Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times

Advertisements

Saturday, we are having a big opening day festival for the soccer teams at Veterans Park followed by family fun day at Julington Creek Elem. I'll be too beat for any nightlife though. Some tequila then bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Mandarin has more bars/lounges. And plenty of live music venues, comedy clubs, monthly neighborhood parties, sports competitions. Not sure about frequent festivals, though I am sure there are some. And Mandarin has a river also and a library with events. Plus its just a 15 minuter drive downtown to do MOCA and the sports complexes, arena, main library events, Art Walk, a bunch of popular bars/clubs, the River, every kind of concerts and celebration you could think of.

What does Mandarin have that Springfield doesn't ... large lawns and lot's of trees.
And then there's this flawed opinion. Good luck with that.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Don't know about any "flaw" in madcap's reply, except for the entertainment perhaps and we've got the SJTC which is fun for lots of folks......the younger crowd that is. As for us, we are not the "downtown" type, so the Baymeadows/Mandarin area is fine with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM

SJTC is not in Mandarin. Nor does it take only 15 minutes to reach DT, among other misrepresentations.

Mandarin is a quiet bedroom community, very suburban, very family friendly. That's what it is, which is fine for those who enjoy that.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
SJTC is not in Mandarin. Nor does it take only 15 minutes to reach DT, among other misrepresentations.

Mandarin is a quiet bedroom community, very suburban, very family friendly. That's what it is, which is fine for those who enjoy that.

It's true it takes more than 15 minutes to ride your Schwinn downtown from Mandarin than it does a sane person driving a car.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The only flawed opinion on this whole thread is your continual dismissing of anyplace not downtown or urban as being totally uninhabitable. Thats very myopic and intellectually limited.

Freeman Cooper the OP only asked about Mandarin, never mentioned the urban area's of Jax or even downtown. Yet you in your vehemently anti-suburban way bumped her thread by inserting your blatantly fatuous views, basically saying that Mandarin was a sleepy little pit stop on the way to effulgent downtown Jacksonville.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 03-08-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
Quote:
...Nor does it take only 15 minutes to reach DT, ...
Using Google Maps for the calculation, from I-95/Old St Augustine Rd to the Main Street Bridge, Exit to Exit, is 15 minutes. Of course, you'd have to add ~5 minutes at the end of each point in the directions to account for your start and end locations.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
The only flawed opinion on this whole thread is your continual dismissing of anyplace not downtown or urban as being totally uninhabitable. Thats very myopic and intellectually limited.
That's plainly and obviously incorrect.

I advocate for Ortega, Murray Hill, the Beaches, Avondale - last time I checked none of these are urban nor Downtown.

Also, just a few posts above this one, I stated:

Please try and be accurate.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That's plainly and obviously incorrect.

I advocate for Ortega, Murray Hill, the Beaches, Avondale - last time I checked none of these are urban nor Downtown.

Also, just a few posts above this one, I stated:

Please try and be accurate.
Avondale is urban thats why its called the historic Riverside/Avondale area. Murry Hill is basically urban also, as it adjoins Riverside/Avondale. The Beaches are their own urban area as they are their own separate entity/town not part of the consolidated city of Jacksonville. I don't ever remember you advocating for Ortega(jsimms3 yes, you not really) but am not pressing the point as I agree its not urban.

''Mandarin is a quiet bedroom community, very suburban, very family friendly. That's what it is, which is fine for those who enjoy that.''
Could you possibly be any more denigrating?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
I can get downtown in 25 from Julington Creek. 20 to San Marco where we spend a Sat. night from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville