Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

So I'll be moving to Jax in about a month and I've read quite a bit on the different neighborhoods. I'm a 27 y/o single male so it seems that Riverside would be the best spot for me to live. My questions are:

1 - Are there specific streets in Riverside that has a concentration of young professionals? It seems like I should target the 5 Points area around Lomax/Margaret/Park but are there any other streets? The more specific the better!

2 - Are there an apartment complexes that cater to the younger crowd? I've looked at Bell Riverside but when I called and ask about demographics they wouldn't answer.(Other apartments have given me this information) It's a bit pricey compared to other rentals in the area so it makes me think its more of an elderly group. I would like to have access to a pool though so if there are any complexes that you know of please share.

3- How long is the commute from Riverside to the Deer Lake Drive area? Google tells me 19 minutes but I'm wondering what its like during rush hour traffic.

4 - Like I said earlier I would really like having a pool so the apartment complexes near St Johns Town Center are attractive to me but from reading here there isn't as many young people there as its more suburban. But are there any apartments that young people(maybe from UNF) flock to in the area?

I realize many of these questions have been answered(more or less) in other threads but I want the most current/accurate information as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
Anything around Memorial Park...like this one...
Gorgeous 2 Bedroom Apartment

You will be happy near your work also (near Town Center), you'll just have to drive to where you want to go, no walking areas. I wouldn't live near UNF students, they will be noisy neighbors. I think UNF students live off Kernan Blvd, Hodges Blvd and probably Georgetown apartments at Town Center.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM

725 posts, read 2,571,745 times
I thought you were someone that posted here before. What's at Deer Lake Drive? (The street off Marsh Landing Parkway?) Your work? I would definitely not live in Riverside if that's somewhere you are heading on a regular basis. In the morning it would be awful.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM

448 posts, read 829,643 times
If you can get from Deer Lake Drive (Marsh Landing) in 19 minutes then NASCAR teams are looking for you. Anything less than 25-30 minutes is speeding. At rush hour it takes me 45-60 minutes to get from my home in OakBridge at the Players Club to my office in Riverside, depending on accidents, weather and construction. Non-rush hour it takes me about 30 minutes to get to my office. That's driving at the posted speed limit.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes my work is located on Deer Lake drive. I'm pretty disappointed hearing about how long it would take to travel there from Riverside. Everything I've read points to the being 'the' place to live for young singles.

With that said, what are some of the apartments near SJTC that aren't so family oriented? I know there is the Esplanade Condos but it seems like a b*tch to deal with all that traffic just to get to your apartment.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
I think the OP is talking about E/W Deer Lake Drive off of Gate Parkway - not Deer Lake Drive in Marsh Landing (which is a residential neighborhood).

And the OP should take a look at the planned construction projects on roads like I-95 and perhaps JTB (could be wrong - but I recall a couple of big ones will be starting on I-95 in 2013 - I don't remember where). Robyn

Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,883 times
Yes, Riverside is nice, but the commute from Ponte Vedra Beach would be kinda bad.

I'm no expert on apt. complexes in the area, but why aren't you looking for something around the beaches? There are lots of single young people there.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think the OP is talking about E/W Deer Lake Drive off of Gate Parkway - not Deer Lake Drive in Marsh Landing (which is a residential neighborhood).
Oh, St. John's Town Center to Riverside shouldn't be that bad. Probaby 15 - 20 minutes on the weekend or off hours. I-95 can be a parking lot through there around 5 pm, though. And as Robyn stated, it's supposed to get worse before it gets better. Figure 30 - 40 minutes at rush hour.

I don't know about young professional complexes, but Riverside,
and 5 Points in particular, are very nice. It's one of the best overall and most popular residential areas in Jacksonville. You should like it there. Where you're working the beaches could be another option, though. Just a thought.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 12-30-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Yes, I'm indeed talking about E/W Lake Wood Drive near SJTC.

I guess the beaches are an option but from what I've gathered it's probably more boisterous than what I'm looking for. I should probably look into the beach area a bit more...

I'm glad to hear SJTC to Riverside would be doable commute wise. Can anyone comment on the Bell Riverside apartments there? I'm wondering why they are so much more expensive then all the other rentals in the area. Does anyone know if many of the residential units there have pools? As stated earlier, I'd really like access to a pool. It seems by only options in Riverside with that in mind are Bell Riverside and the apartment building on the opposite side of Memorial Park.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateofmind View Post
Can anyone comment on the Bell Riverside apartments there? I'm wondering why they are so much more expensive then all the other rentals in the area. Does anyone know if many of the residential units there have pools? As stated earlier, I'd really like access to a pool. It seems by only options in Riverside with that in mind are Bell Riverside and the apartment building on the opposite side of Memorial Park.

Thanks for the quick feedback.
First of all, the Riverside area was annexed by the city of Jacksonville in 1887. It's a neighborhood of mostly single family homes and smaller multi unit buildings of maybe 2 - 10 units. There just aren't many complexes with pools. That's part of the charm of the whole thing actually.

The Bell Riverside Apartments appear to be very nice and are sitting on one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in that area. The apartments are located directly on the St. John's River, next to Memorial Park, directly across the street from a very nice Publix grocery store, Starbucks, Eistein Brothers Bagels, etc.and right in the middle of everything that area of 5 points has to offer. You've got banks, parks, restaurants, a movie theater, pubs, shops, etc, all within several blocks of your front door. The location is great. On the other hand, it appears a one bedroom apartment there starts at more than we pay for our mortgage on a 4 bedroom house. I guess it's location, location, location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: