Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 23,189 times

Advertisements

We plan on moving back north after our daughter starts school where the cutoff date is Nov. 30, not Aug. 30 as it is in FL. My child's preschool teachers have told me she is extremely bright. I want her to start school early for FL, so that she will be on track once we move back to NY. As a teacher I know my daughter is ready on all levels. I would appreciate any suggestions on private schools in the World Golf Area of St. Johns County (or even southern Jax) that will adequately prepare her for public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM

5,158 posts, read 6,133,704 times
I would also like to know that, we miss the date by just a few days. We have been told though it might be advantageous as being older, they will most likely be more mature and not as inclined to lean towards peer pressure. They might be the ones being looked up to. We also need to decide on keeping them together or apart. Good luck

Last edited by JBtwinz; 01-12-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 03:51 PM

250 posts, read 706,350 times
my sister got around that by going to private school. so my suggestion is just doing more research even talking to school principals if necessary. my sister ended up graduating from FSU at the age of 19 btw.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
As someone ( and a retired teacher) whose daughter has a November birthday & who always lagged behind her classmates , I would not advise you to push your daughter ahead. What is the hurry?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,179 times
I agree with Nancy Thereader! My son had a late birthday. We went along with the cut off age and I have never regreted that. He was smart as a whip and could have gone in early, but why? He didn't miss anything by waiting and was a bit more mature when he did go. That helped alot.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,356 times
I agree. My son has a November birthday, so he started school when he was well past 5 years of age. I was in no hurry to put him in school, even though he was bright (was in the gifted program all through school).
I actually thought he would be the oldest, but there were many students in his classes who had birthdays in September, October, and November.
One advantage was he was one of those who got his driver's license before some of his friends.
He did fine in school and graduated from college on time. I would never advise people to put their children in school earlier than what the local requirements are.
What's the rush?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM

114 posts, read 327,847 times
Interestingly, we moved here from Connecticut and almost all of my friends held there Sept, Oct, and Nov children back. It is a very common thing to do in the Northeast...for all the reasons stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville