Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 PM

159 posts, read 656,139 times

Advertisements

Motorola Recall of Digital Cable Set-Top Boxes

They brought me one that looked like it had been thru the war with duct tape sticky on the top. It took the installer 1.5 hours to get it to work. Since it says Digital Interactive Communications on the front I was curious as to what interactive features it had and Googled it. The Federal Consumer Product Saftey Commission Recall showed up.

Meantime I've been emailing Motorola and they tell me Comcast should have picked all these boxes up. The installer said they only bring out what Comcast gives them. Comcast Customer Self-Service Dept said if you're not happy with your box YOU can bring it to them and exchange it. Let me think: the Federal Govt issued a recall on the boxes because they are not safe when you pull the plug!

I told the installer I copied a couple of relatives on the letter I wrote to my Comcast Salesman and told them if this thing caught my apt on fire and I died to "Sue 'em all". I told him that would include him since he has a responsibilty to the customer to not install unsafe, recalled equipment. He came out in the tropical storm today with a new box.

I am curious to know how many people are out here with these dangerous boxes that don't even know it. If Comcast is still distributing these boxes which were recalled in 2002 we need to report it to the Federal Consumer Product Saftey Commission hotline at the least and maybe file a Class Action Lawsuit if they continue to distribute them.

PLEASE DM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE BOXES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:09 AM

870 posts, read 2,180,677 times
Thanks for the heads up. I checked....my DVR/cable box is DCT3416.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Default Thank You for sharing this!

I have that box, LandShark.

My box appeared brand new when they brought it to me 6 months ago, and it has worked fine, but I do not like the sound of that recall.

I can follow their directions and not unplug in an "explosive" manner , but what if the box is accidentally moved in a way that pulls the cord? I don't need the house burning down .

I'm going to have Comcast switch it out.......what kind of box should I ask them for?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 29,773 times
Default Wow....

Oh my, and they were recalled in 2002, yet Comcast is still using and distributing the boxes ?? That is horrible...I too, have one of those boxes and it has never really worked as well as the other cable box that I have in my living room..maybe that is why ?

Nonetheless, comcast will be called tommorrow regarding that...and Landshark, I would also be interested to see where it goes from this point (in regards to filing as necessary)

Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM

Riveree, Abigail:

Sorry I missed your posts. I did get a new box but I forgot the DCT #____?
It's small enough to hold in my hand and weighs almost nothing. The remote control drawfs it!

I hope they changed your boxes out. It's good to let them know the public is not blind to their wreckless antics. At least I have made the manufacturer aware that they are still distributing these boxes.

In the event I hear about anyone having a house fire and the cause is determined to be the recalled cable box, I have documentation that both Comcast and the manufacturer were aware that they are distributing recalled boxes and I will forward it to the injured parties for evidence in a lawsuit.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,456 times
Angry Motorola Interactive Digital Box

I live in a 750 unit high rise condo in Chicago; each unit was provided with 2 of those beat up converter boxes at no charge. Now I know why they were free and will be notifying our board about this recall. Also at least 5 other high rise condos in this area have the same boxes. I hate Comcast and hope this may be a venue to get out of our longterm contract. Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 AM

Mercedes413:

I am glad you saw this post. The box they gave me was all beat up and even had duct tape on the top. Spread the word around! In this case you want to look the gift horse in the mouth!

I believe the cable companies enter into an agreement of some sort with local cities to be the one and only cable company for that city or metropolitan area. I know that is the way it worked when I lived in metro Atlanta because we got notice that the cable company we had was no longer servicing our area and another was replacing it. Get on the horn to your city officials and give a piece of your mind! They need to know about this!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,024 times
Default house fire from comcast box

Hey land Shark 99. I work for an insurance company and I recently had a total loss house fire that resulted from a comcast box. Can you forward me the documentation on the recalls?? Thanks very much.
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville