Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 41,670 times

Advertisements

Our family of 4 (2 children 3 & 8) are planning on relocating to St. Augustine area from Long Island, NY within the next year. I have read that the school districts are good and it is low crime and an affordable area. How is the job market? Do most people who live in St. Augustine work there too? We would like to live near historic area and beaches and will probably buy a small home or townhouse that we can later turn into an investment property for a reasonable price. Can anyone make any recommendations as to what areas to search for property? Zip codes would be helpful to search the MLS...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Happy to help I relocated here six months ago and love it
What is your budget as here are some good town homes on Anastasia Island near an excellent school
Here is a link for schools St. Johns County School District - Home St. Johns County School District - Home

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
The job market in St. Augustine is terrible. What kind of employment would you be seeking? What is your definition of reasonable price for a home? Most of the people I know, live and work in St. Johns County or they are retired from work for pay jobs. People who commute to Jacksonville usually live in the north side of St. Augustine or in the Northern section of St. Johns County.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 13,188 times
Job market there is terrible most commute to Jacksonville. It is a nice place to live and has grown a bit recently these past few years. They have a movie theatre now! yay! It does have a retired person atmosphere so get used to everything closing before dark. =)

Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena763 View Post
Job market there is terrible most commute to Jacksonville. It is a nice place to live and has grown a bit recently these past few years. They have a movie theatre now! yay! It does have a retired person atmosphere so get used to everything closing before dark. =)
Retired person atmosphere...really??? That is disappointing. It boasts to have an excellent schooldistrict so i asumed there are many younger families.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM

"Everything" in St. Augustine does not close down after dark. The merchants in "old city" close 5-6pm Mon - Thurs but on weekends stay open later dependenng on weather and foot traffic. All the restaurants and cultural entertainment venues stay open late. Our national chain merchants in St. Augustine keep regular marchant hours. (9am - 9pm). Our city is a good mix of working families, retired people, snowbird residents and tourists.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Happy to help I relocated here six months ago and love it
What is your budget as here are some good town homes on Anastasia Island near an excellent school
Here is a link for schools St. Johns County School District - Home St. Johns County School District - Home
What areas would get us the most for our money? We have a 300k mortgage in new york and are trying to get away from that!!! I have found some small homes & condos between 65-80k but not sure on the area. We are holding on to our New York home so we won't have a very large down payment. My husband built our extension in our current home so we are not afraid of a bob villa special or newer condo jut to start out. We'd like to buy something for as little as possible and live in it for a year than turn it into an investment home and buy something bigger once we are established with work.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
The job market in St. Augustine is terrible. What kind of employment would you be seeking? What is your definition of reasonable price for a home? Most of the people I know, live and work in St. Johns County or they are retired from work for pay jobs. People who commute to Jacksonville usually live in the north side of St. Augustine or in the Northern section of St. Johns County.
My husband does A/C,mainly new residential installations & maintenance.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM

A/C job openings here are non-existent. There are quite a few companies that were doing very well before housing construction and the economy died. Now they have laid off most of their people and the company owners are stuggling to stay afloat.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella7321 View Post
What areas would get us the most for our money? We have a 300k mortgage in new york and are trying to get away from that!!! I have found some small homes & condos between 65-80k but not sure on the area. We are holding on to our New York home so we won't have a very large down payment. My husband built our extension in our current home so we are not afraid of a bob villa special or newer condo jut to start out. We'd like to buy something for as little as possible and live in it for a year than turn it into an investment home and buy something bigger once we are established with work.
Some condos are available under 100k but really anything half decent in good school area is about $150,000
Let me know the areas you are finding these homes and will tell you as honestly as I can if they are to be bought in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville