Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 PM

21 posts, read 45,678 times

Advertisements

Well now isn't this the regular debate?

Facts are:

Saint Augustine is not as segregated as it was, say, ten years ago.
Yes, King street and about half of the downtown area is more than prodominitly black. Yes, these areas are teeming with the majority of our crime. However, the crime doesn't end there. Overall the crime here is not that bad.

The downtown area is beautiful and has alot of really neat shops. To live downtown you need to be prepared to spend alot for the home as well as yearly taxes. The property taxes are the highest in the downtown area.

Jacksonville is about 25 to 40 minutes from here depending on which side of town you are in.

The North side of town is mostly older homes/neighborhoods and mobile homes. There is a nice fairly new golf community off fo SR16 between 95 and US1/Ponce DeLeon Blvd.

There is alot of construction happening here. Jacksonville and saint augustine are slowly merging into one. If you are looking for a moderate neighborhood with decent prices and crime levels look at "The South".

I don't know your price range, but the nicest place between here and Jax is World Golf Village, located off of 95 on World Golf Drive. However, the houses are very expensive.

Also, keep in mind that while the houses range generally between 200,000 and 400,000 in Saint Augustine, the economy stinks! Jobs are scarce and don't pay well. Our hospital is one of the worst I've ever been in as far as care goes. And, the new bumper sticker motto is "A quiant drinking village with a fishing problem". The "to do" list around here pretty much consists of :

1. Fish
2. Drink at a local bar downtown
3. Bowling at the local alley
4. Movies at our "mall" theater
5. the occasional festival ( Rythem & Ribs and the Indian Pow-wow)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
to speak of these mythical black areas that are clean, crime free and safe; yet as someone who has traveled 47 of the 50 states and lived in 9 of them, I can say that I have yet to encounter such an area.
Just this sentence alone is so indicative, so revealing...WOW!

My only hope is that people like the original poster who happen to read comments like the above quote will not get the impression that ALL of Northeast Florida is still infested with blind race haters after all these years.

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-24-2007 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertreefrog71 View Post
Well now isn't this the regular debate?

Facts are:

Saint Augustine is not as segregated as it was, say, ten years ago.
Yes, King street and about half of the downtown area is more than prodominitly black. Yes, these areas are teeming with the majority of our crime. However, the crime doesn't end there. Overall the crime here is not that bad.

The downtown area is beautiful and has alot of really neat shops. To live downtown you need to be prepared to spend alot for the home as well as yearly taxes. The property taxes are the highest in the downtown area.

Jacksonville is about 25 to 40 minutes from here depending on which side of town you are in.

The North side of town is mostly older homes/neighborhoods and mobile homes. There is a nice fairly new golf community off fo SR16 between 95 and US1/Ponce DeLeon Blvd.

There is alot of construction happening here. Jacksonville and saint augustine are slowly merging into one. If you are looking for a moderate neighborhood with decent prices and crime levels look at "The South".

I don't know your price range, but the nicest place between here and Jax is World Golf Village, located off of 95 on World Golf Drive. However, the houses are very expensive.

Also, keep in mind that while the houses range generally between 200,000 and 400,000 in Saint Augustine, the economy stinks! Jobs are scarce and don't pay well. Our hospital is one of the worst I've ever been in as far as care goes. And, the new bumper sticker motto is "A quiant drinking village with a fishing problem". The "to do" list around here pretty much consists of :

1. Fish
2. Drink at a local bar downtown
3. Bowling at the local alley
4. Movies at our "mall" theater
5. the occasional festival ( Rythem & Ribs and the Indian Pow-wow)

Good luck.
Pretty much a 100% accurate post (except for the "drinking village" bumper sticker being "new". That dumb thing has been around for near a decade )

Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM
LM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Just this sentence alone is so indicative, so revealing...WOW!

My only hope is that people like the original poster who happen to read comments like the above quote will not get the impression that ALL of Northeast Florida is still infested with blind race haters after all these years.
Yeah. OK.
Kumbaya.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertreefrog71 View Post
I second "The South" as a nice neighborhood. I would add to it "The Shores", which is 'right next door' to "The South". Both are big, established, solid middle class neighborhoods with well priced, good-sized homes.

"The Shores" has a clubhouse, pool, park on the Intracoastal Waterway, nature trails, etc. - it's worth a look .

But as mentioned previously, for work you'd most likely be heading to Jacksonville and this part of St. Aug, though very nice, will be a long commute.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
LM1

There was actually a lot of speculative money put into both the shores and the south (for older, established homes) and right now, the selling prices of most all of them are bearing a pretty substantial discount over what they were 2 years ago. (You can buy for $150 today what was $199 two years ago)

The Shores/South is a very nice area, with a slight edge of 'niceness' going to the South, but not by much.

The Shores was St. Augustines first "cookie cutter" community when they first ran out of land around the historic district. Before the Shores, "St. Augustine" was almost entirely defined by Anastasia Island and the Historic District (back when St. George Street was actually the center of town commerce- it had auto parts stores, grocers, etc instead of T Shirt Shops, trinket stores and Post Card peddlers that occupy it today.. Back when you could still drive on it)

IMO, you would be fine buying in the Shores or the South. If I were buying in St. Aug and looking for the $175-$300 range, I would unquestionably look there first.

Also, keep an eye out on St. Augustine Beach.
St. Aug Beach and the Historic District are the two 'natural' upper-tier communities of St. Augustine (with World Golf Village being the third 'unnatural' upper tier community) with the difference being, there are still a lot of modest homes in the St. Aug Beach area that offer killer location without paying a gross premium for extreme amounts of square footage.

You're not going to find anything cheap in St. Aug Beach within "listening distance" to the ocean, but there are a lot of very good prospects there. I am extremely, extremely bullish on St. Aug Beach over the long term. It offers everything that other FL seaside communities offer at 1/3rd the price.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
There was actually a lot of speculative money put into both the shores and the south (for older, established homes) and right now, the selling prices of most all of them are bearing a pretty substantial discount over what they were 2 years ago. (You can buy for $150 today what was $199 two years ago)

The Shores/South is a very nice area, with a slight edge of 'niceness' going to the South, but not by much.

The Shores was St. Augustines first "cookie cutter" community when they first ran out of land around the historic district. Before the Shores, "St. Augustine" was almost entirely defined by Anastasia Island and the Historic District (back when St. George Street was actually the center of town commerce- it had auto parts stores, grocers, etc instead of T Shirt Shops, trinket stores and Post Card peddlers that occupy it today.. Back when you could still drive on it)

IMO, you would be fine buying in the Shores or the South. If I were buying in St. Aug and looking for the $175-$300 range, I would unquestionably look there first.

Also, keep an eye out on St. Augustine Beach.
St. Aug Beach and the Historic District are the two 'natural' upper-tier communities of St. Augustine (with World Golf Village being the third 'unnatural' upper tier community) with the difference being, there are still a lot of modest homes in the St. Aug Beach area that offer killer location without paying a gross premium for extreme amounts of square footage.

You're not going to find anything cheap in St. Aug Beach within "listening distance" to the ocean, but there are a lot of very good prospects there. I am extremely, extremely bullish on St. Aug Beach over the long term. It offers everything that other FL seaside communities offer at 1/3rd the price.
Totally agree with all of what you said ! And, OP, from The Shores or The South, you have only a 15 or so minute drive to the beach door-to-door !

Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
LM1

Yeah, also, keep in mind that both the Shores and the South have ICW properties.
They're going to be very, very expensive but you aren't that far from water. If you own a boat, you might want to keep in mind that the Shores has (had?) a public launch.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
check out local.live.com its msn's version of google earth and I recently checked my neighborhood and the picture is about 1 1/2 years old ( my roof is on but the landscaping wasn't in) it will give you a more updated look of west of 95 (WGV area).

Plus I love the "birds eye view" which isn't available for all locations but it's really cool.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 PM

24 posts, read 126,549 times
some of the replies in this post are disturbing and way overgeneralized....wow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville