Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 AM

5 posts, read 18,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Good question. But I would rather be educated to save money than be pressured to save money. The problem with Direct Buy is they depend on the captive consumer. They are afraid that if you have too much time to think or do a little arithmetic you just might turn away. It's the same old modus operandi that time-share sales people use.

At the end of the day the Direct Buy offer could very well be a good deal. I just don't like the emotional cost that I have to pay with all the mind games that they play.

The best way for you to be educated is to go and check it out. Then you can see for your own eyes. This way you can judge for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonegunman View Post
The best way for you to be educated is to go and check it out. Then you can see for your own eyes. This way you can judge for yourself.
I did. And I got an education - to stay away from Direct Buy and all their mind games and pressure tactics.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
I read many of the links and articles one thing that wasn't mentioned is the charge a 6% fee along with shipping and handling.
Also the reason you may see the different opinions is most location are franchised
Here are the franchise fees I found

How much does it cost to open a DirectBuy franchise?

Total Investment: $147,000-$259,000
Initial Franchise Fee: $30,000-$55,000
Royalty Fee: 22%
Advertising Fee:
Term of Agreement: 12 years

it also mentioned that "members" get discounts and incentives for signing up friends.

I also noticed that many times folks have said "you have to order from the catalogs because they are unable to stock samples of everything". I know I am the type of person that if I am going to be spending a decent amount of money on something I want to be ale to see it in person.

I guess I am to much of a "negotiator" I have rarely paid retail on high end purchases. So why would I pay someone else over $4k to have the fun.

As many of the articles state "do your research" make sure of the return & cancellation policies to see if this would be right for you.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,609 times
During our sales presentation in Jacksonville, we were told that delivery and installation of appliances was a member benefit only to sign up and find out that they don't offer free installation. Now they will not honor their sales presentation or refund our money. I spoke with manager Todd Yarborough. The best they would offer, after my husband attempted to speak with them, was $100 total. To put that in perspective, their installation cost on a single appliance is $150, and we plan on ordering a house full.

I have contacted the BBB, the state attorney general, and division of consumer affairs. We would have been happy with DirectBuy because as new homeowners, we have a lot of projects to take on. We are now distrustful of their business practices, and would never recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I am sorry that this happened to you. I have heard this so many times about them........................

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB71 View Post
During our sales presentation in Jacksonville, we were told that delivery and installation of appliances was a member benefit only to sign up and find out that they don't offer free installation. Now they will not honor their sales presentation or refund our money. I spoke with manager Todd Yarborough. The best they would offer, after my husband attempted to speak with them, was $100 total. To put that in perspective, their installation cost on a single appliance is $150, and we plan on ordering a house full.

I have contacted the BBB, the state attorney general, and division of consumer affairs. We would have been happy with DirectBuy because as new homeowners, we have a lot of projects to take on. We are now distrustful of their business practices, and would never recommend them to anyone.
Since my last post, our issue has been resolved.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Issue Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB71 View Post
Since my last post, our issue has been resolved.
We raised our concerns to the attention of the franchise management. They were responsive and worked with us to reach a mutually agreeable resolution that we were pleased with.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
I often wonder why on earth people would get hooked on Direct Buy after all the negative stories.
I guess the sales pressure is too much for some people like buying a time share and then realizing later that you bought a time share.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
Direct Buy's business model is something of a ponzi scheme.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times
Anytime you hear this in a sales pitch "this offer is only good today"...RUN!...do not walk to the nearest exit.Do not pass go, do not collect $200, because you will no doubt save yourself thousands of $$$ and self recriminations later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville