Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times

Advertisements

It's an exciting time to live in SPR.

So much going on, new people moving in, restorations, initiatives, etc. The energy is palpable.

Check out this Times Union article from last week A Nod to the Past | jacksonville.com talking about a new home builder setting up shop, and how the community has really taken off.

A Nod to the Past
With charm and character to spare, Springfield's newly constructed homes and existing classics are attracting buyers from near and far.

And this article from today Housing slowdown? Not for this couple betting on Springfield | jacksonville.com about a prominant Jacksonville couple doing awesome things in the neighborhood

Housing slowdown? Not for this couple betting on Springfield
'We're long-term residents and investors in the neighborhood.'

Then there's the new antiques botique that just opened:
Springfield Antiques & Gifts

The 1st ever Jacksonville Food Swap coming up on September 17th, organized an held in SPR, No cash allowed! | Home | HealthSource with details here: Jacksonville Food Swap | mySpringfield | mySpringfield. Sort of a hippie thing, but hippies are cool, right?

Speaking of which, did you know urban agriculture is coming to all of Jacksonville, led by the Springfield Historic District? Well, it is. New zoning and regulations for the entire city. To find out more, come to the forum on October 6th: Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

Speaking of hippies (kind of) x2, the 2011 Chinacat SunFlower Festival was recently held in Kultho Park
http://gallery.myspringfield.org/Eve...031446_rBkHJ8q which was pretty........laid back. : )

and, of course, the biggest annual dog festival in the city - Dog Days in the Park, is just around the corner on September 24th

http://sacarc.org/joomla/images/stories/dogdays/2011/dog%20days%202011%20poster.jpg (broken link)

with about 100 others things to menion too. Literally. So yeah, it's awesome.

Last edited by fsu813; 09-06-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
palpable, nice word.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM

459 posts, read 1,418,269 times
wow... you really need to put $20.00 in an envelope and mail it to me for the thirty seconds i just wasted reading that.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Awesome poster!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Oops. I forgot.

These 3 giant projects are in the works too, just steps, literally, outside the Historic District:

A $35 million dollar new VA clinic to the West: Federal, local officials hail construction of new VA clinic in Jacksonville | jacksonville.com

A large warehouse resnovation (into new offices) to the North: Springfield Warehouse District – 2111 Liberty St. N. (http://sparcouncil.org/2111-liberty-st-n/ - broken link)

and the new project to the South is almost done with Phase 1:

Boxed in by new projects and developments, 24/7. And there's more to come....

This is how progress/revitalization looks.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 PM

And I forgot another cool recent "of note" thing.

The Bohemian Atlas recently released their Jacksonville Travel Guide, which features "bohemian" must see's & do's for visitors of Jacksonville...including three SPR neighborhood venues:
Local Travel Guide to Jacksonville Florida | Bohemian Journal (http://www.bohojournal.com/in-search-of-modern-bohemia-jacksonville-fl-travel-guide - broken link)

The Pearl

http://www.bohojournal.com/wp-content/gallery/jacksonville-fl/jax-pearl.jpg (broken link)

Three Layers Cafe

http://www.bohojournal.com/wp-content/gallery/jacksonville-fl/jax-3layerscoffeehouse.jpg (broken link)

and Shanty Town Pub

http://www.bohojournal.com/wp-content/gallery/jacksonville-fl/jax-shantytown.jpg (broken link)

Not bad, huh?

30 out of the 42 venues featured are in the urban core of Downtown, Riverside & Avondale historic district, San Marco, and Springfield Historic District, btw. The entire rest of Jacksonville - only 12.

30 of 42.

That says a lot.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM

well, the definition of "Bohemian" would lead you to believe that it should have been 42 out of 42 in the urban core.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
well, the definition of "Bohemian" would lead you to believe that it should have been 42 out of 42 in the urban core.
I am trying to figure out just what they mean by "Bohemian". For the life of me I just don't understand how Beach Road Chicken Dinners qualifies as bohemian.

Beach Road Chicken Dinners screams out loud, ''deep south cracker food'', and nothing in that even hints at bohemian to anyone with a working medulla oblongata.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 AM

bohemian usually means someone who doesn't lead a conventional lifestyle. I agree, no idea on the chicken dinners place.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM

82 posts, read 167,394 times
Hey, I'm from NC. My husband, me and 15 year old son are moving to NE Florida. That's all we know right now. I have looked into the southside, How do you feel about this area for teens? How's the family feel of the neighborhoods ? Forgive me please, a little off subject, I realize. Just wanted to ask your input due to knowledge of area presented ? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: