Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that this forum can be pretty snarky at times. Now that we're coming up on perhaps the best time of year here - fall - early winter - the Holiday Season - when the weather is great but there aren't many chores to do (like spring cleaning - gardening - etc.) - can we perhaps put our differences aside and tell people (whether or not they live here) what we most like to see/do this time of year?

I personally am looking forward to going outside again without getting heat prostration or curious bug bites. Outside activities. Golf - long walks anywhere (for exercise or shopping or whatever). Seeing the animals at the zoo "wake up" from all-day summer snoozing.

I like to see the start of the football season - and the "arts" season (even if my favorite arts season thing is the smoked turkey leg at the Gainesville Arts Show). The Jacksonville Fair.

The reopening of County Line Produce where you can get fresh local food. Mayport shrimp are running.

Halloween (I take my holidays one at a time and the next is Halloween - I think Costco is way too early starting Christmas before Labor Day). I live on a super major Halloween block. And although I'm not really a sadist - I always buy these creepy crawly Halloween dishes where "the hand" comes down when a child tries to take some candy. Plus we play spooky Halloween music on computer speakers that we set up in front of our house (can be heard about a block away).

It was 70 degrees on our porch this morning. First time I've seen that in months. I'm ready for the fall. You probably are too. What do you like about the fall here? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
riding bikes without sweating
well without sweating through your shirt at least =)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM

310 posts, read 868,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
Jesus, I was just about to post the same!
We live around the corner from SR13 and are going to ride south as far as we feel like it on Saturday (usually that means until Mr. D's butt starts to hurt, lol).

This is also the time of year I pull out the camera and take tons of pictures of the kids. It's also high school football season, which is always a treat.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,090 times
... a hot mug of coffee and the morning newspaper on the front porch when it's about 50 degreess ...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,210 times
I remember last year we had a ton of visitors in October and it was just beautiful weather. We could walk to the parks, play football in the yard, and it was NICE.....oh and we could turn off the A/C!!!!

I like cooler weather, not cold weather, but cooler weather. I enjoy getting a hot spiced pumpkin latte and not be hot while drinking it.

plus after all my years in michigan I always associate football with cool weather....so far I've been to a several high school football games and one gator game and we were melting.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Questions View Post
Yup - I think that's what most of us are looking forward to. Turning off the heat lamp. That big sun in the sky. Only taking 1 or maybe 2 showers a day instead of 2 or 3.

FWIW - I'm with wb3690 about cold weather. Being from Miami - well last winter just about did me in. If I had to choose between last winter and this summer - well I'd choose this summer. But - fingers crossed - I won't be forced to make the choice for at least a few years looking forward. Here's to less extreme winters and summers <toast>.

And Dappleganger - you should get Mr. D. one of those oh so soft big wide bike seats. They look kind of dorky - but are kinder on anatomy (especially male anatomy ) than those skinny little racing seats.

Do any of you do garden stuff in the fall? I tried for a while after I first moved here. Planting 20 mums that basically said goodbye after 2 weeks. Veggies that gave up before being edible. Stuff like that. So I washed my hands of it. These days - the only garden stuff I do in the fall is a light trim here and there and a bit of clean up. If you're new to the area - forget our fall "garden" season - and have fun doing other things. There's plenty of gardening stuff to do in the late winter and spring - and your efforts will be more productive IMO.

Forgot to mention - one of the things I love to do as the weather cools is cooking cool weather stuff. Right now - it's about grilling season (never liked to grill when it was 95 at 7 pm). And then we work our way into things like stew/braise season. Not to mention the really bad for you football game stuff. I am sure most of you know it - but the absolute best football game queso dip in the world is a stick of Velveeta melted in the microwave with your favorite salsa (mine is Newman's regular medium). This recipe has been around for maybe 50 years - but has never been bettered IMO. Although - as I get older - it becomes harder to justify eating it - except when I'm watching football. And I'll have to hang my head and try to justify myself when I get my regular primary practitioner checkup next month. If my numbers are bad - I'll have to say - but doctor - the Gators made me do it . Robyn

P.S. I do root for the Jaguars - but last week's game made it hard for me to put anything on them - except heavy drinking (queso dip is fun - the last Jaguars game was not).

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've noticed that this forum can be pretty snarky at times. Now that we're coming up on perhaps the best time of year here - fall - early winter - the Holiday Season - when the weather is great but there aren't many chores to do (like spring cleaning - gardening - etc.) - can we perhaps put our differences aside and tell people (whether or not they live here) what we most like to see/do this time of year?

I personally am looking forward to going outside again without getting heat prostration or curious bug bites. Outside activities. Golf - long walks anywhere (for exercise or shopping or whatever). Seeing the animals at the zoo "wake up" from all-day summer snoozing.

I like to see the start of the football season - and the "arts" season (even if my favorite arts season thing is the smoked turkey leg at the Gainesville Arts Show). The Jacksonville Fair.

The reopening of County Line Produce where you can get fresh local food. Mayport shrimp are running.

Halloween (I take my holidays one at a time and the next is Halloween - I think Costco is way too early starting Christmas before Labor Day). I live on a super major Halloween block. And although I'm not really a sadist - I always buy these creepy crawly Halloween dishes where "the hand" comes down when a child tries to take some candy. Plus we play spooky Halloween music on computer speakers that we set up in front of our house (can be heard about a block away).

It was 70 degrees on our porch this morning. First time I've seen that in months. I'm ready for the fall. You probably are too. What do you like about the fall here? Robyn

The bikini's go into the storage bags, the sun tans all start to fade, the Holiday pounds are coming right around the corner, Native plants will surely die soon, the smell of fresh cut grass will disappear....how can anyone like this time of year?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM

310 posts, read 868,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

And Dappleganger - you should get Mr. D. one of those oh so soft big wide bike seats. They look kind of dorky - but are kinder on anatomy (especially male anatomy ) than those skinny little racing seats.
That would look pretty silly on his Harley, LOL! We live just off a major trail for bikers, and as soon as cooler weather hits you can hear the rumble on weekend mornings then again when we all return. There are three other couples in our neighborhood who ride (we each have our own).

Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
That would look pretty silly on his Harley, LOL! We live just off a major trail for bikers, and as soon as cooler weather hits you can hear the rumble on weekend mornings then again when we all return. There are three other couples in our neighborhood who ride (we each have our own).
Thought you meant a bicycle . Robyn

Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
grilling season is year round rookies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville