Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,417 times

Advertisements

I would like to add two more hose bibs on the outside of the house and haven't the slightest idea what it takes or who to call. I would assume a plumber, but I'm clueless. Suggestions/Ideas? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
I don't know what's involved either. But you might get more responses on the House forum here.

We use B&G plumbing. Can recommend the company. But I suspect you'll need workers in addition to plumbers. Robyn

Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM

581 posts, read 920,558 times
Generally speaking the usual way to add additional hose bibs in a completed home is to trench from existing water lines that are not controlled by irrigation valves. Any good plumber should be able to install them in 1/2 a day.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Generally speaking the usual way to add additional hose bibs in a completed home is to trench from existing water lines that are not controlled by irrigation valves. Any good plumber should be able to install them in 1/2 a day.
If I get a couple estimates, what is a ballpark reasonable price? I know it depends on the situation, but are we talking hunreds of dollars or thousands of dollars?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM

195 posts, read 322,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
I would like to add two more hose bibs on the outside of the house and haven't the slightest idea what it takes or who to call. I would assume a plumber, but I'm clueless. Suggestions/Ideas? TIA!
Depends, is your house on-grade or off-grade? If it's off-grade it would be a simple thing to add more hose bibs, if it's on-grade you're looking at major work.
Off-grade you/plumber just tap into the already exposed water pipe under your house and run more pipe to where you want the extra bibs to be.
On-grade your plumber would have to tear up some of the foundation to access the piping and then dig out the foundation to route the new piping to the walls you want the new bibs to be on.
Being not from here, I have no idea who to recommend for this job, but just about any plumbing company could do it.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM

I would say easily more than a thousand - depending how your house is built. Our house has one main water line (that's not part of the irrigation system). It goes directly into the house. And all the plumbing lines - including the bib lines - were installed in the slab - before the slab was poured. IOW - they're all set in concrete now. My understanding is that if we had to repair/replace a line - we'd have to go through the walls and attic. IOW - a big deal - especially since we have a block house. And plumbers aren't going to repair any cuts in drywall or the like (not their job).

Also - it's the kind of job that probably requires a building permit - inspections - etc.

Do you have the plans that show how the plumbing in your house was done (or do you have an idea off the top of your head)? That should give you some idea of the scope of the job you're looking at. Robyn

Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I would say easily more than a thousand - depending how your house is built. Our house has one main water line (that's not part of the irrigation system). It goes directly into the house. And all the plumbing lines - including the bib lines - were installed in the slab - before the slab was poured. IOW - they're all set in concrete now. My understanding is that if we had to repair/replace a line - we'd have to go through the walls and attic. IOW - a big deal - especially since we have a block house. And plumbers aren't going to repair any cuts in drywall or the like (not their job).

Also - it's the kind of job that probably requires a building permit - inspections - etc.

Do you have the plans that show how the plumbing in your house was done (or do you have an idea off the top of your head)? That should give you some idea of the scope of the job you're looking at. Robyn
Our house is only a year old and was new construction, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. We do have an irrigation system, could they just hook into that?

Again, I'm a dummy, I dont know the answers to many of these questions.

PS - I didnt even know there were so many other forums on here, very cool, thank you!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM

If your house is only a year old - there's a 99%+ chance all your plumbing is in your slab. Do you have the plans? Is the builder still around? Perhaps you could ask the builder if there were any hose bib connections that were "stubbed out" during framing - but never connected.

I suppose that it is theoretically possible to attach a hose bib to an irrigation line. But you're not going to get any water unless the irrigation system is on. Which is kind of a problem. Robyn

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If your house is only a year old - there's a 99%+ chance all your plumbing is in your slab.
I was thinking the same thing, I think I'm screwed. Builder is still around but they're terrible, I'll wait around months to get an answer. Just got a peep hole installed after a year, they are beyond bad.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM

232 posts, read 573,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
I was thinking the same thing, I think I'm screwed. Builder is still around but they're terrible, I'll wait around months to get an answer. Just got a peep hole installed after a year, they are beyond bad.
what builder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville