Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 9,117 times

Advertisements

We are penciled in to transfer to Mayport in June of 2013. We are currently in Annapolis, Md which I love but are taking this opportunity so that we can be homeowners. The prices for a decent home there is much more affordable for us than what we could get into here.
Also, we lived in St. Marys, GA just over the state line for 10 years. It's been about 8 yrs since we moved from there though.
We felt like we would be heading "home" and were very excited about it. My husband loves FSU college football and is thrilled that he will be close enough to go to the games. My son is a big Jaguar fan and I'm just happy about lots of sunshine, beaches and sweet tea!
And then I got on these forums. My intent was to narrow down some neighborhoods and research schools so that when we make our house hunting trip there this summer and again in the spring of 2013, I will have an idea of where to concentrate our time and energy.
Now though I am getting scared of the crime issue that is being discussed on this forum. I dont want to lay awake at night praying that my older kids will come home alive when they go out to enjoy the night life. I want to be able to walk in shopping areas without being afraid of getting mugged. I don't want to see more thugs than normal citizens.
I am looking at Victoria Lakes, Parque Diane, Dunns Creek, Dunns Crossing, Eagle Hammock and Bartram Springs. I've also been pointed at Durbin Crossing, Aberdeen and Nocatee, but I just can't see myself paying those CDD fees.
I'm impressed by how far our housing dollar will go in areas like victoria lakes. I'm guessing these are new neighborhoods out near Pecan Park? I'm not sure how far that is from the St. John's Town Center. When we moved from GA, that Town Center was brand new. But now for the life of me, I can't remember where it was in relation to pecan park.
Am I searching in a safe area or should we look elsewhere even if it means less house? We don't mind the drive to Mayport as long as we can be in a safe neighborhood with decent schools.
Any help you guys can give me would be so appreciated.
A few details:
4 kids currently ages 8-20.
budget of $250,000 for a home
I'm a professional photographer and would love to be near some scenic areas for my outdoor photo sessions.
I'd love a sidewalk community, but not a "canned" neighborhood if we can avoid it.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times
Sunshine, Beaches & Sweet Tea......I like that.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Home prices have dropped significantly in St. Mary's and the Yullee area. There are a few developments west of I-95 and east in the vicinity of Pecan Park Road.

You are definitely in the drivers seat as far as being a buyer. Some of these developments have fee's and some of them are unfinished (not built out) due to the housing downfall in this area.

It is hard with children renting as you want to get them in school and not move, but I would rent and do a lot of exploring for six months to a year. Some say home prices have not bottomed yet and some say they have. Either way the buyers market and low interest rates should be around for the immediate future.

From Pecan Park area to Saint Johns Town Center you are looking at about 40 minutes. The Wonderwood connector has been built so Mayport is easier to get to from 9A.

Good luck and welcome back

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
Now though I am getting scared of the crime issue that is being discussed on this forum. I dont want to lay awake at night praying that my older kids will come home alive when they go out to enjoy the night life. I want to be able to walk in shopping areas without being afraid of getting mugged. I don't want to see more thugs than normal citizens.

You are giving too much credit to people on interner forums. Half the time, literally, they have no idea what they're talking about. Everyone has an opinion, however flawed.

I'm impressed by how far our housing dollar will go in areas like victoria lakes. I'm guessing these are new neighborhoods out near Pecan Park?

Correct.

I'm not sure how far that is from the St. John's Town Center. When we moved from GA, that Town Center was brand new. But now for the life of me, I can't remember where it was in relation to pecan park.

It's about 30 or so minutes away, on the highway. Since then, the River City Market Place has been built near the airport, much closer to those areas you're looking in. It doesn't have a walkable core like the STJC, but it is a giant outdoor mall with chain restaurants like the SJTC.

Am I searching in a safe area or should we look elsewhere even if it means less house? We don't mind the drive to Mayport as long as we can be in a safe neighborhood with decent schools.

Those areas are fine safety wise. Although ignorant people say "the Northside is unsafe", it's really North of 12th Street and South of Dunn Ave/2-295, and especially the Northwest quadrant of Jacksonville.

Any help you guys can give me would be so appreciated.
A few details:
4 kids currently ages 8-20.
budget of $250,000 for a home
I'm a professional photographer and would love to be near some scenic areas for my outdoor photo sessions.
I'd love a sidewalk community, but not a "canned" neighborhood if we can avoid it.
Thank you!!!

Creativity? Walkable/bikeable neighborhoods? Scenic? Anti-"canned" neighborhoods?

Check out the neighborhoods I listed, in this recent discussion:
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...elocation.html

: ) You're welcome.

I have about a billion links to articles ( local, state, national & international ), maps, projections, business info, realtors who specialize in these unique areas, etc. Let me know if you'd like more info on them. No, i'm not a realtor, they're just a hobby of mine. Also, not sure how long you plan to be in your next home, but if it's longer than 5 years, the trends for new medicore sprawl, like the places you mentioned you're considering, aren't kind.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,117 times
Creativity? Walkable/bikeable neighborhoods? Scenic? Anti-"canned" neighborhoods?

Check out the neighborhoods I listed, in this recent discussion:
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...elocation.html

: ) You're welcome.

I have about a billion links to articles ( local, state, national & international ), maps, projections, business info, realtors who specialize in these unique areas, etc. Let me know if you'd like more info on them. No, i'm not a realtor, they're just a hobby of mine. Also, not sure how long you plan to be in your next home, but if it's longer than 5 years, the trends for new medicore sprawl, like the places you mentioned you're considering, aren't kind.[/quote]

Wow!!! Thank you so much! I was hoping that you would answer as I have read several of your posts on different threads. I absolutely love the neighborhoods you linked. I have been looking hard a springfield and have been to the springfield homepage and have explored a little there. I love the feel of it and the tight knit community. I'm just worried about the surrounding areas and the availability of employment for my teens/young adults. Also the schools that springfield feeds into. Obviously they aren't just populated with the children who live in those awesome restored homes, so it worries me just a bit about what kind of families we'd be sharing the classroom with. Can you speak to those issues? Also how far form mayport is springfield?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
There has been a trend as of late on this board, a few people with virtually no post counts have resurrected threads from the past, most notably those involving crime in Jacksonville. For the most part those on this board with high post counts will give you a pretty accurate picture of Jacksonville. We still have somewhat differing opinions when it comes to the suburbs versus the urban areas though

In the last few years I would say Jacksonville has had a good size drop in crime. That's not to say there is no crime, you just have to research. FSU's info on areas to stay away from are a good starting point.

We have been here going on 23 years and the suburbs still rule here in Jax. Avondale, Riverside and Springfield have made some dramatic advances in the last 15 years. Jacksonville does have tremendous sprawl and it is true since we have been here that certain areas that were hot 23 years ago have now lost their luster.

If at all rent or use Navy Housing if you are military and get out and explore.

Remember this if anything, Florida has been hit hard by the housing bubble. You are in the drivers seat now as a buyer. You will find quite a few builders constructing the same houses in a development cheaper than they were selling them in 2008 at the height of housing insanity. Good Luck

Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Half the time, literally, they have no idea what they're talking about. Everyone has an opinion, however flawed.

Although ignorant people say "the Northside is unsafe...
I may be ignorant, but I know what pompous ass means.

My go to recommendation would be Riverside/Avondale as it has tons of character with all the historic homes and quaint businesses along the St. John's River just south of downtown. Also, in your case particularly, Atlantic Beach is real nice and it's so close to Mayport.
Quote:
I want to be able to walk in shopping areas without being afraid of getting mugged. I don't want to see more thugs than normal citizens.
No worries in these areas.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to find a place you like. You definitely won't have any trouble finding sweet tea, it's everywhere.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 02-24-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
I have been looking hard a springfield and have been to the springfield homepage and have explored a little there. I love the feel of it and the tight knit community.

Good. It's not for everyone, as every area has it's positives & negatives, but it along with the others I listed deserve a look-see.

The SPAR facebook page is a great resource too, to gleam more info: Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

I'm just worried about the surrounding areas and the availability of employment for my teens/young adults.

That's a non-issue. Us "normal" middle-class people don't spend time in the rough neighborhoods near by. There's no reason too. There's rough neighborhoods near Riverside & Avondale historic district and San Marco too, but those residents don't hang out in those either. There's about 10000 businesses with-in a 6 mile radius, so unless they have to walk to work, your kids should be fine. Even if they do have to walk/bike, there's actually quite a few who do that.

Also the schools that springfield feeds into. Obviously they aren't just populated with the children who live in those awesome restored homes, so it worries me just a bit about what kind of families we'd be sharing the classroom with. Can you speak to those issues?

Not really. Most of the middle-class & up families have kids in magnet schools, charter schools, private schools, or have used the school preference tactic. Those that don't simply keep active and engaged in their children's education. Great students come from every single school, the "bad" schools are produced by the bad family environments the students come from. There's all kinds of tricks and eligibility loopholes parents can use when choosing a school for thier child, but i'm not terribly familiar with all those. If you want to keep your children away from other kids that have rough lives, well, don't send them to a public school. Public schools are free, therefore all types of children from all types of families will attend them. If you're worried about your children getting shot at school or involved in a drug gang or something, don't. That being said, while there are decent elementary and middle-school options available, the zoned high-school is awful. But because it's awful, I believe there's some option to send students elsewhere if wanted.

I'm not an expert by any means, and i'd encourage you ask the same question at the forum & website you were exploring. Here's some past similar conversations:

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Kindergarten for a 5 years old- Advise PLEASE
Schools in Springfield (veers off topic a bit, but has lots of good school info)

Also how far form mayport is springfield?

It's just North of Downtown, next to I-95. So the quickest way to Mayport is to take I-95 North to Heckshire Drive/Zoo Parkway. It's about 25 minutes, give or take 5. Heckshere Drive is pretty slow sometimes. You'll find that Mayport isn't as accessible as it should be, unless you live at the beach.

Suggestion: If you're interested in these areas (Riverside & Avondale historic district, Murray Hill, Ortega, Springfield historic district, San Marco) use a realtor that's familair with them. Most are not and couldn't tell you what's what. Here's a few that know what they're doing:

www.intownjacksonville.com
Crissie Cudd (Watson Realty Corp) - Real Estate Agent - Jacksonville, FL
Reggie Fountain (Watson Realty Corp) - Real Estate Agent - Jacksonville, FL
Brian Gabree - Real Estate Agent - Find a REALTOR® - Realtor.com®
Pat Nodurft - Jacksonville Homes - Real Estate - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 11,554 times
The beaches offer everything you're looking for. The neighborhoods are great and wonderful for walking and biking. Plus Mayport is just around the corner.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*raerae*~* View Post
The beaches offer everything you're looking for. The neighborhoods are great and wonderful for walking and biking. Plus Mayport is just around the corner.
I have to concur with *raerae* as the beach communities would be the best for you especially Atlantic Beach, followed by Neptune Beach. But I would also include Gately Oaks in the mix as it is just west of Mayport off of Mt Pleasant/Wonderwood, across the Inter Coastal Waterway in extreme east Arlington(4 miles, 5-10 minutes to the front gate of Mayport NS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville