Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What made you decide to build where you did?
Location 9 90.00%
Bilder 1 10.00%
Model 1 10.00%
Lot 2 20.00%
HOA/CDD Fees 1 10.00%
Schools 3 30.00%
Other 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 AM

199 posts, read 468,883 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have purchased homes in some of the new developments, what made up your mind?

We knew what we wanted and where we wanted to be, at least we thought we did. Now we are confused, especially me. There are so many things to consider and I haven't figured out what to weigh the heaviest.

What sold you most when you purchased? Was it the lot? The builder? The model? The HOA/CDD fees? The school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
The three most important words in real estate ... "Location, Location, Location!"

Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
I second that. Although location embodies all the rest.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
I thought about this for a bit and came to the conclusion that just about everything in your poll is dependent on location;
Which builder you choose depends on where he is building.
Which model you choose is dependent on which builder is building it and where he is building it.
Which lot you choose again is nothing but location, in a development.
If you have a HOA/CDD fee or not is again dependent on location. Some developments do and some don't have them.
What schools your kids attend is dependent on location also, Which didtrict you live in.
So again I say ... "Location, Location, Location!"

Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,843 times
I'd have to go with location overall, too - but for us that meant the best public schools, which was a top priority. Location also meant the amenities we wanted in a neighborhood that we felt was what we were looking for. (We had seen a lot of neighborhoods with a ton of foreclosures, so we were trying to avoid that).

Once we found that neighborhood, we found a house that met our needs. We did have to bump up our budget and the lot is definitely not ideal, but it's not a big deal for us.

Moving here from out of state, I was literally in tears after our first day of househunting. I never thought I'd find what we wanted, but by the second day after visiting where we live now, I felt MUCH better and now we are very happy where we are.

There's something out there for you! Good luck with your decision...I know it's a hard one!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

196 posts, read 427,654 times
I have to agree with all the above - Location was key for us! I also agree with Hlauburn, that location for us was tied to the schools in the area. While we considered a few different areas, all with good schools, the area we chose was for it's overall location in terms of closeness to the beach, ease of commute to downtown Jax, etc. Once we were settled on location, it did take us a while to determine neighborhood and builder in that location. Floor plan was very imprortant to us and we had a hard time finding a floor plan that was exactly what we were looking for in a neighbhorhood we were interested in. Just when we were about to throw in the towel, a new floor plan became available from a builder that we liked and it seemed all meant to be. Like Hlauburn, our lot would not be our first pick, but we have the perfect floorplan (for our family) in the location that we desire, by a builder that we respect.

My advice would be to determine WHERE you want to live first - if it has CDD/HOA fees, see what you are getting for those fees. If you have nice ammentities, nice parks, walkways, guard gates, landscaping, golf courses, etc., you might feel that a small yearly contribution to the upkeep of those things is worth it. We have both in our new neighbhorhood, but I feel that we are contributing to what makes us want to live there in the first place, so I do not mind those fees. After you determine WHERE you want to live and if you are willing or not willing to pay the fees, I personally would think about floorplan. If you know what type of house that you would like to live in, then you can go from builder to builder seeing if they have something that works for your family. If you find a floorplan that you like, then you can begin determining if they are a worthy builder. If you find that they are not, you can go to other builders and see if they have anything similar to what you like - sometimes they have plans in other communities that they can transfer over - sometimes they will not do that. Depends on the builder, but it never hurts to ask! Once ALL of that is determined, then start looking for you lot - ususally you can find one that you can make work, even if it would not have been your first pick!

It has taken us over a year for all of all stars to line up, so I do know what you are going through! It is very confusing and just when you think you have your mind made up, someone comes along and makes you rethink things. Just keep going back to where your gut is telling you that you want to be - someone can always agrue another point of view, but if you are where you truly want to be, you won't care what that person has to say! Back to the orginal point, Location is the key! Good luck with your decision - when you come to your final one, you will be so happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville