Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 30,837 times

Advertisements

I've come across this forum recently and found it to be very informative, helpful and fun to read. I got through most of the topics related to the thread question...but still need some help...

I am in mid 30's, single, will be moving to JAX this summer for a job at Shands hospital. And, like most ppl not familiar with the area, having hard time to decide where to live...
I am kinda outdoorsy person...good gym, park, recreational activities(jogging, biking, ect) are important. Preferably in safe area
I do like places where ones can walk, sit at the nice coffee shop...and, actually, see people on the street
Nightlife and social scene...Mmmm...Being singe...Well past my college years, but do like live music, sit with the glass of cold Chardonnay somewhere outside and have a meaningful conversation, preferably outside ESPN news area of interest...
Can tolerate 30-40 min commute for those perks.
Looking to rent(2-2.5k/month a max) in the beginning, look around areas, and buy in a year or so.
Any advices? To be, or where to be (c) ?
Any good realtors in those areas?
Thanks for help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
To be close to Shands look at Riverside first, San Marco next and the Beaches last.

All three areas are great for outdoors activities with the Beaches getting a Plus vote because of the beaches. Both Riverside and San Marco have great city parks but the Beaches have miles of beaches.

Riverside probably has the best Gym it's called the Riverside YMCA.

All three areas also have plenty of places where one can walk and sit at outdoor cafés and enjoy people watching. The Beaches probably have more live music venues than either of the other two.

Commute from Riverside to Shands, no more than 10 minutes. From San Marco to Shands, no more than 15 minutes. From Jax Beach to Shands, not less than 30 minutes. (usually a little more)

You will have no problem finding a 2-2 to rent in price range listed.(2-2.5K)

If it was up to me with what you listed, I would choose he Beaches. But probably Atlantic Beach over Jax Beach.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM

705 posts, read 1,574,570 times
First of all, with that budget and being single, you should be able to find a really nice place wherever you end up. Secondly, I would say you hit it on the head with those 3. Out of curiosity, have you been to Jacksonville before? What area are you coming from?

San Marco is close to your work, nice, fairly safe, no grocery store, and a little upper crusty.

Riverside is just across the river, nice, fairly safe, younger, has a great boardwalk (along the river through downtown and out to the stadium) and less upper crusty. Also, Riverside may have more restaurants, pubs, etc. and has a nice grocery store.

Atlantic Beach is nice, fairly safe, further from your work, but has the beach and that whole vibe, lots of businesses, restaurants and clubs. Just depends on what you prefer.

In any case, you're probably going to want to visit before you rent to get a feel for the area. We drove here in a U-haul and stayed in a hotel for a few nights while we looked for a place. Is that possible or do you need to nail something down before you come?

Personally, if it were me, it would be a hard choice between Riverside and Atlantic Beach. Probably come down to the specific units available and the size, price, view, amenities, etc. You really can't go wrong with either one.

On a side note. If you weren't aware, the area around Shands is not the best neighborhood. Be careful around there.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM

madcapmagishion, thanks for info!
I am guessing that in 6am there shouldn't much of traffic getting to work from Atlantic? 30-40min? Am I right?
Are there any areas of Atlantic Beach to avoid?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
First of all, with that budget and being single, you should be able to find a really nice place wherever you end up. Secondly, I would say you hit it on the head with those 3. Out of curiosity, have you been to Jacksonville before? What area are you coming from?
I am coming from Midwest...STL, KC areas..Spent last 10 years over there, and really tired of people whose interests only to grill steaks on backyard, drink crappy beer and talk about football, new guns and deer-hunting. STL has some nice areas, true, but overall mentality can not be corrected with any level of education
Was at JAX only for a day during job interview. Was impressedby downtown, where teens were smoking pot on the streets in front of police car during daylight...trashy area...

Quote:
Is that possible or do you need to nail something down before you come?
I will have just a day, max two, to visit and nail the place...Looked on trulia, and thinking about getting realtor prior to visit, to check out as much places as possible..

Quote:
On a side note. If you weren't aware, the area around Shands is not the best neighborhood. Be careful around there.
Unfortunately, like most hospitals in big urban areas in States...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
From 3rd Street and Atlantic Blvd (main intersection in Atlantic Beach) to Shands is about 15 miles and at 6AM should easily take no more than 30-40 minutes.(even if you get caught by all the lights)

Personally I would avoid the area around the Mayport Naval Station and an area called Royal Palms and most of the area within 1/2 mile of Mayport Rd from Atlantic Blvd north to the Navy base.

Quote:
On a side note. If you weren't aware, the area around Shands is not the best neighborhood. Be careful around there
Quote:
Shands is in nothing like the area Barnes Hospital in St Louis is in, it is way more like the area that Touchettes Hospital in East St Louis is in. (I was stationed in St Louis for awhile and lived in Creve Couer)

Anything else feel free to ask!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 AM

705 posts, read 1,574,570 times
[quote=Globulin;23969317]
Quote:
I am coming from Midwest...STL, KC areas..Spent last 10 years over there, and really tired of people whose interests only to grill steaks on backyard, drink crappy beer and talk about football, new guns and deer-hunting. STL has some nice areas, true, but overall mentality can not be corrected with any level of education
Was at JAX only for a day during job interview. Was impressedby downtown, where teens were smoking pot on the streets in front of police car during daylight...trashy area...
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but the mentality around JAX, arguably, is more South Georgia than South Florida. There are tons of guys (and gals) that live to hunt deer, wild hogs, turkeys, etc. and talk college football and NASCAR around here. I know, I work with quite a few of them. Coming from Cali, it was a BIG culture shock for me. After 2 years working where I am, I'm pretty used to it. I actually lived in KC for a year and a half and St. Louis for 6 mo.s and I think there are more red necks here. I work in a blue collar job though, hopefully, working in a hospital, it won't be as bad for you. Just a heads up.

Quote:
I will have just a day, max two, to visit and nail the place...Looked on trulia, and thinking about getting realtor prior to visit, to check out as much places as possible..
Ouch!! That's not much time, but it can be done. That's pretty much what we did. We looked here before we left and while at the hotel after we got here to line up some prospects and get specific info:

jacksonville apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Quote:
True, but there are others here in much better neighborhoods in JAX ; Mayo Clinic, Baptist Medical Center, Baptist Medical Center Beaches and St. Vincents.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Globulin,

I'd also look in the Springfield historic district as well, which is just Southwest of Shands Hospital by 1/2 a mile:

www.myspringfield.org

&

Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

Lots of Shands employees live in the neighborhood. Many visit too, for things like Three Layers, Uptown Market, Wafaa & Mikes, & Sweet Pete's. Scrubs are a common site there.

ThreeLayers Cafe - Historic Springfield - Jacksonville, Florida
Uptown Market Jacksonville - Breakfast, Lunch, Market & Deli - Historic Springfield
Wafaa & Mike's Cafe - Middle Eastern Food | Wraps | Hot and Cold Subs | Platters | Salads | Shawarma | Kibbi | Falafel | Taboleh | Gyro | Kabab
Gourmet Gluten Free Easter Chocolates, Gluten Free Caramel, and All Natural Gluten Free Vegan Sweets

I've seen Shands employees get off work and play this still in uiform too: New disc golf course in Springfield makes growing sport accessible to nearly everyone | jacksonville.com

It's a lot like Riverside in lifetsyle (walkable/bikeable, free spirts, lots of parks, museum, culture, festivals, progressive, eclectic, etc), but not nearly as many commerical options. Downtown and all it's amenties, however, are only a mile or so away. So it kinda evens out.

In general, you have the right places in the mind: the more historic areas surronding Downtown (Riverside & Avondale historic district, Springfield historic district, and San Marco, as well as parts of the Beaches - Atlantic/Neptune) are definitely not the stereotypical redneckish/boring suburban areas of town. A lot more going on than drinking crappy beer at a bbq. : )

www.riverside-avondale.com
www.myspringfield.org
www.mysanmarco.com
www.downtownjacksonville.org
The Atlantic Beach Official Website!
Welcome to the City of Neptune Beach, Florida

As for social scene and the activities you mentioned, these are the best fits again: very walkable/bikeable/joggable, coffee shops, cafes, live music, thoughtful conversations, etc. The Beaches do tend to skew towards the college crowd as far as social scences though, while the areas surrinding Downtown skew towards young professional types, generally speaking.

I can get into much more specifics if you like (ie, where exactly do people go jogging? What gyms are in these areas? Travel times? Etc), just ask.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM

278 posts, read 664,504 times
[quote=Globulin;23969317]
Quote:
I don't want to rain on your parade but I think you could very easily replace STL and KC with JAX in that sentence and be right on the money.

I'd recommend Riverside. Springfield has some decent areas but nowhere near as much going on as Riverside. Atlantic Beach is okay but the beach is so far out from the rest of the city (I lived out there for a year and moved closer to the center of town... Soooo much driving). Riverside is almost like being in a different town compared to the rest of Jax. Far more dense and walkable (with actual things to walk to).

San Marco is a nice area, but aside from the "square" there's not much of a vibe over there (it's kind of, I dunno, yuppie central). Plus there's no grocery store convenient to the area which means a good 10 to 15 minutes of driving just to pick up a few things.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Globulin,

I'd also look in the Springfield historic district as well, which is just Southwest of Shands Hospital by 1/2 a mile:

www.myspringfield.org

&

Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
Southeast, rather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville