Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:18 PM

112 posts, read 524,458 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My wife and I are moving to the world golf area. Up in NJ she has a little out of the house bakery. We know that up north here in NJ she does well and there are a lot of profession bakeries also. While we were down in the JAX, St. Aug area we really didn’t see any bakeries as we drove around looking at neighborhoods and shopping areas.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Is this something that there just is a lacking of, or is it something that there is no real demand for in the area? I keep seeing that people that move from the philly area say there are no really good cheesesteak places but what about a place to get a killer cake or cookies? [/SIZE]
Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by riveree; 03-01-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: sorry, CD doesn't allow for personal advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times
The only one I'm aware of is Edgewood Bakery over in Riverside. It's killer, and is ALWAYS busy. I know I'd be a regular customer of a bakery if one existed in Mandarin. Until then, Publix has to do.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
As far as standalone bakeries, there are not as many here as you'll find up north.

It's hard to say what the demand would be since people here have gotten along without them for so long, it's not part of their regular consumption.

If you do decide to give it a shot, I would suggest keeping it in a well populated area.....people don't drive far here for these kinds of things, you need to locate it where the people are.

I think she could play up the idea that she is a baker from NJ - that makes it a little more unique here....that's an angle she could market around.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
In the right location, I think one would go over very well. There is a really good cake shop near Emerson on San Jose, called the Cake Shop.

I miss real bakeries and second the call for one in Mandarin- will have to try the one on Edgewood.

Two days ago a friend was looking for a cinnamon babka.....reminded me of Seinfeld!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
I believe there was a small bakery/cafe on Fleming Island in a remote corner of a strip mall. Why it closed may be because no one knew it was there or there wasn't a demand (which I find hard to believe). I don't know, but I think there is a demand; however, it's all about location location location.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,172 times
I know of Colombian, Cuban, and Brazilian Bakeries around Jax. So what type of bakery are you going to open? Hopefully an Italian bakery coming from north Jersey!

I for one am a north Jersey transplant who will demand a mom and pop bakery like yours. And I promote stuff like that by word of mouth every chance I get.

The reason there are few bakeries, no speciality cheese stores, no italian delis, few fancy restaurants, etc. is because Jax is currently going through puberty. It has had a large increase in population over the past 10-15 years and is maturing into a real city. It still has a very small town feel because thats what it was before all the Jerks like you and me came in with our fancy ideas from the northeast and midwest and ruined the "old" south feel of northeast florida. But as more and more people move here from cold climates, they have brought with them a demand for bakeries, etc. And there will be more people coming too.

So, I think it is a good risk...play an active role in the maturation process of Jactionville....that is what I like to see. Let me know where you open up, my mouth is like a free, walking billboard for mom and pop stuff.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM

859 posts, read 3,619,481 times
wasn't there a little French bakery somewhere in southside?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM

49 posts, read 271,595 times
Yup, that was the first thing we noticed when we were transplanted to Jax was no bakeries. I heard the reason is a "water-issue" as to why there aren't many bakeries. When I asked for a hard roll at Publix, they told me all their bread was was baked fresh everyday. The bagels in the groceries stores are spongy not crusty. *Sigh* I miss fresh bread and bakery cookies. The one or two bakeries I have seen, had a terrible selection and again everything tasted bland.

Another wacky thing is when my mother-in-law and I tried to make our own bread, she required caked yeast not the dried granules. I called, looked high and low for weeks all around Jax. Finally a baker at Publix, who was from up north and knew what I was talking about, told me that no one carries caked yeast in the entire area. We'd have to go to Miami to get it. She said all the local grocery stores do not make their own dough, but that distributors from out of state, ship them the dough and Publix, Winn Dixie, etc, just throw it into ovens and bake.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecake View Post
Yup, that was the first thing we noticed when we were transplanted to Jax was no bakeries. I heard the reason is a "water-issue" as to why there aren't many bakeries. When I asked for a hard roll at Publix, they told me all their bread was was baked fresh everyday. The bagels in the groceries stores are spongy not crusty. *Sigh* I miss fresh bread and bakery cookies. The one or two bakeries I have seen, had a terrible selection and again everything tasted bland.

Another wacky thing is when my mother-in-law and I tried to make our own bread, she required caked yeast not the dried granules. I called, looked high and low for weeks all around Jax. Finally a baker at Publix, who was from up north and knew what I was talking about, told me that no one carries caked yeast in the entire area. We'd have to go to Miami to get it. She said all the local grocery stores do not make their own dough, but that distributors from out of state, ship them the dough and Publix, Winn Dixie, etc, just throw it into ovens and bake.
Yeah, what is up with the water? I once had a black and white cookie here that was spongie like you said. I was like what the freak? What is it about the water?

Are you saying the water is why there are no bakeries?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 31,426 times
I doubt you will be able to set up an in-home bakery. I had one when I lived in Maryland and thought about setting one up in Florida, however, it can't be done. When I checked into it, I found out that in Florida, due to their strict regulations by the "food police", the bakery must not be connected to your home, must have a bathroom, and a place for customers seperate from the kitchen, a stand alone drain, etc. You also need permits and such.
Even bake sales (such as to benefit schools, etc) with homemade food are illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville