Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM

47 posts, read 155,683 times

Advertisements

I have been bugging my wife for months now to get on theis site and ask a few questions, but she says she keeps forgetting. I love this site everyone is so helpful. Quick background, I have written on here with questions several time, thanks again. My wife, 2 kids and I are very seriosly thinking of moving to Jacksonville. I am a teacher and a bartender (teacher pay sucks) my wife is a registered nurse. I am more concerned with the money she will make than myself. In Seattle ,where we live now, she makes 29$ an hour. She makes an additional 3$ per hour for nights and another 3$ for weekends. Basically her money here is good. We have searched for info on what RN's can expect to make in the Jacksonville area and have not had much luck. She has 1 1/2 years experience on the medical surgery floor. I know it is a ballpark figure but can anyone give us an idea of what RN's make down there? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM

286 posts, read 1,231,636 times
My friend is an RN at Baptist Downtown - she works nights and her pay is close (if not higher) than what your wife makes. I know that the night shift pays more than the day shift. Healthcare is a big field here in Jax, with all of the different hospitals. Just to name a few: Baptist, Memorial, St. Vincent's, St. Luke's and Mayo Clinic - there are also satellite hospitals like Baptist South, Baptist Beaches, etc. Also, there's Shands Downtown as well.

Best of luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:36 PM

47 posts, read 155,683 times
Thanks for the response. I will tell my wife to check those hospitals out.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:24 AM

114 posts, read 327,788 times
She could also get information from allnurses.com. It is a great source for regional information. I'm a RN as well, although I haven't returned to work since moving here. All indications on allnurses.com is that the job market here even for RN's is very tight.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 18,329 times
Default Nursing Jax ....

We have a neighbor who is an RN and she earns in excess of forty thousand and she works for a private concern in the area but I have no idea what the job market for nurses locally is. Sorry.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

238 posts, read 887,410 times
I'm an RN but in a very specialized niche. Although I'm not looking, I do try to keep tabs on the job market for nurses. There does seem to be a number of home care agency opportunities but I don't see very many desirable hospital shifts or clinic positions advertised.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 34,262 times
Cool Pay here is lousy!

Pay here is closer to $26/hr plus $2 differentials. But we have a glut of RNs here in Jax, and it is very hard to get a job. 1 & 1/2 yrs of med surg just will not be considered as a very impressive credential. I'm sorry. We have tons of new grads clamoring for jobs, and due to the economic downturn, every old retired RN that thought the 401K had enough for retirement is now back in the job market,too. (That's me... 20 yrs work experience... great credentials, and down here... I can hardly get 10 hours a week.) If you have a job.... be grateful. If you are happy, don't change things. Honestly, I wish I had not made the move.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM

216 posts, read 475,277 times
My youngest is an UNF BS grad RN doing her internship downtown and she has an offer of free med school from the navy and Air force but she doesn't like the commitment of 6 years and wearing a uniform. (yes that does make me crazy) She also has another BS with heavy science background and top scores on the exam, etc. But I am concerned about her future because she is not the empathic person to be really satisfied with this career. And with multiple nursing schools locally cranking out grads and the hospitals importing them from the PI or Indonesia etc when their salary demands get too high, you might think about some recent studies about the coming health care crisis in rural America. Google it! Tons of unfilled jobs and with the aging of America a tidal wave coming.

An RN could make quite a bit more and get a retirement by joining one of the Armed Forces Reserve Units.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 13,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luauelvis View Post
I have been bugging my wife for months now to get on theis site and ask a few questions, but she says she keeps forgetting. I love this site everyone is so helpful. Quick background, I have written on here with questions several time, thanks again. My wife, 2 kids and I are very seriosly thinking of moving to Jacksonville. I am a teacher and a bartender (teacher pay sucks) my wife is a registered nurse. I am more concerned with the money she will make than myself. In Seattle ,where we live now, she makes 29$ an hour. She makes an additional 3$ per hour for nights and another 3$ for weekends. Basically her money here is good. We have searched for info on what RN's can expect to make in the Jacksonville area and have not had much luck. She has 1 1/2 years experience on the medical surgery floor. I know it is a ballpark figure but can anyone give us an idea of what RN's make down there? Thanks in advance
My husband and I relocated here little over a year ago. I have been a nurse for 15 years and have never been anywhere where it has been hard to find a job. The nursing job market here is very competitive and unless your wife can work prn and not carry the insurance her pay will not be good. Florida does not pay their nurses well and with so many of us here they don't have to. I did travel nursing and the majority of nurses I met were from florida, mississippi, and louisianna. The pay in the North is so much better and the market is better for nursing. I wish we did not move here and I am considering getting out. I love the area, and the weather but I fear for my families stabitity. We lived in south carolina for a year, I could quit my job and have another by the end of the next day, not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: