Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting comments about the 55+ communities. FWIW my parents bought a home in one of those and didn't mind moving into a neighborhood where many of the people were in their 80s. They were just happy to be in a neighborhood without a lot of kids. They eventually sold the place to move into assisted living, and had no particular difficulty selling the place. But, this wasn't in Florida--it's possible that in Florida things are different.
What year are you talking about? Pre or post real estate bust? The bust has hit Florida (and other places) pretty hard. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
According to some random realtor's unsolicited advertisement del Webb is the fastest growing community in Nocatee. Wasn't even close according to their numbers. Again... random, unsolicited... grain of salt.
That's like talking about the winner in a turtle race . FWIW - Nocatee had a total of 315 sales in all of 2011. Robyn

Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I guess the healthcare issue comes up if you're with a company that doesn't cover Florida and so have to find a new insurance company? I'm lucky in that regard, I guess--I'm with a company that's also in FL. I suppose I might get a premium adjustment but I don't really think it would be that different from the premium we pay in VA. I guess I can call, just to make sure.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What year are you talking about? Pre or post real estate bust? The bust has hit Florida (and other places) pretty hard. Robyn
They bought in 1988 and sold in 2009.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I guess the healthcare issue comes up if you're with a company that doesn't cover Florida and so have to find a new insurance company? I'm lucky in that regard, I guess--I'm with a company that's also in FL. I suppose I might get a premium adjustment but I don't really think it would be that different from the premium we pay in VA. I guess I can call, just to make sure.
The company might not be the same company. E.g., there's a Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida. Also - there may be different types of plans/plans in different states. As well as different premiums. Best to give your company a call and find out what the story is. Robyn

Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 32,858 times
Thank you all for your input. It has been a while since I have been back here, and I do not know how to set an alert (LOL at myself) to know when someone has responded. Now that it looks like we (fingers crossed) have a buyer for our home we are anxious to get to Florida to make a decision on where. The Del Webb at Nocatee is on our list, and we are going to look in the Tampa area as well. Originally we were considering WPB too, but recently spoke with a HS friend who said that what happened in Miami years ago is now going on in WPB, and she did not recommend going there. Naples / Sarasota area looks nice, but I think it is more transient then we would like as Florida will be our primary home. DW Sweetwater does not look like it is for us on paper, but if there is time we will go by there as well. Robyn, I have been to Toojays years ago in the Villages, and it is not a "true" deli, which we will certainly miss! We have BC/BS in NJ, and it is my understanding that we might be able to keep them in Florida; but regardless, I would think that we will find health insurance from some company. Both DH & myself have heart issues, so we will need to make sure that we have decent insurance. Part of my originally considering the JAX area was due to Mayo. We have been spoiled with the amazing medical care in NJ & NY. I want to thank you all for the information that I have learned about; the bonds in particular that some communities make you pay for. All in all, I still have the area included in my search, and now I am under the gun to find where we will be. Oldest child is getting married end of June, so we have much on our plate to get done in a very little amount of time (buyers want to be in home in mid June to enjoy the Jersey shore)! Thanks again all!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM

What do you mean when you say what happened in Miami is now going on in WPB? Miami is basically the capital of central and south America in the US. WPB is the capital of old retired people from the NE. They don't bear any resemblance to each other at all IMO. Note that I lived in Miami for 20+ years - but - as my husband and I got older - the traffic started to get to us (ditto with most of the traffic WPB and south).

We actually drove through Nocatee a few weeks ago on our way back from the WGV - just to see what's there. IMO - it is still the middle of nowhere - and I couldn't see myself living there unless I knew I'd be there for a lot of decades.

I do not like the west coast of Florida (never have - just my personal opinion).

Good luck getting decent health insurance here in Florida at a reasonable price if both you and your husband have pre-existing heart conditions. No way IMO - until you are ready for Medicare.

Considering that you are all over the map of in terms of places you're looking at in Florida - I seriously suggest renting first - not buying. Robyn

Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 32,858 times
From what I have been told, the crime rate has become a bad problem in WPB, much like Miami. Do you think that was exaggerated? With regard to health insurance, I was under the impression that preexisting conditions were no longer legal to discriminate against...? Do you know if, for example, certain organizations have group insurance if you are a member? Years ago "like minded" businesses and/or organizations were able to form groups in order to get health insurance. Maybe that no longer exists, I will have to check that out.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
The portion of the new healthcare law regarding pre-existing conditions does not take effect until 2014.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
WPB crime stats have improved dramatically in the last 4 years. Like anywhere else, there are certain areas there of high crime but overall it is not a dangerous place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville