Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 42,287 times

Advertisements

Couple of questions if I might:

1. What zip codes is Jax's historic district?
2. What kind of area is it in the zip code area? (suitable for 80 yr old elderly lady? No-it's not me).
3. If you chose to live in the historic district, where would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
The true historic districts are:

Avondale & Riverside:

Riverside Avondale Preservation

Springfield:

Welcome to Historic Springfield!

There are also other nice, well-established river neighborhoods that are not technically historic neighborhoods but may have some historic architecture in the neighborhoods and some really nice overall architecture:

San Marco:

San Marco Preservation Society

Ortega:

Near Avondale...no website I'm aware of.

For an 80 year old woman, from ALL of the neighborhoods I listed above, the only ones I would even consider would be Avondale, San Marco & Ortega. My apologies to the other neighborhoods, but I would not move my own grandmother into them.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
I'm biased because I grew up in Avondale...however, I would choose that neighborhood because it's close to doctors offices, St. Vincent's Hospital, 2 libraries, many, many churches, great restaurants, the Cummer Museum, 2 Publix grocery stores and it offers many choices in, basically maintence free, condo living. Also, I think if I were 80 and moved into the hood, I'd be able to meet friends about my age easily....it's a friendly community!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 14,502 times
I live in Springfield close to downtown, it is a family with kids, dual income with pets, preppie urban dweller , very interactive neighborhood, I love it I have 3 kids. I can get ANYWHERE less than 20 min except Orange Park, the Beach or the Fl/Gerogia state line ,those are only 25-30 min. Definitely not a "cookie cutter " neighborhood where nobody know anybody else. We do have some elderly folks living here but they are kind of scattered about, as neighbors its an unwritten rule to check on them and help out. Of course the hospitals are close, but most of the houses here are big, a lot to clean for someone who is about 80- yrs old. Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM

116 posts, read 419,391 times
I live in Ortega and there are tons of older folks here in the neighborhood...TONS. In fact, I feel way too young for the neighborhood. =)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,303 times
Default My 2-cents

I guess it would depend on the history you are looking for. There are so many different areas in Jax with so many personalities... even the historical aspect.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
What about Derkeeville & LaVilla? are they not historic districts?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaaps View Post
Couple of questions if I might:

1. What zip codes is Jax's historic district?
2. What kind of area is it in the zip code area? (suitable for 80 yr old elderly lady? No-it's not me).
3. If you chose to live in the historic district, where would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for any help.
My question???
Why a historic district for your Grandmother? Yes she's old but not historic is she? She probably needs or wants to be in a a place like The Carriage Club or Cypress Village where adequate care can be provided for her lifestyle and she can spend her final years with others in her age bracket, who can relate to her. And not be all alone most of the time, as she would be in a house/apartment by herself. But if I were to recomend a historic place/district for an elderly woman to reside in it would be Avondale.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 09-14-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
My question???
Why a historic district for your Grandmother? Yes she's old but not historic is she? She probably needs or wants to be in a a place like The Carriage Club or Cypress Village where adequate care can be provided for her lifestyle and she can spend her final years with others in her age bracket, who can relate to her. And not be all alone most of the time, as she would be in a house/apartment by herself. But if I were to recomend a historic place/district for an elderly woman to reside in it would be Avondale.

What he said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville