Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 10,850 times

Advertisements

I live in Jacksonville, Fl. and will be retiring in 2013. I have worked 20 years for the NYC Department of Corrections before coming to Florida. For the past 12 years I have been the Security Supervisor at a local hospital. Now it's my time. My wife and I have visited Palm Coast and love the laid back feel. We will most likely rent for the first year maybe a condo on or near the beach. We have seen a lot of property's for sale and others that are in foreclosure.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Go for it, evidently your the right age for Palm Coast. It was originally conceived as a retirement community.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
You say " now is my time". What kinds of activities do you want to participate in and how active do you want to be, in your retirement? Palm Coast is a very spread out kind of place (in square miles). I suggest that you live in a neighborhood close to the activities you enjoy such as fishing, golf, church, the beach, etc. You mention perhaps living near the beach. Be sure to check out the various Palm Coast beach areas in person at low and high tides. If you like to go into the ocean water, as well as sit and stare at it, be aware that there are a lot of submerged rocks in the ocean along most of the palm Coast Beaches that can be very dangerous.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Thank You!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Where is the beach access in Palm Coast? Hammock Dunes is a gated community with beach access but you can't get in.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
Here are the links to the Flagler County Parks map and detailed descriptions of each park. There is also beach access at Flagler Beach but parking is limited there and the beach shrinks at high tide.
http://www.flaglercounty.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=869
http://www.flaglercounty.org/Facilities.aspx?page=list&search=1&CID=1

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 39,947 times
Default Palm Coast is not the best choice

Having spent time in the Palm Coast, I would not recommend settling there. As a planned master community, homeowners are held captive to the decisions of the Board of Directors and the HOA if your subdivision has one. The town may promote itself as a retirement haven but I found that the seniors who are stuck there due to the real estate market are taking the hit of decreased home values, higher taxes and less services. I left after a year when I could no longer take the environment due to the lack of vision for long term growth. Building higher density housing seems to be their plan. Removing the natural character of the environment will happen soon. I was not going to be the city's cash cow while they allowed developers to ruin the nowhere town. It's a shame that it has become a beautiful graveyard.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM

155 posts, read 348,941 times
Similar story here, I retired from a state up north 4 years ago after 30 years and we moved to PC. I was unable to find acceptable p/t employment in the area and ended up taking a job with the state f/t. We rented for a year and were torn between buying a home here or moving back north. The thought of any more snow storms forced our hand and we bought in PC. I rue the day I decided to stay. Nice house on a private lot but the town, oh the town. Just be 100% sure that you want to be here before buying. The underclass has been moving up from the DB area. You may buy your retirement home and find that the other homes in the area are rented by the unemployed, under employed and the "self employed", all of whom are no doubt on welfare and can't rub two dimes together. Avoid, P, R, Z, B, U and S. Also, in any area, do you homework. C is probably the best bet but even there be careful and look out for a lot of rentals in the area and duplex housing. Also, hope you like to drive as there are no malls or good restaurants in the area. No good gyms either, just small mom and pops. We drive up to Jax Town Center to dine out and to shop. We go up to Whole Foods once a month for items we like that we can't get at Publix and WD. Personally, I would love to see more retired people with incomes come into the area, just be sure it's for you! Be really, really careful.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 20,127 times
Thanks, season10. i'm relocating my small family from the west coast and was looking for an accurate feel for the town and the people. the gangs, getto thugs are something i'm trying to get away from as i've been in los angeles for over 10 years now. are these the types of people that you'd see regularly when you are say, out grocery shopping or out having lunch in palm coast? i'm looking at a gated community closer to the beach, would you say that these types have also infiltrated the gated communities? thanks for your input.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM

55 posts, read 154,870 times
We could not find a house in any of the sections in PC, most were foreclosures that seemed to have mold issues. We were feeling very frustrated in our search and then came across Hidden Lakes . Check it out. Brand new construction starting at $150,000...we are using Payta homes. Granite & wood cabinetry is standard w Payta Home
Low HOA fee of only $500 per year
Community pool will be built soon... Could be a year or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville