Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM

66 posts, read 117,963 times

Advertisements

I have been planning for over a year to move to Jax from KC. I have one child, a daughter, who is 26 and married. Even though we are extraordinarily close, she has been reassuring me that she is fine with my decision to move because we can Skype and we will see each other often.
Well, last night she had a few drinks in her and the cosmos were definitely loosening her lips! She 'fessed up that she doesn't want me to move. I think in part it's because her hubby just started a new job that his him traveling quite a bit and I think she thinks if I'm gone too she will be completely alone.
But, I am wondering if there is a way for a non-wealthy person to make it work to live 5 or 6 months out of the year in FL and the rest of the year in another city. I don't own a home in KC (since getting killed in the housing bust I've been renting) and I don't need to own in FL. But I'm wondering how/if this could be affordable? Anyone have experience with this - how to make it financially viable to split your time between two places? I'm still reeling a bit from her confession last night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Yay! Problem solved! It took one of my friends to point out the obvious I was missing - if I live in Jax, I can come to KC whenever my daughter's hubby leaves town for business. (Because I can work from anywhere.) Mostly he'll be out of town a couple of weeks per month in the spring and summers (worst storm seasons). I could come to KC for a week or two a month (not that I think she will really want me here that often.) Such a relief to know I don't have to give up my dream of living on the coast to support my kiddo!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,044,417 times
Keep this in mind: if by coming bact to KC you mean you will be staying/living with your daughter at her house and this may lead to new conflicts with her, her hubby and possibly you. don't forget to factor in the cost to travel can get expensive when you are flying back and forth multiple times a year. I have houses in Florida and Pennsylvania 1300 miles apart and every time I go to Florida its costs me at least $450 in travel costs needless to say I spend a lot more time in PA then I do in FL because of the travel costs and my employment requirements.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM

I appreciate the input. I'd only be with her a couple of weeks at a time while her hubby is out of town. She does have a spare bedroom. My expenses would be plane tickets and food while there. I think this work. And the great thing about starting out renting in FL is that if it doesn't work for us, I can always move back to KC when my lease is up. Although, I'm hoping and praying eventually they will want to move to FL - a mom can hope, right?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Just curious...why do you say "dreaded" snowbird? Are you afraid that people in Florida won't like you if you are a snowbird? Have you read negative comments here or elsewhere about snowbirds?

There may be some grumbling here and there about snowbirds, some good natured, some not, but Florida's economy depends on the snowbirds in a very huge way. Think about the millions or possibly billions of dollars that seasonal residents pump into the economy in Florida and you will realize that Florida would be in a lot of trouble without their snowbird population.

I wouldn't be ashamed or apprehensive about being a snowbird. As long as you are nice and don't do stupid things like have loud parties every night or let your dog relieve itself in your neighbor's yard, no one has any business caring one way or the other if you are a snowbird or a full-time resident. I can think of a whole lot of people who would find themselves out of work if the snowbirds suddenly stopped coming!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Good luck to you! I think the best times to get out of Jax weather-wise is from May-September.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM

canudigit.
Yes, I used "dreaded" a bit tongue in cheek but I have heard some people use the term a bit derogatorily. I agree with your stance - I'm sure the FL economy is greatly boosted by seasonal residents.
But for me, personally, I'm excited to be on my way to becoming a full time resident!

Projectmaximus:
Thanks for your good wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville