Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for anyone today beyond the age of puberty to not have a pre-existing condition of some kind? Hmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
The portion of the new healthcare law regarding pre-existing conditions does not take effect until 2014.
There is actually an interim program now in effect (until 2014):

PCIP - Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan - Home

Florida has opted out of running the program at the state level - so the federal government is managing applicants from Florida. The premiums aren't that cheap. And - more importantly - you don't qualify for the plan unless you've been uninsured for at least 6 months (even if you're currently insured by a state high risk pool ). Robyn

Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cece1955 View Post
From what I have been told, the crime rate has become a bad problem in WPB, much like Miami. Do you think that was exaggerated? With regard to health insurance, I was under the impression that preexisting conditions were no longer legal to discriminate against...? Do you know if, for example, certain organizations have group insurance if you are a member? Years ago "like minded" businesses and/or organizations were able to form groups in order to get health insurance. Maybe that no longer exists, I will have to check that out.
There are good and bad areas in terms of crime in all parts of Florida. So I don't think you can paint any relatively large geographical area with a broad brush. The one thing I can tell you for sure about WPB is you'll pay a lot more for any health insurance you can find there than any health insurance you can find here. FWIW - that applies even when you go on Medicare (Medigap policies cost about 40% more in south Florida than they do here).

I think your questions about Obamacare were answered in other messages. There are many groups that offer insurance. Like the Florida Bar (I'm a member of the Florida Bar). But most are subject to underwriting (although - occasionally - some will have open enrollment periods with no underwriting). Robyn

Old 05-06-2012, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 32,858 times
Thank you all for the responses once again! My DH and I are going to travel throughout Florida for a little under two weeks to see if something feels right to us. I spoke with someone at the Del Webb community in town of Nocatee (Ponte Vedra, or whatever it is properly called) today. I must admit I had an odd feeling after the conversation but we are still including it on our search. What I was told from Del Webb was that they are not building any new homes until the ones they have are sold.... I think the salesperson said they had 7 or 8 homes ready for now. I said that we would be taking delivery in mid July, and the comment was that if I was interested with what they had I would have to purchase immediately that they would not "hold" the home...so no new construction and what is there would probably not be there? I have real mixed feelings. I was not aware of preexisting not coming into play till 2014, so that was not such great news either, lol! We do have existing insurance so hopefully we will figure it out, but we are covered in the mean time. I will update my experience after the trip! Thank you all again.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
. What I was told from Del Webb was that they are not building any new homes until the ones they have are sold.... I think the salesperson said they had 7 or 8 homes ready for now. I said that we would be taking delivery in mid July, and the comment was that if I was interested with what they had I would have to purchase immediately that they would not "hold" the home...so no new construction and what is there would probably not be there?
Sounds a lot like a pressure sales tactic to make you commit if your wanting to think the purchase over.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM

10 posts, read 32,858 times
If that was the intent it backfired. I am now questioning the viability of the community and whether or not they are having problems. Funny, I never thought of that as possibly being a high pressure sales tactic. If that is what it is, the salesperson is not someone that I will be working with. He is messing with the wrong woman, lol!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
If that was the intent it backfired. I am now questioning the viability of the community and whether or not they are having problems. Funny, I never thought of that as possibly being a high pressure sales tactic. If that is what it is, the salesperson is not someone that I will be working with. He is messing with the wrong woman, lol!
Got some bad news for you ... No matter what you think, the community is viable whether you move there or not. And while the tactics failed with you they will work on others.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
Cece: I have no reason to believe that Del Webb's community is having any troubles at all. It's a great development. I have not heard anyone complain about the salespeople up there being high pressure. The salesperson was probably telling you what he believes to be the truth which is if you want your pick of the plans currently built for a July move-in, you will need to commit soon. My thought process in making these kinds of decisions has always been that if it is meant to be, it will still be there when I am ready to make a move. I hope you enjoy your 2 weeks of looking around and find peace with whatever decision you arrive at.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Cece: I have no reason to believe that Del Webb's community is having any troubles at all. It's a great development. I have not heard anyone complain about the salespeople up there being high pressure. The salesperson was probably telling you what he believes to be the truth which is if you want your pick of the plans currently built for a July move-in, you will need to commit soon. My thought process in making these kinds of decisions has always been that if it is meant to be, it will still be there when I am ready to make a move. I hope you enjoy your 2 weeks of looking around and find peace with whatever decision you arrive at.
That was my impression, too. There were a lot of things I liked in St. Augustine, and this community was one of them.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM

219 posts, read 510,329 times
It seems construction has accelerated in Nocatee. A slew of new houses have gone up and/or started in the past few months and most of the open lots left on our street now have names (future home of 'XYZ'). Supposedly Del Webb is the fastest growing community in Nocatee. Most of these communities are built in stages. You may be falling in to the time period in which the current stage is almost sold out and the next stage isn't ready yet in which it may be entirely accurate to say that they have limited numbers of homes available for July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville