Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Camp Tracey in Jacksonville, Florida known for physical, mental & sexual abuse to kids be
Yes 23 65.71%
No 4 11.43%
Not No Hell No 3 8.57%
I need to research the information to answer this question 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 12,185 times

Advertisements

I was replying back to a post I had found about the known abuse at Camp Tracey Children's Home Ministry, Jacksonville, Florida. However, when I went to post it I got a reply saying "this thread is closed". I do not think this thread should be closed because as far as I know Camp Tracey, Jacksonville, Florida is still open, and parents need to know about this place before they send their children there.

I was replying back to someone named Sproat who said they were never abused there. If Sproat reads this I still would like them to know I am VERY HAPPY that you were never a victim of Camp Tracey. However, I am sad to say that Camp Tracey was a CHILD'S PRISON. They are not lying about Camp Tracey at all. I know this for a fact as I know some of the victims very well of this horrific front for Christianity. The victims I am talking about are my biological children. Their adoptive parents put them in this swamp sink hole, and left them there even when they found out about the abuse. When I found out I wanted to take them out so fast, however, my hands were tied, and I could not not legally even step foot on the place, and the person that calls himself Pastor McCormick made sure of it. The day my last child turned 18 I was standing at the front gate waiting to get in, and take him home which, I did. I have tried for years to help my children close this prison down, and I can not figure out how or why they stay open but, they do. My children even hired a lawyer who did nothing for them except give them excuses. I am so very proud of my children, and how they have overcome adversity to get through every year of their lives. However, I know that they have so many demons, and nightmares from that place that they will never be able to get rid of them. If I could only have one wish in my life. I would wish that my children could shed their demons, and nightmares, and send them to the CRIMINALS OF CAMP TRACEY IN JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA that violated them while they served the rest of their days behind bars trying to get away from people like them. Not very Christian right? Well what was done to my children in the name of Christianity was not very Christian either. What kind of God allows things like this to happen to beautiful innocent children like mine? I can always reiterate the bible passage, "An Eye For An Eye, and A Tooth For A Tooth"
.....I could only wish...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM

48 posts, read 167,843 times
Wow, that hellhole is still open? I find that amazing. It's always been evil, in my opinion. When it opened in the early 80s, I knew a girl whose mother put her in there while mom was going through a divorce. The friend was a good student, kind girl who was always quiet and stayed out of trouble. Camp Tracey was very traumatic for her, and she finally was able to escape and contact her father, who made sure she never went back there. To my knowledge she was not one of the ones sexually abused there, but hearing details from her of the hard labor camp treatment, the physical abuse, and the lack of medical care was a shock. I'm in my mid-40s and the name of the place still sends shivers down my spine when I hear about it.

I wish parents would just look on Jacksonville.com for historical articles on the place before they decide whether to send their children there. Read the comments to the articles, not from the kids, but from the parents who were horrified by the treatment their kids received. Historically, the church exemptions meant that what few inspections the place might get from child services were not publically available. Perhaps the place does reform some kids, and maybe it could help if you were convinced your kid's next actions would get them incarcerated for life, but parents please do your homework before you decide whether to risk your child being scarred for life by the experience. Look at the lawsuits, read the grand jury report, and realize that places like that don't change. There are other more effective and safer places out there that can help your child.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
The root of this type of problem is religious fronts usually trump the laws in our country. Why do you think the Catholic church heads have mostly gotten off the hook for all the molesting charges?? I'm just saying, if that were just some random organization & not a major religion, they would have had the Pope hauled off in shackles by now.

But the politicians & law makers can't upset that Christian & Catholic vote, now can they. It's pretty disgusting, but that's the world we're living in.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 PM

237 posts, read 457,826 times
I must admit, I too, have knowledge of the abuse that went on there. We used to have church buses come through our neighborhood every sunday morning, they would pass out candy and play games, good times, until they took us on a trip to campy tracy. I found a friend of mine from elementary school that ended up there after her mom was killed in accident and her dad didn't really have time for her. she would tell me horrible stories of how they were treated, beaten, molested, etc. sickening.
My oldest sister went to Harvest Christian Academy from 10th grade until she graduated from there. She used to volunteer out there and made a few friends as well. God will handle them accordingly.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 11,839 times
Default I Am A Former "Camp Girl"

I went there in 2000 when i was 12 yrs old. Upon my arrival i was stripped of all my possesions, pictures,clothes, family, and many other things that came with me from home. I was put into the "new girl dorm" i was under strict supervison. I was not allowed to speak to anyone, not even make a noise or i would be in trouble (This was called gag). I had to face the wall and when i was walking around i had to look at the ground i was not allowed to make eye contact with anyone. For being twelve this was a very scarey experience for me. I was already alone, and on top of that i was being treated like an animal. I was there for 2.5 years. I was contstantly in trouble. For little things that not even inmates in prison would get in trouble for. The only way to get on top and not be in trouble in the camp tracey world was to play thier game. For girls that were there between 2000 and 2003 you know what i mean. You had to be to other girls, treat them like crap, get them in trouble for even slightly glancing at another girl. When i wasnt in trouble i was allowed to go to school or what they called school. Going to class was like heaven. I loved the teachers, i could sit in my cubical and actually have peace for a few hours without the dorm mom or other higher up camp girlsfinding reasons to get me in trouble. I was never sexually abused, however i heard other girls talking about it there. One girl tried to commit suicide by drinking bleach. You know how they responded to it? they beat her ass and worked her out in the gym until she would have bloody hands from crab walking or passed out. Then they would make her get back up and do it again and they would follow her around with a paddle and beat her. I had a few good times but those were far and few. I loved going to the mission to get bread with grampies...he was so sweet the only one besides brother greg that was really kind to the girls. I also do not agree with how they made us thier personal slaves. I was always cleaning the pig pen or digging holes just to fill them back in...or scrubbing the gym with a tooth brush. I would really like to tell some of the good times i had there but like i said they are few...and im just showing Camp Traceys Staff the kindness they showed me when i was there. I was 12 yrs old, all i wanted was someone to love me my life back home was screwed up I was taken away from my mother and my dad was going through a divorce. I needed someone to understand me not someone to work me like a slave,hit me, yell at me, be little me,and treat me like an animal for being a child. Thats all i really have to say for now : )

Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 23,032 times
Camp Tracey was not that way to me. God has shown me the benifits of favor from my year and a half I spent there in my not so great youth.
I dont understand why people help mess up ther kids lives, want them now out of there homes because they can not handle there kids. or the problems inside the home
explode and they can't deal.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 23,032 times
Default and

Not all the kids were out there because they were bad kids some just had no other place to go. there were many kinds of kids that just showed up. We went from nine boys to twenty plus, while i was there. We bouhgt the land out on Crews Rd.
I was the tenth boy at Camp Tracy and I have a much better life for it.
I was never abused in any way,
I NEVER saw anything that looked or sounded like abuse.
I am sorry if any kind actual abuse did happen to anyone at all
while they were threre
I do not approve of any such conduct for any reason.
it is most horrific to hear.
p/s God still Loves you !!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 22,949 times
I was there in the 80's and I did witness abuse. One girl no one liked and they made her run from the dumpster to the back door I don't remember how many times but it was alot. When she stopped to get her breath she would get paddled. She eventually just laid down and cried. She was repeatedly abused in that way. Every one was made to hate her and we all did. I can't remember alot from back then but that girl and her treatment I will always remember. There were other girls with similar treatment but It didn't happen to all. They did have their favorites and we were treated better but God help you if they didn't like you.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 22,949 times
I am also looking to get in touch with other people that were there when I was. If you know someone that was there from '85-'90 please give me their email or give them mine. I would like to reconnect. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 PM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
And these people call themselves christians. Im tired of hypocrisy in christianity. I drove by a church today that said "pig roast and carnival!"

Do they not know the bible bans the eating of pork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville