Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Jacksonville soon. I'd like to be near the beach so I was thinking the Jacksonville/Atlantic/Neptune Beach areas. How are they in terms of safety, amenities, and schools. I would like to start a family there so schools are important. I would like a variety of restaurants nearby and a few clothing stores and electronics stores. I would spend no more than 500,000 on a home because i have searched around and found no need to spend more than that. Now that I know about the houses, I would like some input on those three aspects that can't be learned from a real estate website.

Thank you for any responses in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Jacksonville soon. I'd like to be near the beach so I was thinking the Jacksonville/Atlantic/Neptune Beach areas. How are they in terms of safety, amenities, and schools. I would like to start a family there so schools are important.
The schools are generally good. Jacksonville Beach Elementary is top-notch. It is consistently rated A in our Florida FCAT rating system. There is a MAGNET program in that school as well. One of my neighbors moved his daughter from our neighborhood elementary school (also A rated and a MAGNET) over to Jax Beach because it is an even stronger program. Look into the FCAT scores - it's a good tool to judge the schools by.

Safety is good, but you have to have some caution. People come from all over to hang out at the beach, especially on the weekends. It's a popular nightlife spot, so people drive out there to drink and party. The only other caution I would have is that there are a lot of rentals, so the population can be transient and it can bring some problem people (criminals and sex offenders like the beach too). But overall, it's a nice beach scene.

Amenities are good - you have the ocean, what more do you need ? Anything you find lacking at the beach, you can simply cross the ditch over to Intracoastal West and find whatever you need there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville