Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM

203 posts, read 596,819 times

Advertisements

I will have an oppurtunity to transfer to the Jacksonville area around late summer. I don't know much about the area or how it compares to the West Palm Beach area which is where i am now. Is there anyone here who is familiar with both areas that can give me a good idea on how they compare, which do you like better and why. Do you think the cost of living is cheaper in the Jacksonville area compared to south Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Yes, the cost of living in jax is cheaper.

But not substantially, unless you are talking cheap available real estate, sports venues, or cover charges.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,914 times
There aren't many similarities. North and South Florida are extremely different places, so I find it hard to draw valid comparisons.

As far as cost of living, Jax is extraordinarily cheaper than South Florida.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Both areas are really big - have good and bad areas - so it's hard to generalize. In general - our traffic is better here. We get cold weather during the winter (not oppressively so - except for this last winter - worst I've seen in 15 years). Shopping is more limited - as is dining - on the high end. Although we have the full range of middle of the road establishments. We have a more normal age demographic (not as many old people) - and fewer seasonal residents. No pronounced Hispanic influence. People tend to be more religious here. Politically - we are in general more conservative than Palm Beach County.

Most things are cheaper here. Cost of housing - auto insurance - things like that. With the current distressed state of the real estate market everywhere in Florida - it is hard to tell how much cheaper.

I think the most important point to keep in mind is the metro area is really big. FSU813 and I both live in the metro area - but probably 20+ miles away from one another in totally different parts of town. I'm sure there are people here who live 30+ miles away from one another. I guess the most important question is what area would you be working in? That would kind of narrow things down. Because although our traffic isn't awful - it is pretty easy winding up with a long commute to/from work depending on where you work - and where you live.

Another question. What things do you/your family like to do? You may find more or less of them here depending on what they are. Robyn

Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Both areas are really big - have good and bad areas - so it's hard to generalize. In general - our traffic is better here. We get cold weather during the winter (not oppressively so - except for this last winter - worst I've seen in 15 years). Shopping is more limited - as is dining - on the high end. Although we have the full range of middle of the road establishments. We have a more normal age demographic (not as many old people) - and fewer seasonal residents. No pronounced Hispanic influence. People tend to be more religious here. Politically - we are in general more conservative than Palm Beach County.

Most things are cheaper here. Cost of housing - auto insurance - things like that. With the current distressed state of the real estate market everywhere in Florida - it is hard to tell how much cheaper.

I think the most important point to keep in mind is the metro area is really big. FSU813 and I both live in the metro area - but probably 20+ miles away from one another in totally different parts of town. I'm sure there are people here who live 30+ miles away from one another. I guess the most important question is what area would you be working in? That would kind of narrow things down. Because although our traffic isn't awful - it is pretty easy winding up with a long commute to/from work depending on where you work - and where you live.

Another question. What things do you/your family like to do? You may find more or less of them here depending on what they are. Robyn
I'll be commuting in a company vehicle and i get paid while doing so. The job sites will constantly change and i'll be all over the region. I'm single and when i'm not working i like to boat, fish, water ski, jet ski, ride my motorcycle, softball, billiards and i'm an excellent beach bum. I prefer an area that spreads out as i've spent most of my life living in the northeast just outside of Phila. One of the problems i have with south Fl. is how packed in everyone is from east to west. No matter how nice the area is that you live in there's a very bad, run down area just a few miles away. I imagine you can put some distance between yourself and the bad areas in Jacksonville. Also, i've spent time as an owner operator driving 18 wheelers for a living and it appears Jacksonville is a hot spot for the transportation industry. I might be able to benefit from that on the side. I'll come up there for a week before i decide but i'd like to figure out the better parts of the city and weed out the bad sections so i don't waste my time. thanks for the quick replies.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM

310 posts, read 868,647 times
If you ride often it's a good idea to be located near A1A, as that's one of the most scenic routes for bikers.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
I will have an oppurtunity to transfer to the Jacksonville area around late summer. I don't know much about the area or how it compares to the West Palm Beach area which is where i am now. Is there anyone here who is familiar with both areas that can give me a good idea on how they compare, which do you like better and why. Do you think the cost of living is cheaper in the Jacksonville area compared to south Florida?
Well, WPB, best I can remember, had way better strip clubs than Jacksonville. But that was over 20 years ago, and I got kicked out of WPB while working on a construction project down there, and was asked not to return by the Sherrif's department, so I haven't actually been back there since then. If that's not a huge factor for you, you will probably really like Jacksonville. I love my city, bad strip clubs and all! LOL!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Hence your name here - deadhead (I'm a retired lawyer who used to represent insurance companies that insured 18 wheelers - so I know what deadhead means). Young single beach bum . That spells the beaches for me. Unlike south Florida - the beach areas in Duval/St. Johns County range from somewhat upper class to downright funky (and some small areas are crummy section 8 housing areas). More like the Jersey shore than Palm Beach (I grew up in Cherry Hill NJ - used to boat as a kid in Atlantic City - and lived/worked in center city Philadelphia before I moved to Florida in 1971).

The beaches here aren't really "spread out" - but they're certainly not as dense as what you're talking about in most of Palm Beach County. Heck - I lived in Miami for 20+ years before I moved here 15 years ago - and when I go back to south Florida now - it's wall to wall up to the Everglades. OTOH - the beaches aren't a place where you'll be able to park an 18 wheeler. On the third hand - there are neighborhoods where you can park a small boat at your place - and areas where you can launch it on the ICW for water-skiing and similar. Our near ocean areas are quite a bit different from those in Palm Beach County! We do have an ocean fishing moratorium in effect for fish like redfish (goes from north Florida up to the Carolinas). And I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything caught in the St. Johns River these days. But I am no expert on fishing (about once a year I go to the Jax Beach pier - catch some "aquarium fish" - and throw them back - you will have to check those things out for yourself.

Anyway - when you come up here - take a look at the "Jacksonville Beaches". Might be a good fit. Robyn

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM

377 posts, read 877,648 times
I will just make a quick comment about the beach itself: do not expect clear water like in WPB, it doesn't exist here.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 AM

I know the ocean doesn't look like it does in south Florida. I've passed through the area several times in my life, just never considered living there. Here's a question... does the water temperature stay on the warm side most of the year? What are the average temperatures throughout the year? I do love the beach and water sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville