Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,302 times

Advertisements

We were dealing with the company directly. The biggest lesson we learned was always put everything in writing on your contract. A math challenged architect? Isn't that an oxymoron? I'm glad your fence turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM

48 posts, read 167,894 times
I used Darmata Fence to install a shadowboxed wood fence in 2006 and have been very happy with the fence. I had them come out last winter and perform a minor gate adjustment but that's been the only work I've had to have performed on the fence. Darmata was actually a referral from a Ponte Vedra fencing company since they didn't sell the wood fencing I wanted but they recommended his work. He does both wood and vinyl. Very courteous, efficient, and prompt both for the estimate and the scheduling. I needed a fence over Christmas after we got two dogs - he was the best price of the 3 quotes I obtained, and was able to start work within the week despite the holiday. Even on something as minor as a gate adjustment, I've found him and his crew to be professional and customer-centric.

Referred a friend to him three years ago and they've been very satisfied as well. That friend has unfortunately had cars crash through his fence twice since then (no, the wood fence wouldn't stop a car veering off a 45mph roadway) but each time Darmata's had his foreman or himself out quickly and made the repairs properly and thoroughly.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
When we were building our house - everything - and I mean everything was in writing. I think that's why we were on cordial terms with our builder when the house was finished.

Not only did our architect sometimes have problems with math - our builder did too. It's a good thing we were on the job every day and caught any mistakes while they were being made. But our architect (now deceased) had a good sense of aesthetics - and our builder built "sturdy". So - overall - we were pretty happy with the results. Robyn

Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 AM

28 posts, read 70,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hey - this is maybe the first time I've ever agreed with you . We used Edwards Ornamental when we built our house in 1995. Not for a fence - but for front porch railings. Powder coated aluminum. The work was not inexpensive - but it was done perfectly. And it has lasted longer than I expected. It is only now - at age 16 - that the powder coating on some of the caps where the railings go into the concrete is starting to spall a bit. One day - when we aren't feeling lazy - we will probably just sand off the areas where the spallng is - and spray paint them (the only way to get a new factory finish is to yank the railings out of the concrete and take them back to Edwards for a professional paint job - a prohibitively expensive proposition).

BTW - this is a picture of some of our railings:

Ryde41 - what's the basis for your statement that Edwards Ornamental is a "crook"? What problems did you have? We didn't have any problems with the company at all.

Also - to the OP - make sure that your fence plans comply with any applicable zoning rules/building codes/HOA rules/etc. Robyn

Love the house Robyn. Front porch is great! I hope we can find something like that.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 AM

35 posts, read 137,759 times
I would recommend Armstrong.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingonsunshine View Post
Love the house Robyn. Front porch is great! I hope we can find something like that.
Well good luck in your search for a house. We had to build one ourselves to get what we wanted. Robyn

Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM

28 posts, read 60,216 times
Call Stephens Fencescape 465-0423 for a free quote, They are a small gig out of Fruit Cove i believe. I had them do some work on my rentals and my own house. I was very impressed with them. Attention to detail seems to be #1 to him thru out our conversations and projects. He does all styles of fencing and even ornamental Gates and railings.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM

216 posts, read 475,473 times
I have a similar problem even though I do my own work. I have a huge inground pool. two levels, two connected oval shapes, and the childproof fence took so much space and is way too ugly. I found it cheaper and much more attractive to install a retractable cover over the pool. You can't fall through it! As far as liability, I believe you only have to secure the back yard, not necessarily the pool. Even an adult would need tools to cut through the cover and I think that eliminates the negligence factor. Six months of the year I don't use my pool anyway and it saves the cost of chemicals and pump filter electricity. Search for them on the net.

You don't have to spend as much as that either. You could get a heavy duty tarp made with grommets designed to fit the existing holes for a child fence if you have them, and for an average size pool cost would be maybe 2k. Even an adult couldn't fall through that but he would get wet. A child would just bounce.

Last edited by grayrunner; 09-07-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 7,652 times
Yes all fence must meet state and federal laws concering fence aka The ladder law. Fence must not be more than 4" between verticals in the fence and must be at least 48" between the horizonals in fence unless the picket spacing is less. Check on line for your state as that is for FL and it is on line. Everyone should do thier homework on what is allowed and what isn't as well as on the contractor. In the above the pool contractor should have spoken up as well as a bad sales rep for the fence company and a unknowing customer, all should take part of the blame.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,652 times
Tarping here in FL will not pass. As long as the back yard is protected not allowing people in will pass a simple tarp will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville