Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 AM

203 posts, read 597,237 times

Advertisements

I was in Jax Beach today and I was wondering where everyone parks their car when they want to go to the beach. Did I miss something? It seemed like there were few places to park. Is this a big problem in the summertime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
I was in Jax Beach today and I was wondering where everyone parks their car when they want to go to the beach. Did I miss something? It seemed like there were few places to park. Is this a big problem in the summertime?
Yes it is, and even worse during special events or holidays.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
On a related question, which (if any) beaches are free if you walk to them? I like to walk to a beach very early in the morning to do Tai Chi while the sunrises. Which beaches would be good for this? It doesn't have to be a big beach--you can do Tai Chi in less than 20 feet of space--just a bit of sand in front of water.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
On a related question, which (if any) beaches are free if you walk to them? I like to walk to a beach very early in the morning to do Tai Chi while the sunrises. Which beaches would be good for this? It doesn't have to be a big beach--you can do Tai Chi in less than 20 feet of space--just a bit of sand in front of water.
I assume your asking about St Augustine beaches. My answer would be...All of them are free to walk to and on, except for the state park as far as I know.

My favorite beach for sunrises is Vilanolano Beach just north of St Augustine, as it seems very secluded. (to me) Plus there's parking right there next to
the Reef restaurant; http://www.thereefstaugustine.com/

The Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
4100 Coastal Highway
St. Augustine, FL 32084

Coastal Highway is A-1-A north between Vilano and Ponte Vedra.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM

203 posts, read 597,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Yes it is, and even worse during special events or holidays.
Yea, but it seemed like it was something you couldn't even do unless you parked in a business parking lot which i'm sure any business wouldn't appreciate. Aren't there any parking lots for beach goers? I lived in south Florida where the population is very dense and there's still plenty of beach parking. Same for the St. Petes area. South of Jax is wonderful for parking (at least in October) but i'm sure the areas residents don't run south everytime they want to go to the beach. What do you guys do for parking near the beach areas? Is Atlantic or Neptune beach any better?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Actually no! Atlantic and Neptune beach have even less parking than Jax beach does. There are some parking lots in Jax beach near Beach Blvd and 1st street and on several of the streets that dead end into the sand on the beach where the walkways are located. Seems like theres more parking to the south of the pier than to the north of Beach Blvd. But I dont go to the beach at Jax Beach I prefer to go down to Anastasia Island where you can still drive on the sand and park. I really like the area by Matanzas Inlet near the bridge where the surf is kickin and the fishing is fun.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I assume your asking about St Augustine beaches. My answer would be...All of them are free to walk to and on, except for the state park as far as I know.

My favorite beach for sunrises is Vilanolano Beach just north of St Augustine, as it seems very secluded. (to me) Plus there's parking right there next to
the Reef restaurant; The Reef Restaurant oceanfront dining - st. augustine - vilano beach - ponte vedra

The Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
4100 Coastal Highway
St. Augustine, FL 32084

Coastal Highway is A-1-A north between Vilano and Ponte Vedra.
Thanks so much. Yes, my questions are all about St. Augustine--I should have said so but thanks for realizing what I wanted to know.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
All St. Augustine area beaches are free to walk or bike upon. You can get an annual pass if you want to park on the beach. It is $35 per year. Otherwise, you can park on the street or in public parking lots in St. Augustine Beach which are free.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 AM

870 posts, read 2,180,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
Yea, but it seemed like it was something you couldn't even do unless you parked in a business parking lot which i'm sure any business wouldn't appreciate. Aren't there any parking lots for beach goers? I lived in south Florida where the population is very dense and there's still plenty of beach parking. Same for the St. Petes area. South of Jax is wonderful for parking (at least in October) but i'm sure the areas residents don't run south everytime they want to go to the beach. What do you guys do for parking near the beach areas? Is Atlantic or Neptune beach any better?
Many of the little streets (that run perpendicular to 1st Street) have small parking areas right next to the beach. They hold 10-20 cars. That's where I park when I go to Jax Beach. But, I get there before 8:00am, so there are plenty of spots available. If you arrive after 10:00am, you might have trouble finding a parking place.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
All St. Augustine area beaches are free to walk or bike upon. You can get an annual pass if you want to park on the beach. It is $35 per year. Otherwise, you can park on the street or in public parking lots in St. Augustine Beach which are free.
Ahhh, that explains a lot. I was wondering why there weren't more cars parked on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville