Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,792 times

Advertisements

sorry daisies76, if I call someone out I should get the right person! GrsPAFL- I will walk your dog if you aren't able. It is cruel to keep a dog confined and with out exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:52 AM

I always pick up the number 2 , but the number 1 ? Good for you for being so fastidiously courteous , but somehow spraying the pee while carrying around the poop bag, just reminds me of something I would have seen Felix Unger on the Odd Couple doing while Oscar would sitting back and putting out his cigar on the same lawn. Somehow society has become more Felix and less Oscar.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
I always pick up the number 2 , but the number 1 ? Good for you for being so fastidiously courteous , but somehow spraying the pee while carrying around the poop bag, just reminds me of something I would have seen Felix Unger on the Odd Couple doing while Oscar would sitting back and putting out his cigar on the same lawn. Somehow society has become more Felix and less Oscar.
I agree with you...sort of. It doesn't really matter how I feel about dogs peeing or pooping in my neighbor's yard. It's not my yard. I guess I feel like I don't get to decide what my neighbors should be willing to tolerate.

When we lived out in the country in Mississippi, it wasn't an issue. Our property backed up to the woods. And behind that was a horse farm. My dog had the run of the property. Now that we are back in neighborhood again, we have to adapt to sharing space with our neighbors. And that requires respecting that they may not want dogs (or cats) in their yards.

It's a trade off...I love the amenities in Julington Creek. I love that my kids have tons of friends close by. I love the safety. And I love our neighbors. I miss having more property and a larger yard. We'll stay in neighborhoods like Julington Creek as long as we have young kids. It's a great place for families. But I would never consider retiring in a place like this. I need way more space!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I also agree. We will probably stay in the area until the kids are grown and then move in town a bit.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM

I agree in part. It's not like I let my dogs run through the neighborhood ( I have a Husky so he would just keep on running) but I can't always turn off the blatter/and or dog marking instincts in time to prevent little pee from ending up on the lawn of a neighbor. I mean some things are just not worth worrying about. If someone is going to get that upset about that, then I will buy them a beer or two and explain why they need to relax and let the pee flow.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
If your dog has an occasional problem on a walk (I agree dogs need exercise) - well they're not potty trained and I would understand (just like I'd understand if a guy was walking around and ran to the woods in the back of our house to deal with an "urgent" problem). But people walk their dogs and let them mark neighbors' properties for future reference. Once a guy assumed my husband (who was mowing the lawn) was a yard guy - and allowed his dog to let loose before my husband gave him a piece of his mind.

The way I look at it - I have a yard - and neighbor has a yard. Dog can do its business in neighbor's yard - and then be taken for a walk. Or perhaps people with dogs can enter into a front yard sharing agreement. Note that although we have that rule about "scooping up" - my husband still occasionally winds up with dog feces on his shoes when he mows the lawn. Yuck. Robyn

Old 10-31-2010, 06:38 PM

77 posts, read 234,962 times
Those were actual quotes from real people. In fact, they were from women over 60 - those who stayed in the plantation after the kids graduated high school and college.
Our neighborhood is newer. The housing prices flushed out a lot of young families. Our subdivision has a disproportionate amount of people who retired to the wrong place. They love the rules - they have the property mgmt co. on speed dial.
There is some middle ground between vehicles up on blocks in the front yard and conspicuous garbage cans. Rule enforcement was over the top and the POA told them to back off - they did. But the cease fire has been for only a year after a long period of over zealous enforcement.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
Those were actual quotes from real people. In fact, they were from women over 60 - those who stayed in the plantation after the kids graduated high school and college.
Our neighborhood is newer. The housing prices flushed out a lot of young families. Our subdivision has a disproportionate amount of people who retired to the wrong place. They love the rules - they have the property mgmt co. on speed dial.
There is some middle ground between vehicles up on blocks in the front yard and conspicuous garbage cans. Rule enforcement was over the top and the POA told them to back off - they did. But the cease fire has been for only a year after a long period of over zealous enforcement.
These were the rules you mentioned:

I like it that everybody has to keep their lawn looking nice.

I wish they'd close their garage door/hide their garbage cans, I'm tired of looking at that.

I wish they would make (fill in name of subdivision) a gated community so we can keep those people out who pick our trash on the night before garbage day.

Their weeds are blowing into my lawn, I'm going to report them for not taking care of their grass.

I don't like when their dog pees in my grass. My dog (that I do not exercise or allow to leave my yard) doesn't pee in their yard.

Which do you have a problem with? I'll note that with regard to the garbage cans and closed garage doors - not only do we have rules about that where I live - but Sheriff Shoar has told residents to keep garage doors closed unless the garage is in use to avoid acts of vandalism and pretty theft.

And although I live in a gated community - people other than garbage people do pick up trash at our curbs in the early morning. So what? We specifically leave things we think people might pick up a bit separate from the rest of trash. If our trash is someone else's "treasure" - who cares? FWIW - people even pick up our newspapers from our recycling bin (guess they have litters of puppies).

Finally - I wish there was a way to prevent weeds from spreading by doing simple lawn maintenance. Unfortunately - there is not. I do however get mad when people plant invasive exotics and they wind up seeding in my yard (although there's nothing I can do about it - the plants aren't illegal). Robyn

Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 AM

77 posts, read 234,962 times
I think May Mgmt needs to add 1 rule: We’re not going to help you fight a war with your neighbor.
They forgot the old saying: Never fight with a pig, you’ll only get dirty and the pig enjoys it.

We picked out our home in 1 weekend (corporate relocation). I didn’t know communities had rules for garage doors and garbage cans (didn’t see nothin’ at closing). Maybe a Del Webb retirement community, but not a place for young families. In North Florida? With all the rebel flags we passed on the drive from the airport? I’m not being a snob here – it just seems incongruous. Like what are we all getting dressed up for? Who’s motorcade is coming to the subdivision?

You can’t know what a place is like to live in, until you do. Which is what the OP was asking. He could talk to a realtor or real people, but he asked City-Data. And that’s where I come in.

Where there’s lots of rules, there’s lots of rule enforcement, lots of rule followers, and people who like to enforce rules simply because it is a rule. And when you get old and start getting carried away about the rules, make an appointment with your PCP. See if they can write a prescription for something that will help you. Don’t be a PITA just because you can.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Quote:
Where there’s lots of rules, there’s lots of rule enforcement, lots of rule followers, and people who like to enforce rules simply because it is a rule.
If you buy a home in a covenant restricted community without reading the covenants, then you really can't blame your evil HOA for enforcing the rules. I have five kids. Our oldest is away at college. We also have a 17, 16, 14, and 8 year old. I think Julington Creek is a great place for young kids. This entire neighborhood is one big playground. The community was built for kids. We have never had one single problem with the HOA or with our neighbors. And I haven't heard a single person in my neighborhood complain about enforcement. People move into neighborhoods with strict covenants for a reason. We like the rules!

I'll never understand how folks can move into a neighborhood with an active HOA and restrictive covenants...then complain about the rules. You agreed to the rules when you bought your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville