metro area, that would be silly.

Bottom line, I don't know why these publications just can't rate metro areas? It would be much closer to the truth. I mean I have people asking me about water problems and crime, and I live way out in the rural county. I'm more worried about skunks under my porch than crime. It's like common sense left the building years ago.
They are articles that cover metro and some suburbs/rural areas law enforcement don't report their incidents to the FBI database. Even when just looking at city propers, the geography of homicides is in the same locations.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:49 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
Default More affirmation from national media!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Very interesting piece. And very troubling. Ole Miss criminal justice department chair Wes Jennings made some good points about the changing demographics and increasing police visibility. "The low number of JPD officers plays a role in that too, Jennings added, though the actual number of active-duty officers has not been disclosed in months."
This linked comment, below a Jackson Jambalaya thread on Mayor BabyChok's latest odd phrasing, (a video is posted, which offers a clue as to why there are so few JPD officers), is a quote from PseudoConservative TraitorNews: Jackson Jambalaya: Freudian Slip? The PoPo are in BabyChok's way, somehow. (Just scroll upward, for the article/video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
That 82 rate for El Salvador was in 2016 and a 21% improvement over 2015 where their rate was 104 per 100k. Insane.
I suppose the fair comparison would be with El Salvador's Capital, San Salvador. I've lost patience trying to find San Salvador's 2022 number per 100,000. Every source is vague in its wording. But it looks like San Salvador is slipping - with murders going down a whopping 50% (tantamount to slipping and falling, while wowing the pageant audience with your baton-twirling routine). Looks like the number is around 52: in which case Jackson will be not only snatching the crown off San Salvador's head, but delivering an onstage beatdown to her rival, before stomping offstage - pausing to look back at her crumpled opponent, while hurling the words, "That's MISS Jackson, to you!"

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-25-2023 at 11:59 AM..

Old 02-25-2023, 01:06 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
El Salvador just locked up thousands of gang-members and built new prisons to hold them all. Their rates will be much lower going forward.

They've figured out how to stop crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: