Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: To move or not to move?
Melbourne, Australia 9 81.82%
Jacksonville, Florida 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 AM

9 posts, read 13,362 times

Advertisements

So my hubby is from Jacksonville and I'm from Australia. We are trying to decide where to live, and I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both options, and as far as I see it it's a little like this: Australia has a great healthcare system, proper seasons, good pay and job opportunities, my family is here and very supportive, I can finish my education for free (basically) and we can save a lot of money. In Florida the weather is beautiful year round, we are more likely to be able to afford a house, hubby's family are there and equally as supportive, and I feel like we will be able to afford a more enjoyable lifestyle, and be able to enjoy the beach regularly (we are two hours away from the beach in Australia).

Hubby is planning to become an electrician but hasn't started studying yet, I'm an enrolled nurse and I'm trying to work out the equivalent qualification in Florida, or if I would need to study the further two years to obtain my bachelors degree, become a registered nurse and then sit the NCLEX?

Also we have a pet cat and cannot leave Australia for at least two more years because that is how long it will take for hubby to get his Australian citizenship.

I'm just looking for some input, ideas, suggestions, opinions etc, because I don't know how to decide!!

Thanks in advance, S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I wouldn't let being near the beach be a factor at all. Australia has along coastline- just move closer to the ocean ! You like warm year round and hot and humid for a good part of the year ( Florida weather) then just move to Darwin .

So beach aside, what should you do. To make your self really competitive, you should get a BA in nursing. To be competitive in the field and make advances and any good money in the US, that is what you would really need.

For health care, Australia is best. And this is a big factor. Most jobs in the US come with not so great health care, you'd be paying into it usually to some extent even with employer coverage. Lose you job in the US and you're out of luck. Your husband would make the most money in the US by being self employed. However, health insurance for the self employed is beyond expensive, He would have to depend on you having an employer with a family plan.

The cat is not a concern. It's not a big deal bringing the cat here. He or she can fly can fly in the cabin of the airplane with you. We have no quarantine periods / crazy rules.

For the social safety net aspects of life, Australia is best. Nursing is a good career in Florida- you might be OK here. However, with the housing market down and new construction no where near where it was and not likely to be at previous levels again in FL , there is less need for electricians. Hubby would be starting at the bottom which is not good and might need to apprentice for some time to get experience.
For him, employment might be a lot more uncertain for a very long time.

Florida is a good state- but it's not paradise when you're just starting out. Healthcare wise, retirement options, social safety net, Australia is likely the better choice-

Good luck watever you do.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Advantages to moving?

Housing in Florida, and specifically Jacksonville, is relatively inexpensive.

Nursing is in demand. For a new nurse, I'd recommend getting your bachelors, as it gives you an edge, but that's up to you.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your responses

I should have mentioned that living on the coastline in Australia either means being in a very rural area, or having a million dollars! So that's why the appeal of the Jax beach lifestyle is so strong for me.

Also moving up north here would get me the weather, but it would isolate us both from our family and friends, which we have in both Melbourne and Jax.

So I'm leaning more and more to finishing my Bachelors degree, it will only take me two more years so it seems really worth it. Hubby mostly wants to become an electrician because that's where the money is at in Australia, we're talking upwards of $35 an hour and that's if you're working for someone else! He has his AA and some classes towards a journalism degree, worked at Publix for 3 years and has restaurant and management experience. Is there maybe a better career choice out there for him? He is at a stage where he doesn't know what he wants to do, and doesn't mind working hard at whatever comes along. We heard rumors of good pay, medical etc in the mining and nuclear power businesses...

And I'll have to look into the pet thing more, I had no idea! They have to be in quarantine for at least three months if you bring them to Australia!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it and just need to sort of talk it through

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Electricians do make good money, but starting out is difficult. Hard to break in, per se.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Well we have the advantage of already having an apprenticeship lined up, with good insurance, good starting pay (or so I think? $12.40 an hour as a first year), and with school paid for.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Fr what it's worth, my brother is a journeyman electrician in the Jacksonville area who used to keep busy more than full time with work for the Navy contractors. For the past several years work has been very difficult to get and he has fallen back on other skills. He's taking the test for nursing school because the jobs are so much more plentiful. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM

89 posts, read 131,108 times
Default Melbourne vs Jax

Get a rabies shot for the cat. Unlike Australia, rabies in the U.S. is common among wildlife - armadillos, raccoons, opposums, bats, etc. If you come to the US almost every vet's office, pet sitting service, all the airlines, and the Jax office that monitors this will REQUIRE that you pet have this.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Doesn't Australia have a free healthcare system? If so I wouldn't trade that security to come live in the US especially when you have tens of millions of Americans without any health insurance.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I wouldn't let being near the beach be a factor at all. Australia has along coastline- just move closer to the ocean ! You like warm year round and hot and humid for a good part of the year ( Florida weather) then just move to Darwin .

So beach aside, what should you do. To make your self really competitive, you should get a BA in nursing. To be competitive in the field and make advances and any good money in the US, that is what you would really need.

For health care, Australia is best. And this is a big factor. Most jobs in the US come with not so great health care, you'd be paying into it usually to some extent even with employer coverage. Lose you job in the US and you're out of luck. Your husband would make the most money in the US by being self employed. However, health insurance for the self employed is beyond expensive, He would have to depend on you having an employer with a family plan.

The cat is not a concern. It's not a big deal bringing the cat here. He or she can fly can fly in the cabin of the airplane with you. We have no quarantine periods / crazy rules.

For the social safety net aspects of life, Australia is best. Nursing is a good career in Florida- you might be OK here. However, with the housing market down and new construction no where near where it was and not likely to be at previous levels again in FL , there is less need for electricians. Hubby would be starting at the bottom which is not good and might need to apprentice for some time to get experience.
For him, employment might be a lot more uncertain for a very long time.

Florida is a good state- but it's not paradise when you're just starting out. Healthcare wise, retirement options, social safety net, Australia is likely the better choice-

Good luck watever you do.
I would counter this with the fact that construction has been improving steadily and dramatically in some instances. 2012 was extremely busy, and suppliers are running out of materials trying to keep up with the demand. It heated back up around October 2011 and hasn't slowed down since, so finding good manpower has been a real challege for a while now for many companies and the consensus all over the country is that we have bottomed out and will be steadily, albeit slowly, improving for years to come now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: