Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,329 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been thinking of moving to FL in a yr maybe. We decided somewhere in the NW. My husband went to Embry Riddle Aviation then worked for NASA in the early 90's. He used to ride his bike to St Augustine. He said it's a beautiful place to retire. Now, he started talking about retiring in 5-7 yrs. We have an 8yr old daughter and looking for a community with a good school is a must for us.

I have been searching the web for some info and came across a community called Nocatee in Ponte Vedra. It sounds like a new and fun community?? Do you agree? We are actually excited about visiting this place soon if we can get some time off work. I'm an ER RN and my husband is in aviation quality.

We've been to Florida several times, last visit was at the Disney World. We love it. My only concern about FL is the weather??? Tornadoes?? We live in AZ and although we have horrible summer but not humid, nor we get hurricanes or tornadoes that I know of since living here for 16+ yrs. How often can Jacksonville or Nocatee get hurricanes or tornadoes?

Also can you recommend a good realtor that knows Nocatee well or it's surrounding neighborhood?

Thanks
Sarj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,585 times
We moved to Nocatee about a year ago and we love it here! Very family oriented, amazing amenities (have you checked out the waterpark!?), and we really like the sense of community we get here. There are several neighborhoods to choose from starting around $200K and going up from there. The schools are some of the best in the county and St Johns is one of the best school districts in the state.

As for the weather - well, it's definitely hot! But, we do get some pretty cold days during the winter. There always seems to be a nice breeze off the water. Not sure about tornadoes - were you thinking hurricanes? Jacksonville's coast is sort of "indented", so historically it's been pretty much spared from hurricanes. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it's definitely not like the Gulf Coast or south FL.

I highly recommend Lisa Menton with Watson Realty. We moved from out of state and househunted on our first visit here, so we really didn't know the area and Lisa was great. She knows A LOT about the St Johns/210/Nocatee area and we felt like she really was "on our side" for the entire building/buying process.

Good luck with your decision! I'll be glad to answer any questions about Nocatee

Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
The last hurricane ( minor) in St Aug was 1964.
Nocatee is a gerat community but no where near finished so be careful which lot you choose. Also in addition to local property taxes there are cdd taxes which together with the hoa fees can make living there procey. Finally in my opinion it is too far from St Aug if that is where you want to be near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville