Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 PM

57 posts, read 143,158 times

Advertisements

There is has been a lot of talk about the Jags not being able to sell out any games. I went to check about going and saw the cheapest tickets are $50!!! This is according to ticket master. I have a family of 5 and it would cost about $300 for me to take the them to a game after all the fees and what not. Then another $15-$20 for parking and on top of that who knows how much for a few sodas at the game. I am sure when it is all said and done it would be around $400 to take my family to 1 game!!! They have all these empty seats why not drop the ticket prices?? I would think they would rather have someone pay $20 a ticket instead of the seat going unsold.

When I lived in Atlanta and Author Blank to over the first thing he did was drop ticket prices. You would get an upper deck ticket for only $10!!!! I know the dome hold about 25,000 more seats, but I will say this again would you as an owner not want to get some money per seat then none at all?? Anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
Great idea but will the Jgs listen

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
They're offering some sort of Flex Ticket thing, but honestly the radio ad was so confusing I stopped listening.

The policy of KISS should apply -- offer cheap seats, offer 2 for 1 tickets, make getting there easy and inexpensive -- all these things would/could get fans out of the sports bars and into the stadium. There really is a good fan base - just look at the cars spilling out of the parking lot of Sneakers and places such as that on game day.

Blacking out the home games does absolutely nothing but make folks like me begin to not care one way or the other about our local team - if it's not affordable, it's just not affordable whether on TV or not, whether a winning season or not.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,481 times
I got an email at work this week that the Jaguar organization is offering our organization tickets at a discounted price. I own four season tickets, so I am not too happy to know that I could have bought my tickets for $10-$20 per ticket per game than I paid for the season tickets!!
Maybe next year, I should just wait until they offer the discounted prices...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
My wife is in the same "organization" as JagFan. I was glad to see the offered discounts, but I doubt we'll ever put 'em to use. LOL I'm actually going this weekend, but not at a discounted rate. No, I don't make sense sometimes.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell29bell View Post
There is has been a lot of talk about the Jags not being able to sell out any games. I went to check about going and saw the cheapest tickets are $50!!! This is according to ticket master. I have a family of 5 and it would cost about $300 for me to take the them to a game after all the fees and what not. Then another $15-$20 for parking and on top of that who knows how much for a few sodas at the game. I am sure when it is all said and done it would be around $400 to take my family to 1 game!!! They have all these empty seats why not drop the ticket prices?? I would think they would rather have someone pay $20 a ticket instead of the seat going unsold.

When I lived in Atlanta and Author Blank to over the first thing he did was drop ticket prices. You would get an upper deck ticket for only $10!!!! I know the dome hold about 25,000 more seats, but I will say this again would you as an owner not want to get some money per seat then none at all?? Anyone have any thoughts?
shellbell, you are correct that it is very costly to bring a large family to an NFL game. I empathize with you, but also recognize that they can't drop prices. If they lower ticket prices now it would devalue the product. How would everyone who bought season tickets feel if people were now purchasing the same thing as them but for half the price? or less? What would it do to future sales when people expect ticket prices to drop? And ultimately, they just can't offer tickets that cheap year after year given the amount of ticket sales revenue made by the big market franchises. To be part of revenue sharing, a club has to eclipse a minimum mark for revenue.

I don't believe upper deck tickets were $10 with the Falcons in the past decade. Perhaps you bought the tickets second hand for below face value, but the Georgia Dome is only marginally larger than Jax's stadium (for NFL games...for college games Jax's capacity is higher) and the cheapest regular single game seat is $55 according to the Falcons website. If you bought season tickets, the cheapest ticket was $35 each for ten games. Not bad, but pretty much on par with the Jags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
They're offering some sort of Flex Ticket thing, but honestly the radio ad was so confusing I stopped listening.

The policy of KISS should apply -- offer cheap seats, offer 2 for 1 tickets, make getting there easy and inexpensive -- all these things would/could get fans out of the sports bars and into the stadium. There really is a good fan base - just look at the cars spilling out of the parking lot of Sneakers and places such as that on game day.

Blacking out the home games does absolutely nothing but make folks like me begin to not care one way or the other about our local team - if it's not affordable, it's just not affordable whether on TV or not, whether a winning season or not.
The flex pack is pretty simple...you can buy 3 tickets for the same cost per game as season tickets. (40/game) Only, you don't have to buy all ten games. Just three games. And you get to pick which three. And which seats you want...the concept is simple but their ad may have been confusing.

The long-term effect of blacking out games is debateable, but I understand and agree that going to games can be cost-prohibitive for many many people. But the economics of the NFL is not gonna change (in fact, could get much much much worse when the CBA expires) so maybe we just can't afford to have a local team. I don't think anyone should get the blame for this; people who cant afford tickets just cant afford them, and people who dont want tickets shouldnt be forced to buy them. But that doesnt change the fact that NFL ticket prices aren't coming down...and the Jags will leave Jacksonville eventually if more people in this city aren't able or willing to buy tickets.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
haha, looks like ill partially eat my words. thanks for the update...I hope they're able to sell a lot more tickets and make it an economically worthwhile move.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM

We were season ticket holders for the Falcons in 2003 and for the upper deck tickets we paid $100 a ticket for the season. That is for 10 games, so yes they were $10 a ticket per game. That was the 1st year the falcons sold out every game of the season in more than 20 years at that time. You are correct that now they have raised up prices back up and the cheap tickets are $55. I am not blaming anyone I was just stating during these hard times they could drop prices to get more people to come to the games.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM

I mistyped it was the 2002 season. Also here is an article that mentions the $10 tickets. Signup - Knowledge@Emory

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM

59 posts, read 149,817 times
I read somewhere the Jags are doing poorly because Jax has the smallest metro area than any other large city, despite being something like the 16th largest city in the nation. I tried to find the article but to no avail.

I too empathize with you and wanting to take your family to a game, I tend to think all NFL ticket prices start in the $50 range. Which is why I prefer a large high definition TV, a reclining chair, and a BBQ 8-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville