Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM

141 posts, read 752,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
But the First Amendment outweighs the Second Commandment.

That's blasphemy. Complete and total blasphemy. The 1st amendment may allow you to get away with it in a legal sense, but you will never escape punishment in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
Blasphemy is the use of the name of one or more gods, in a manner which is considered objectionable by a religious authority. It may include using sacred names as stress expletives without intention to pray or speak of sacred matters; it is also sometimes defined as language expressing disapproved beliefs, or disbelief. In some countries, these restrictions have the force of law.

Thank you for helping illustrate my point.

You who object most to such "blasphemous" speech should appreciate most the protection such laws afford you as believers. As for any "punishment" I may suffer, that's not for you or your god to decide. My god gave me an evolved brain and expects me to use it.

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I am moving to Jackson Miss and my family is over the top religious, in my opinion. They consider language like, oh my god, oh lord, jesus christ, offensive. This is to me, normal. This is how I talk. My question to those of you on this forum is, is this the status quo? I plan on living in Fondren or Belhaven - hopefully more liberal areas. But is this normal? I am not talking about curse words - I can contain that. But to ask me to speak virtually from english to spanish is a bit much. I really do not want to do this. How common is this? Are my family the norm? Thanks - or thank God - for any response you can give me.
I was merely trying to address your initial questions. You are moving into the Deep South, deep into the Bible belt.

Therefore, the answer is yes, it is the status quo.

Yes, it is your given right to decide that this is not so important to you, but to the majority of people here in the South, it is.

When people talk about the South, they might not realize that 'the South' is a culture, a way of life that has embraced people for many years. The underlying core of this culture is Christian views.

So, it is a safe bet to say that as the other poster put it, under the Constitution you have every right to say what you want, under that same Constitution, Christian rights to not like it are also protected. I would grow a thick skin against the stares you will most certainly get.

I say this not to be cruel, or to disavow your right to how you believe and/or speak, but to say that the majority of the South is this way.

I hope this answered your question.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
That's blasphemy. Complete and total blasphemy. The 1st amendment may allow you to get away with it in a legal sense, but you will never escape punishment in the end.
Oh please, who died and made YOU God? But, alas, not everyone is reasonable, such is life. But you wouldn't catch me drinking any kool-aid with you.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I grew up in the South and that didn't stop me from saying all kinds of variations of "Jesus Christ". I don't take the Lord's name in vain, but luckily Jesus is free from that category.

But it depends on you. I had no problem excising people from my life who were offended. They're generally not the type of people I would ever want to be around. I remember having a neighbor when I was 4 or 5 who banned me from her home for saying "gosh". Those aren't the types of people I would like to be around and if my choice of language helps me separate them out then better for me.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I was merely trying to address your initial questions. You are moving into the Deep South, deep into the Bible belt.

Therefore, the answer is yes, it is the status quo.

Yes, it is your given right to decide that this is not so important to you, but to the majority of people here in the South, it is.

When people talk about the South, they might not realize that 'the South' is a culture, a way of life that has embraced people for many years. The underlying core of this culture is Christian views.

So, it is a safe bet to say that as the other poster put it, under the Constitution you have every right to say what you want, under that same Constitution, Christian rights to not like it are also protected. I would grow a thick skin against the stares you will most certainly get.

I say this not to be cruel, or to disavow your right to how you believe and/or speak, but to say that the majority of the South is this way.

I hope this answered your question.
No offense taken, I appreciate your honesty. But to be clear, I don't go around in the general public cursing. Again, I appreciate your honest response.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Joanie55 After reading through the posts I think you get the message that --yes--it is common to avoid such references in public outside the circle of intimates whom you know to be like-voiced. That being said--from one who moved to the South from a different culture-it is the least, I would think, of your adjustments.

Look- I use the same references you do on a DAILY basis but haven't found it difficult to mute them on occasion. Just like you would if you were meeting the Pope or the way you change your language(we all do) according to the environment you are in. You don't wear sandals to the job interview, you don't say "so what's up" when greeting your grandma(metaphorically speaking)--this is just another aspect of minding your manners.

I hope you are better prepared for the culture shock of such a move than you sound. Besides the religion there is the lack of food choices, a very conservative political climate, a lot of provincial thought because many are not well-traveled, and perhaps a different set of priorities than what you hold. That being said not all are the same--variety does exist and there are those who will be similar in world view to yourself--you have to seek them out. They do exist and are alive and well--and I do not find life stifling in the least here. I just realize where I am and have adapted and adjusted and shown respect for others. I use etiquette and simple awareness of my surroundings. I have had nothing but kindness in return. Leave disdain and confrontation in Florida. And realize you will be coming to another culture.

I mean if you went to live and work in Japan or Egypt or even eastern Europe for a few years--wouldn't you expect to do the same? To pay attention to local custom and mores and to not insult or offend? At the same time you can be true to yourself and not "convert". Same thing.

As far as the friendliness being superficial, I have heard this often and I disagree. The friendliness in the public domain--greeting with a smile and hello-a wave-an inquiry about your health and family--is great for a sense of general well-being and pleasant mood. That doesn't mean that everyone who does so expects to be your BFF immediately. I would rather have this than the dumb stare, cold-aversion of eye-contact, and frowning countenance I see when I visit my home state. Friendship comes in time like anywhere else. And a positive attitude doesn't hurt in that regard either. Good luck!!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
joanie55, when do you plan on moving to Jackson?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
joanie55, when do you plan on moving to Jackson?
At the end of this month, and I still have no place to live - but my cousin is going to look at 4 properties for me today in Belhaven. I would prefer Fondren but there is not as much inventory there unfortunately. Why do you ask?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
At the end of this month, and I still have no place to live - but my cousin is going to look at 4 properties for me today in Belhaven. I would prefer Fondren but there is not as much inventory there unfortunately. Why do you ask?
I wanted to know if you needed some help finding a house. Are you looking to rent or buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson