Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM

31 posts, read 102,011 times

Advertisements

Wondering if people might chime in with some of their thoughts on living in these areas. Looking for ease of getting to airports, access to downtown St. Augustine (obviously not talking about from Anastasia Islnd.), healthcare, general everyday shopping necessities, etc. Also, does either community offer a better chance to meet people if you are new to the area?
Also, differences in property taxes, home insurance, etc. Not looking for specifics, just is it much more on Anastasia than either Nocatee or WGV?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Great thread! I'm looking forward to reading the replies.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM

219 posts, read 510,113 times
I think you'll probably find as many opinions as there are people on this forum however we chose Nocatee because of its location.

Personally, I love St Augustine. The downtown is a blast, the beaches and marinas are great, it's just an all-round good time. It's just too darn far from everything for us. St Augustine has a small regional airport but nothing you'd likely fly out of. It's a long trek to Jacksonville Intl, down town Jax, and major shopping. If work/airport/shopping travel wasn't an issue, I'd probably like to live down on Anastasia Island, you're right on the water and stone's throw from old town, but it's just not for us.

To me WGV just seems like a bad location. It's pretty far outside of both Jacksonville and St Augustine. You either have to go north to 210 or south to 16 to get to the beach. Not real close to the river or a usable part of the intercoastal. It doesn't 'feel' much different than Cimarone, St Johns Golf, etc with the exception of the museum area. If you were really in to golf then I can see the appeal but past that, I don't understand it. I feel the same way about Palencia; beautiful homes, looks like a nice community, but why did they put it *there*.

We liked Nocatee because everything is readily accessible. In 15 to 30 minutes we can be on the beach, downtown Jax, downtown St Augustine, St Johns Town Center, my wife's work, you name it. Jax airport is a stretch at 45 min. They certainly seem to try to foster community relationships with a fairly full calendar of events. Publix has everyday shopping covered and there is a Target and a mall within 15 minutes or so. Baptist Medical South looks like the closest large hospital at about 10 minutes to our doorstep. I can't really speak to the costs vs the other communities. Property Tax seemed to be in line with similar homes in the STL area, as was homeowners insurance which was a shock since we heard horror stories. I'm sure others will fill you in on the advantages and disadvantages of living in a CDD community.

We've only been here four months so, please, take my opinion with a requisite amount of caution however we're quite happy with Nocatee so far.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,435 times
WGV tends to be for older people and retirees. AI for people who want to be near the beach and the town, Nocatee more a younger family place. Each have there own plus and minuses but the biggest one I see is CDD in WGV and Nocatee
Really all depends how much you want to be near St Augustine

Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munster1234 View Post
Wondering if people might chime in with some of their thoughts on living in these areas.
Thanks
Keep in mind that the opinions you are reading in this thread are from people who are giving you the positives of where they live (or connected to) and throwing mud at everywhere else. That is the way it works on this forum of opinions. The Nocatee people will tell you that everywhere else the houses are built of straw, the Anastasia people will tell you that everywhere else is too far from the beaches and SA, and the WGV people will tell you that the other two are too expensive. No one is interested in telling you only about their thoughts in living in their own areas. And as far I am concerned, I don't live in either one so I'll keep quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville